Photo

How long does it take for Metformin to be fully effective?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts
I've just started on Metformin. For the past year I've managed to hold an A1C of 5.5% using a low-carb diet backed by weight loss and not enough exercise. I can eat a wide range of foods in the evening, but in the mornings I'm very carb-sensitive and I hope the drug will allow me to extend my breakfast & lunch options a bit.

So, how many weeks will it be before I can say the Metformin is working to its full potential?

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,106 posts
It can take 3-5 weeks to reach full effect. As you are already low-carbing that may help the Metformin reach full potential sooner.

How much Met are you taking and when are you taking it?

I'm on 500mg twice daily, I have found taking my "evening" dose just before bed helps with my morning numbers - I did get Doctor approval before switching from taking it with dinner to taking it last thing at night.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts

How much Met are you taking and when are you taking it?

I'm on 500mg twice daily, I have found taking my "evening" dose just before bed helps with my morning numbers - I did get Doctor approval before switching from taking it with dinner to taking it last thing at night.

500mg, twice daily. In the evening I'm taking it with dinner thinking this might minimise the impact on my guts (so far I'm unaffected by this). Perhaps low carb constipation and the Metformin runs will combine to give me normal bowels :)

My numbers fluctuate in ways that can be unpredictable (especially in the morning) and I am wondering how/when to distinguish between the drug and the general background noise of daily BS variation.

rlscovens

rlscovens

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My doctor told me that it takes 3 months to get the full effect of the Metformin.
New diabetic
500mg Metformin daily
Come visit me @ Christians in Good Company and Joyce Meyer Ministry Partners:D

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,106 posts

500mg, twice daily. In the evening I'm taking it with dinner thinking this might minimise the impact on my guts (so far I'm unaffected by this). Perhaps low carb constipation and the Metformin runs will combine to give me normal bowels :)

I know some people do suffer gastric issues with Metformin, but not everyone. I've had fairly plain sailing with it. Since Nov'07 have had 2-3 Metformin Moments. I'd keeping going as you are at the moment. The general advice is to eat with (perhaps before) taking the metformin.

My numbers fluctuate in ways that can be unpredictable (especially in the morning) and I am wondering how/when to distinguish between the drug and the general background noise of daily BS variation.

I'd give it a few weeks so that you are seeing the benefit/effect of the metformin before experimenting with the timings of when you take the evening dose.

If you haven't done so before, perhaps do a search on the forums about Dawn Effect/Dawn phenomenon there are a number of things people try to sort out their morning numbers and something similar may help you.
Posted Image

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts

I'd give it a few weeks so that you are seeing the benefit/effect of the metformin before experimenting with the timings of when you take the evening dose.

If you haven't done so before, perhaps do a search on the forums about Dawn Effect/Dawn phenomenon there are a number of things people try to sort out their morning numbers and something similar may help you.

Thanks Dave. The dawn phenomenon is an old friend and it's also the time of day when I get the biggest variance in my numbers. The only solution I've found so far is have a small snack as soon as I wake up - it seems to switch my liver off.

What baffles me is that Metformin takes several weeks to build up in the body and become effective, yet users say the time of day they take it, especially in the evening, has a direct impact on their numbers. I'm in my first week and my morning numbers are good, but as ever, very variable: Metformin or Liver? Which gets the credit/blame?

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,106 posts

Thanks Dave. The dawn phenomenon is an old friend and it's also the time of day when I get the biggest variance in my numbers. The only solution I've found so far is have a small snack as soon as I wake up - it seems to switch my liver off.

What baffles me is that Metformin takes several weeks to build up in the body and become effective, yet users say the time of day they take it, especially in the evening, has a direct impact on their numbers. I'm in my first week and my morning numbers are good, but as ever, very variable: Metformin or Liver? Which gets the credit/blame?

It could be that you will see earlier results as you eat low carb. Many people here report better/faster results with metformin if it is taken with a reduced carb diet. I'm also find it odd that it can take so long to reach full effect but varying when I take my evening dose will have an impact on my morning numbers.

I too find the time I get out of bed will vary my morning numbers, for me the earlier I get up the better my numbers are, guess on those mornings I'm up and moving before my liver has had a chance to kick in.

Isn't diabetes wonderful in how consistently inconsistent it is.
Posted Image

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts

I too find the time I get out of bed will vary my morning numbers, for me the earlier I get up the better my numbers are, guess on those mornings I'm up and moving before my liver has had a chance to kick in.

Isn't diabetes wonderful in how consistently inconsistent it is.

Yes. If I get up before 6 am, I'll usually get 90-95 FBS. If I then eat a lump of cheese I can keep below 100 all morning (including having a very low carb b'fast at about 8 am).

Nothing is certain tho'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users