Photo

Stopped Metformin-No More Gastroparesis?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

brainhiccups

brainhiccups

• 500 plus
  • 135 posts
  • LocationN.W. GA. USA
  • I am a:Type 2
I gave it over 3 months: last 6 weeks was increasing nausea constantly, even throughout the night.

I finally said "ENOUGH! ...I had allowed enough time for my body's adjustment to Metformin", so I quit it and went back on my Glipizide.

Strange thing .....when I quit the Metformin, my Gastroparesis subsided! I haven't had a single episode since I quit the Metformin over 2 weeks ago....and my gastro began around the same time I started Metformin!

Hmmmm?/? Yeppers ...totally not 'normal' here! :T

....Kate

Diagnosed T2
12/08/2000

A1c:

12/12/2013: 5.9 

Centrum Multi Vitamin 1x
Co Q10 200 mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200 mg 2x
Vitamin D3 1000 IU 2x
Vitamin E 400 IU 1x

Low Carb Lifestyle

Heart Attack Survivor:

07/03/2009

03/29/2014

Diabetes is a disease that is progressive:
your mind needs to be also!

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Was it really delayed stomach emptying ... or just more generalized nastay indigestion? Will keep that one in mind if I ever develop it ... oh, I am TRULY TRULY fortunate that metformin agrees with me!!!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

sumi

sumi

• 500 plus
  • 1,307 posts
Would be nice if diabetes were a little less 'individual' sometimes.
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Would be nice if diabetes were a little less 'individual' sometimes.

YEAH -- like wouldn't it be nice to eat what the next person does, and be done with it?

Let alone the meds side effects ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• 500 plus
  • 481 posts

YEAH -- like wouldn't it be nice to eat what the next person does, and be done with it?

Let alone the meds side effects ...

What fun would that be?

Nothing says good times like struggling to manage your own medication over an extended period of time!

:shot:
DX: Dec 21 07 @ 12.4%

NPH 18u PM, 18u AM
Humalog (sometimes)
Crestor 10mg (hey, it works)
Met 1000mg twice daily

Vitamins n Supplements:
B100, D (4000iu daily) , E, CoQ10 (for the Crestor), Cranberry, Chromium (500mcg daily), omega 3 poisson caps (3g daily, spread out as I see fit), multivitamin

Latest A1c
6.9 (Apr 09)

Cholesterol
Total: 3.7 (144)
LDL: 2.2 (86)
HDL: 1.0 (39)
Trigs: 1.2(107)

Des

Des

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
just out of interest were you taking your metformin AFTER your meals? and how many were you taking?
Oct 26th '09- A1C=6.6 :)
July 30th '09- A1C=6.8:o
April 27th '09- A1C=6.8 :D
Jan 7th '09- A1C=10.7 :(
Dec 5th '08- A1C=12.3 :eek:

(Metaformin 2000mg (4 tabs)) :eek:
(Diamicron 120mg) :o
Walking a min of 10 brisk miles a week. :creep:

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

What fun would that be?

Nothing says good times like struggling to manage your own medication over an extended period of time!

:shot:

And it IS almost invariably managing your own, isn't it!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
I tried the maximum dose of Metformin for three months to see if it would help with weight loss. I had no side effects, nor any effects for that matter. It did nothing to help the weight loss and made absolutely no difference in my BG numbers or A1c.

I guess this drug works wonders for some people but no drug is worth feeling bad all the time. Sounds like you made a smart decision.

brainhiccups

brainhiccups

• 500 plus
  • 135 posts
  • LocationN.W. GA. USA

Was it really delayed stomach emptying ... or just more generalized nastay indigestion? Will keep that one in mind if I ever develop it ... oh, I am TRULY TRULY fortunate that metformin agrees with me!!!

Hi foxl;

I was diagnosed with gastro, but now I have doubts. At times, a meal might sit for over 18 hours! I am hoping the gastro is gone now, or at least a possible misdiagnosis!

...Kate

Diagnosed T2
12/08/2000

A1c:

Centrum Multi Vitamin 1x
Co Q10 200 mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200 mg 2x
Vitamin D3 1000 IU 2x
Vitamin E 400 IU 1x

Low Carb Lifestyle

Heart Attack Survivor:

07/03/2009

03/29/2014

brainhiccups

brainhiccups

• 500 plus
  • 135 posts
  • LocationN.W. GA. USA

just out of interest were you taking your metformin AFTER your meals? and how many were you taking?

Hi Des;

I would take my (1) Metformin at meal time. I started on 500mg tablets, 2x daily and then my gp switched me to Metformin ER 1000mg 2x daily.

I tried taking it before meals, during, and after with no change in it's effects.

....Kate

Diagnosed T2
12/08/2000

A1c:

Centrum Multi Vitamin 1x
Co Q10 200 mg 2x
Fish Oil 1200 mg 2x
Vitamin D3 1000 IU 2x
Vitamin E 400 IU 1x

Low Carb Lifestyle

Heart Attack Survivor:

07/03/2009

03/29/2014

gastro

gastro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same suspicion, that the Metformin I took for 6 months was the cause of extreme gastroparesis. My digestion was fine when I was newly diagnosed with diabetes in Dec. 2008 and put on Metformin. By April 1, 2009, by A1C was normal, but my digestion was a mess. By June 1, 2009, all food and even water sat in a lump at the top of my stomach. I stopped taking the Metformin because I was in such pain and could no longer eat. Tests in July 2009 showed pancreatic cancer metastasized to my liver -- stage 4 with only 3 months to live.

I'm still alive after a rough year of chemo and extreme stomach pain that narcotics couldn't ease. I changed to a new doctor who diagnosed gastroparesis June 9, 2010, and was prescribed Domperidone. Already it has worked like a miracle, reducing my stomach pain soI can now eat quite normally (with a little help from pancreatic enzymes too).

I don't go as far as associating Metformin with causing pancreatic cancer, but I'm quite convinced the Metformin caused the gastroparesis. Does anyone else know anything about this association?

confussedt2

confussedt2

• 500 plus
  • 196 posts
HI,I WAS READING posts about bad results from metformin maybe this is why i have spent quite a bit of time sitting
on a toilet,my gp and i are going to try met xr maybe the fact of getting a little at a time will work better for me.

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Has anyone tried Goat's Rue?
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,681 posts

HI,I WAS READING posts about bad results from metformin maybe this is why i have spent quite a bit of time sitting
on a toilet,my gp and i are going to try met xr maybe the fact of getting a little at a time will work better for me.

A lot of people do better on the xr (extended release) version of metformin. There are also a lot of us who can't handle the side effects of any type of metformin, namely the diarrhea. They say the side effects will diminish over time, but not in all cases.

I took it for 30 days and it got progressively worse. I finally decided that I'd had enough, so I quit taking it. It seems that all oral diabetes meds affect my stomach the same way, as I've tried every class of oral diabetes drugs. For me, insulin was the only way to go, and I'm glad I did. No more stomach upset, and much tighter BG control.:)

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts
I had the other end of the spectrum with Metformin. Things moving along at an amazing pace.:eek:
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts
I've had gastroparesis for over 2 yrs now but never took metformin. I did notice, though, that symlin caused a lot of the same kinds of problems regardless of how little I ate so I stopped taking it after 8 months.

Fawn

Nana215A

Nana215A

Advanced Member

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Immediately after being diagnosed, I was put on Metformin. After only 1-2 days of taking it, I was thrown into full-blown heartburn/gerd/acid reflux from ****. Even though the medication was stopped after only 5-6 days on it, it took a whole two weeks to be able to get my stomach calmed down enough to be able to eat ANYTHING again. Thought I was going to die. I was placed on glimeperide after I was back to normal again, stomach-wise, and have had no problem with this med at all. It's amazing how each of us reacts differently to the same med.
Nancy

lovermoon5

lovermoon5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been through the ringer with my current endocrinologist. She put me on metformin four years ago, and the gastrointestinal issues were horrible. After awhile she switched me to Glumetza, a newer form of Metformin, saying it had less of the gastro side-effects that metformin has. Yeah right! I had constant diarrhea and stomach upsets. For the past 3 years I've been on and off Glumetza....I would go off of it because I couldn't take the side effects, then I'd try it again because my endo said it was my best bet. Then she put my on the injection drug Byetta. OMG was that a horrible 2 months! I was SOOOO sick! Sure, I lost quite a bit of weight, but only because I was constantly nauseas and/or throwing up. I went off of it after a HORRIBLE stomach attack that I later realized was an attack of pancreatitis. After I went off the Byetta, for the next couple of months I was sick on and off and finally 2 months later I got so sick I had to go to the ER where they diagnosed me with pancreatitis. It took me months to recover. All that time I was on and off the Glumetza. After the hospital diagnosed me with pancreatitis, they found my gallbladder was diseased and removed that. From then on I was never the same. The next year I got very, very sick with gastroparesis. For 2 months I couldn't eat any solid food and lost 40 lbs. I felt like I was dying. During that episode I went off the Glumetza for awhile. After going off the Glumetza, my gastroparesis disappeared. I thought I was done with that. (and I should note that at that time no one put two and two together and suggested the Glumetza was causing the trouble). Well, it's 11 months after that terrible 2 months of illness from the gastroparesis, and now it's back. And worse than ever! I have been SO, SO sick. In the past 2 weeks I've been hospitalized 3 times and lost 25 lbs. I am very sick and very scared. I had gone back on the Glumetza 2 months ago because my endo kept pushing it. It didn't click until I was in the ER tonight. I was talking to a nurse who mentioned she had been on Glumetza and had developed gastroparesis. I was shocked and mad at myself for not making the connection. I went off the Glumetza 2 weeks ago when I first got sick again, and I am NEVER going on that drug again. And I feel like I want to sue the **** out of my endocronologist for putting me through absolute **** for the past 4 years! She's basically given up on me now anyway. I wrote her an e-mail telling her I was falling apart, and desperate to figure out what was wrong with me. She said several time in a return e-mail that she doesn't know what else to do for me, almost blaming me that I was intolerant to all the meds she's tried on me. I am now in the process of finding a new endo who I hope can save my life...because at this point, I feel like I'm dying. I'm pretty scared. (I should add that I also have an overactive adrenal gland which causes a lot of horrible symptoms, and I believe I might have Cushings disease, but my endo doesn't believe I have it because it's "RARE"....)

Anyway hope this info might help someone else out there with similar issues. Good luck to you all.

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Boy, you've been through the wringer! I hope you're on the mend now that you've gotten of the med wagon.

Let us know a little about your diabetes....can you control it with diet and exercise? I know your Endo wanted you on meds, but doctors push a lot of drugs and may not go to the heart of the matter: Carbs are the problem for diabetics and reducing or eliminating starchy carbs from our diets can go a long way toward gaining good control. If any meds are needed, you might consider insulin as your second line of attack.

By the way - open a new thread in the Introductions section so more people will see you and give you welcome!

Best,
Jen

sarah76

sarah76

• 500 plus
  • 377 posts
Hi lovermoon5,
Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.
I have been thinking about taking metformin and find this thread really helpful. Thank you everyone.
I want to try metformin because I eat the same few types of low carb food all the time and I am afraid that will lead to problems (too much of anything is not good). Many members here as well as my friends and cousins have good BG with metformin. My April 2012 AC1 was 5.4 and my doctor does not like to give me metformin saying my A1C is in good range and I don't need it, plus metformin might have side effects on kidney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users