How To Lose Weight While Taking Insulin

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts
I have not been able to lose weight and now that I am on Insulin I am gaining so quickly, if you have been successful in losing weight while on insulin can you share what you are doing? Thanks a bunch.

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
I was afraid of weight gain with insulin, but I've lost alot while on it (near 80 lbs).

Instead of taking insulin to cover my carbs, I ate carbs to cover my insulin. My goal was to reduce the amount of insulin I needed instead of increasing it. The only way that I know of to do that was decrease my carb intake.

I used 60 grams of carb per day as my bench mark. Not only that, I made sure that those were low GI carbs with the occasional medium GI carbs.

As the weight came off, which was rather rapidly in the beginning, I was able to decrease my lantus intake significantly without actually having to reduce the carb intake. In fact, I've been able to increase the carb intake. I suppose that's the whole insulin resistance thing. It decreased as my fat decreased.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts
Wow...80 lbs that is great!

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
The first 45-50 lbs came over the first 5 months or so. Then I added alot more exercise and the last 30 lbs have come over the past 4.5 months. This last bit I want to shed has been the most difficult. Just doesn't want to come off.

My original goal was to get to 175. I thought it would be a lofty, but doable goal. I made it without too much of a problem. Then I wanted to get down to my HS graduation weight of 165 which would make me proud at 41 years old and years of being 230+. I've broken that plateau and feel great, but now I want to hit 160 and call it quits with the weight loss goal.

This all sounds like weight loss was my primary goal, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Control of my blood sugars has always been and always be my primary goal. Getting off meds (which I have done) was also a lofty goal of mine. But weight loss was a pleasant side effect of the maintenance of proper blood sugar control, but since it was so tangible it was easy to make as a secondary goal.

Not everyone will attest to a low carb lifestyle, but I'll swear by it in my case.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

soso

soso

• 500 plus
  • 1,599 posts
Although I haven't lost ant significant weight while on insulin, I have developed a strategy for stopping he weight creep that can happen.

It's the same idea as jps.. keep the carbs down, reducing the need for insulin.. I also try to dose as accurately as I can as I noticed a lot of extra calories were going down the hatch to treat lows..worse still—I was not even enjoying those calories!
I try to eat enough at meals to take me to my next meal without snacks.. again, saving calories and saving insulin and reducing the risk of hypo's with stacked doses....
I try to get as much exercise as I can, never missing the chance to take the stairs or speed up on a hill for a burst if out walking.. it all helps...
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,906 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I've lost between 35 and 40 pounds on insulin. I limit my daily carbohydrate intake to an average of 80.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
My weight has stayed the same, give or take a pound or two, for the last 6 years. I also limit my carbohydrate intake and walk almost every night after dinner.

Karen

e||ement

e||ement

• 500 plus
  • 1,362 posts
sanflan
i've been in insulin for about 7 weeks. in the first two weeks i gained 3 pounds because i was told to take certain amounts of insulin at each meal, causing me to eat a lot more carbs than i normally would to avoid or treat the lows i was experiencing.

since joining this forum i've learned to adjust my doses to match the carbs i WANT to eat by figuring out my insulin:carb ratio (which is a little bit of a hit-and-miss due to the "honeymoon" phase i'm in).

but, i've now lost 4 pounds (the 3 pounds i gained with insulin and one extra for good luck!). i'm hoping to lose more now that i understand inuslin use a little better.

i also recommend the book Think Like a Pancreas...it's very helpful.

that said, i'd encourage you to try to determine your I:C ratio and make your doses as precise as possible! it seems to work!

good luck!
...|ashley|....
Now pumping with a Ping!

BillE

BillE

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts

My weight has stayed the same, give or take a pound or two, for the last 6 years. I also limit my carbohydrate intake and walk almost every night after dinner.

Karen

This is one of my big frustrations. I need to lose 50 lbs. I take a lot of insulin partly because I need to lose 50 lbs. I exercise every day and low carb, but I think I've lost maybe 3 lbs. in the last 2 months. It's a catch-22, and probably the thing that bothers me most.

Bill
1000mg Metformin twice a day
5-10 units Humalog before hi-carb meals only
45 units Lantus at night

1Lollygagger

1Lollygagger

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
sanflan,

Daily low carbohydrate intake has also been the way I've been losing weight. I currently average a daily carb intake of just under 40 grams. I'm seldom hungry and it allows me to minimize the amount of insulin that I take. I've reduced my Lantus dose by 30% from the baseline before I started low-carb dieting. As a result, in the past three months, I've lost about 35 pounds. I'm expecting that, on my next A1c, I'll have about a 5.3 level, down from the 6.9 in December of 2008 before I started taking Novolog with each low-carb meal. In my humble opinion, low-carb meals are the way to go for heavy type 2 people on insulin.

In case you've not read it, I'd highly recommend that you thoroughly explore the "Blood Sugar 101" website. The lady who wrote it makes a compelling case for low carbohydrate eating. Here is the link: Blood Sugar 101. Good luck!

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts

This is one of my big frustrations. I need to lose 50 lbs. I take a lot of insulin partly because I need to lose 50 lbs. I exercise every day and low carb, but I think I've lost maybe 3 lbs. in the last 2 months. It's a catch-22, and probably the thing that bothers me most.

Bill

Bill............how many grams of carbs are you consuming a day? You obviously know that the more food (carbs) you take in, the more insulin you need to cover it.

I have 2 friends who recently lost over 100-lbs each. Both took in less than 30g of carbs and walked 5 miles each day. On special occasions, they did cheat a bit. It took them one year to reach their goals.

Karen

BillE

BillE

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts

Bill............how many grams of carbs are you consuming a day? You obviously know that the more food (carbs) you take in, the more insulin you need to cover it.

I have 2 friends who recently lost over 100-lbs each. Both took in less than 30g of carbs and walked 5 miles each day. On special occasions, they did cheat a bit. It took them one year to reach their goals.

Karen

Coming up with a reliable carb/unit ratio has been the hardest thing for me. I try to eat around 50g per day. Part of the problem is that I like to make casseroles with large numbers of low carb stuff. Usually ground beef, a small amount of cream cheese, some shredded cheddar, green olives, sun-dried tomatos, salsa, green chilies, spinach, green beans, and other assorted spices. I'm not sure that I add the carbs up accurately (I'm not known as a great cook...). The rest of my diet basically consists of meats, cheese slices, mixed nuts, and the occasional salad. I know one of the problems for beginners is that we usually eat more carbs than we think we do. I'm working on it - but weight loss has never been easy for me. I've lost about 5 lbs. in the last month, so I know I need to be patient.

Bill
45 units Lantus at night

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Your casserole does sound good Bill. It's possible you are still consuming too many calories, even though you are pretty low on carbs. Something that gave me a huge jump start this Spring was riding a bike, early in the day. It's helpful to get that metabolism moving early, so that you are burning more calories all day long.

You are moving in the right direction; yes have some patience!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

BillE

BillE

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts

Your casserole does sound good Bill. It's possible you are still consuming too many calories, even though you are pretty low on carbs. Something that gave me a huge jump start this Spring was riding a bike, early in the day. It's helpful to get that metabolism moving early, so that you are burning more calories all day long.

You are moving in the right direction; yes have some patience!

I am riding my bike 30 minutes a day, plus I'm beginning resistance training every other day with the elastic bands. The calorie thing was something I have wondered about. I have read of others who have given up large amounts of cheese and such to accelerate the weight loss. It's taking a lot of will power for me to stay low carb - I hate the thought of giving up cheese as well...

Bill
45 units Lantus at night

kdhoney

kdhoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I'm new to forums so I'm hoping I'm doing this right. I just wanted to say I am so blessed and happy I found this site. I will be starting insulin at my next dr's visit in July and am very very concerned with weight gain since that's what my dr said to expect. I thought it was inevitable. But your posts have given me hope. I try low carb - not too successfully - but will certainly be going back to that way of eating. Thank you for all your insights.

C_M

C_M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Everyone :)

I am new to the site and am so happy to have found a knowledgeable place.

Those of you that have lost weight by eating less carbs, what do you typically eat? It seems like everything has carbs.

Would anyone be willing to list an example of what they eat during any given meal?

I am looking into seeing a dietician, out of pocket, because my insurance does not cover it. So, anyone that could share some knowledge, would be so appreciated.

Thank you :)

54U of Lantus at bedtime
500MG of Metformin, twice daily (breakfast/dinner)
160lbs, trying to lose 30lbs

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,638 posts
There's a thread for that! Low Carb Daily Diet is 20 pages of folks reporting what they eat on their low-carb diet.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

jiggy66

jiggy66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry to bring this post up from the dead, but I really wanted to comment on it. I googled "how to lose weight while on insulin" and this came up. I am a type 2 who had a cardiac episode at the age of 31...pretty scary! I dont believe it had anything to do with high cholesterol, etc but the years of uncontrollede blood sugars. Anyway, I am on insulin and have found that I am gaining weight instead of losing despite the fact that I am eating better than I ever have in the past. A lot of people have told me that this is because of the insulin. I am curious to know how you came to a good number of carbs to eat. Like some say 60, others say 40, etc. I had the same mentality as the guy with the UNLV avatar (GO REBS! lol) that obviously the less insulin you need, the better so less carbs = less insulin. It's frustrating, but I know it can be done. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TeddySue

TeddySue

SENIOR MEMBER!

• 500 plus
  • 4,096 posts

Sorry to bring this post up from the dead,

I'm really glad you did! I found the place where the low carb stuff is this way. Thanks
I am 6 weeks into insulin and have lost 20 pounds; it is very doable. I find that I no long
crave carbs like before.

chelle62

chelle62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am so happy I found this site. My story. I have been diabetic for 12 years now. I am type2 .. I have lost 162lbs. Now I have my dr. bugging me steady to go on insulin. I am afraid to as I dont want to gain any weight back. My family doesnt understand and maybe some of you wont either but I cannot gain weight. I have always been over weight and now I am down to only having 25 lbs to go to hit my goal. Well yesterday I saw a surgeon and he says I need surgery on my neck from a fall I had back in January , He wants me to go on insulin the week before and for 6 weeks at least after so that my number will be ok so that there will be no complications. Every thing that i have read up until I found this site says YOU WILL GAIN ON INSULIN. Now I have read all your comments and it gives me hope that I wont. I lost all my weight on low carb so I do know how to do it. My concern now is how will I know how much to eat so that I dont crash.. I am so scared of this , I really am I do want to add that as long as I do low carb my sugars arent to bad.. still in the high hundreds but in the morning they are still high.. always have been. So do you think the doc will just put me on a low dose? also I cant take oral medications cause they all make me very sick.. Does insulin make you sick when you first start it??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users