2074 replies to this topic

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I think there may be some confusion on what everyone thinks a low carb menu may look like. I know I am confused. I think it might be helpful to me and hopefully others to see what a daily diet for a week might look like if you were "low carb" eating. Perhaps we could use this as a daily digest for some of the low carb people so we can get a better idea of what people are eating to get good blood sugar results.

I started this thread because I felt like I was hijacking someone else's questions about losing weight while taking insulin. I don't think insulin is a factor in this thread, just what a truly low carb diet looks like for a week.

I posted that I ate for lunch a hard boiled egg, about 3/4 cup of blueberries, 3/4 cup of greek yogurt with about five blackberries smashed in it and a spear of pineapple for lunch. I considered it healthy. Someone responded that my lunch would drive their blood sugar too high. I took 3 units of insulin and was 51 about three hours after lunch. However, I did a lot of housework after lunch.

I am a vegetarian that eats a little fish and I do eat eggs and cheese. I would like some ideas of how people are eating "low carb". Lots of ideas! We don't need to make it a vegetarian thread as many people on the forums do eat meat.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts
Now this is a good idea for a thread! a low carb diet digest!

i am heading over to the supermarket to get my lunch. green salad with paul newman caesar dressing, zero coke, cheese or salami, and some peanuts in their shells (maybe a small apple for afternoon snack)...

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

BlueSky

BlueSky

• Seniors
  • 2,609 posts
There are as many different perceptions of what "low carb" means as there people out there putting this notion into practice. But purists will tell you that it means eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrate a day. The Bernstein protocol, which involves eating 30 grams of carbo daily, falls into that category. And there are lots of variations on the theme.

I typically eat 75-90 grams of carbohydrate a day, which strictly speaking is not "low-carb". But it is healthy and produces the outcomes I am looking for. My normal breakfast would be considered "low-carb". It consists of 3 eggs, a handful of grated cheese, and 2-3 mushrooms chopped up. I mix the whole lot up, add some herbs, and cook it in the microwave.

In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
now using a pump

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• Members
  • 481 posts
Good idea for a thread.

What are some free-foods that someone low carbing could go fill up on, or use to supplement their diet?

Probably some people know that a LoBAG20 diet for type 2's is the way to go. It's a more regimented low carb diet. Very effective.

My suggestion is for type 2's to eat cottage cheese - it gets a better insulin response from your pancreas, majorly helps your postprandials. Beef too.
DX: Dec 21 07 @ 12.4%

NPH 18u PM, 18u AM
Humalog (sometimes)
Crestor 10mg (hey, it works)
Met 1000mg twice daily

Vitamins n Supplements:
B100, D (4000iu daily) , E, CoQ10 (for the Crestor), Cranberry, Chromium (500mcg daily), omega 3 poisson caps (3g daily, spread out as I see fit), multivitamin

Latest A1c
6.9 (Apr 09)

Cholesterol
Total: 3.7 (144)
LDL: 2.2 (86)
HDL: 1.0 (39)
Trigs: 1.2(107)

sumi

sumi

• Seniors
  • 1,307 posts
Hi Nancy,
Good idea! My menu varies with my bg levels which have been high for the last 10 days. I always find my worst number in the morning. I prefer to wait a while before breakfast and even with a walk it keeps getting higher. If its under 6.4 I will have a poached egg on low carb toast, If higher, 2 scrambled eggs with 1 tbs salsa. Occasionally I'll have a couple of slices of apple with it, but usually settle for a multi-vitamin. Lunch is most often a large salad with 1/2 tomato and an egg and cheese or other protein and a mayo type dressing. Supper would typically be a porkchop, chicken, fish, or steak etc. and 2-3 cups of broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce. Throughout the day,I will also eat about 2 oz of nuts mixed with various fibers (wheat bran .psyllium, oat bran etc.)and usually 1/2 cup of blueberries with soy cream. Also up to 2 oz. of meat or cheese depending on hunger. I would love to add some fruit, and if and when I go on insulin, that would be my first adjustment. I'm quite surprised that so far my carb cravings are gone, though I know they could be back in a mouthful. This past weekend, I made rhubarb pies for my adult children whom I am visiting, and I sure would have enjoyed a taste....okay, a very large taste.
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

soso

soso

• Seniors
  • 1,599 posts
I think this is a great idea for a thread..

today
bf small apple silced couple spoons cream cheese quick pour of whipping cream..

lunch ham with lettuce couple strawbs slces pepper green onion and mayo 30g bar Lindt 70% Choccy

dinner chicken and broccoli

not always as pure as this though....
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts
i bought a Fuji apple at lunch - but i never ate it. for afternoon snack i had another handful of peanuts in their shells. this time i ate the shell also. i like them...

heading home for dins shortly. not my night in the kitchen so - i do not know what is "on" yet!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

i bought a Fuji apple at lunch - but i never ate it. for afternoon snack i had another handful of peanuts in their shells. this time i ate the shell also. i like them...

heading home for dins shortly. not my night in the kitchen so - i do not know what is "on" yet!

I like to hear what people get up to in life, but maybe just focusing more on what you do eat, not what you don't eat and what you don't know you're going to eat? I'm not picking on you, but I too, would like to see focused information here. :)

Something that's not clear here is if a "low carb" diet is somewhat unknown and a bit vague, who should be posting? I mean, I have many low to no carb meals and snacks I eat and most days I eat far less carbs than mainstream guidelines. But I still eat usually above 120g a day, in my current diet. how does one "qualify" to be a low carber for the intents of this thread? Do they need to be sticking below 100g? 60g? 30g?

Guess that's a question directed entirely to Nancy, as she's the author of such a great thread idea. It's hopefully intended to clear up more confusion, not create more.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
I eat low carb.

If I eat breakfast (sometimes I only have coffee)
2 eggs, usually in an omelette w/cheese and spinach.

Lunch: either a spinach salad w/avocado, walnuts or pumpkin seeds and mozarella or other type cheese. Dressing is either blue cheese (fat ok, 3 carbs) or the Walden's no calorie, fat or carb Balsamic.

Another favorite lunch is low carb tortillas (2) each has 12 carbs and 8 grams fiber, with hummus, avocado and cucumber.

Night meal has about 4-5 servings of broccoli, green beans or asparagus or okra, plus fish (not breaded) or chicken, or whatever meat my husband wants.

Snacks = a spoon of peanut butter or strawberries or celery or cucumbers or nuts

For treating lows: cherry essence prunes or apple or cantelope or glucose tablets followed up w/a bit of peanut butter.

I get stuck w/ my favorite foods and don't vary it up a lot.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts

I like to hear what people get up to in life, but maybe just focusing more on what you do eat, not what you don't eat and what you don't know you're going to eat? I'm not picking on you, but I too, would like to see focused information here. :)

Something that's not clear here is if a "low carb" diet is somewhat unknown and a bit vague, who should be posting? I mean, I have many low to no carb meals and snacks I eat and most days I eat far less carbs than mainstream guidelines. But I still eat usually above 120g a day, in my current diet. how does one "qualify" to be a low carber for the intents of this thread? Do they need to be sticking below 100g? 60g? 30g?

Guess that's a question directed entirely to Nancy, as she's the author of such a great thread idea. It's hopefully intended to clear up more confusion, not create more.

maybe i misunderstood the intention of this thread. i thought it was like a blog that could be titled "a week or so in the lives of those of us who try to eater lower carb". so i was treating it like a blog.

perhaps i am wrong.

let me know and i will go away...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

maybe i misunderstood the intention of this thread. i thought it was like a blog that could be titled "a week or so in the lives of those of us who try to eater lower carb". so i was treating it like a blog.

perhaps i am wrong.

let me know and i will go away...

Don't go away Joel!!! I think Nancy wants some meal ideas from those of us who eat low-carb. The one week thing, I'm taking as wanting several days of meals. (I don't vary my meals up too much . . . different cheeses, nuts, etc.)
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts

Don't go away Joel!!! I think Nancy wants some meal ideas from those of us who eat low-carb. The one week thing, I'm taking as wanting several days of meals. (I don't vary my meals up too much . . . different cheeses, nuts, etc.)

cool. maybe i will start a new thread where people can drop in bloggy-style entries of what low-carby they are eating on a casual basis...

maybe i won't...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
As Jan says... well, one snack at a time sure is going to be lots of posts and hard to read through, especially if there's lots of "bloggy" elements of what you don't eat etc. But nevermind, it was just my thoughts, and I'm hardly stopping you, just requesting more to the point information, take it or leave it. I'm hoping for MORE information from you, not less. I don't understand your comment about going away!
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
I basically eat the same foods day in and day out. My idea of a low carb diet is consuming less than 100g a day. Here's a sample of the foods I usually eat and the carb count I use to bolus for:

Breakfast:

Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Yogurt (3g);
(2) slices toasted light wheat bread (17g) with spray butter;
Scrambled eggs or an omelet with cheese;
Small apple or small pear (15g)
Cheerios Crunch with Hoods Calorie Countdown 2% Milk (25g)

Lunch:

Turkey breast and cheese on light wheat bread (25g)
Garden salad with craisins & walnuts & Italian dressing (20g)

Dinner:

Usually chicken...grilled....with whole green beans & a baked sweet potatoe (yam) (35g)
Pork chops, steak, or any other lean meat, again with whole green beans and a baked potatoe (35g)
Scrod (cod) drizzled with a little olive oil, a tablespoon of bread crumbs and baked in the oven, with whole green beans, and maybe a side salad (35g)
Pasta with meatballs/sausage, home made sauce (60g)
Grilled Pizza, using low carb round tortillas, olive oil, garlic, sundried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese. (3 of them I count as 20g). I cook these over low heat on the a gas grill or in a cast iron pan on top of my stove.

Snacks:

Small apple or pear (15g)
Handful of walnuts or almonds (10g)
Carrot sticks (10g)
Dannon Yogurt (3g.....same as breakfast)
Sugar-free chocolate pudding snack cup (8g)

Karen

sdf1492

sdf1492

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Breakfast – 2 eggs and 1 ½ slices of bacon in an omelet with about ½ cup salsa.

Morning snack – Coffee with 1 tablespoon heavy cream

Lunch – Salad with about 6 oz. chicken and one serving (about 200 calories) dressing

Afternoon snack – ¼ cup almonds or 3 oz. tuna

Dinner – Burger (without the bun of course), tomatoes, onions, mayonnaise, or stir fry with beef or chicken

Late snack – Natural peanut butter or flax bread

On weight training days (3 times per week) pre and post whey protein shakes

Not much variety from day to day. Macro’s work out to be about 60% fat, 30% protein and less than 10% carbohydrates (all from vegetables, nothing manufactured or man made)

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts
breakfast: 1/4 cup raw pecans, 1/4 cup raw almonds, 1 small apple, 20 oz black coffee.

lunch: all-u-can-eat salad bar - mostly carbs but ZERO refined carbs. EVOO and vinegar. Side order of restraint. Water+water.

dinner: I'll cook - Morningstar Crumbles (vegetarian ground beef substitute) with Dreamfields elbows (al-dente) and marinara from Mimo's (a local Italian restaurant) + parm. Water. 10 oz. Merlot, 2 oz. dark chocolate.

No idea how many carbs. It's not low-carb, but it's good carb. That's how I roll.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks for the start everyone. This is exactly what I hoped to see. Ideas of what people are eating that eat daily low carb. I am finding VERY helpful. If it is blog style, that is fine. If you want to just post your daily meals, that is fine too. I don't mind reading throught the thread to extract the information.

So post away. Daily digest is great, blog it great too.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I would really like to see this thread keep going. I need ideas as my diet is pretty stagnant.

Today's breakfast. Blood sugar was 77 before breakfast and I will check it in two hours. I had

FAGE Greek yogurt about 1/2 cup with six blackberries smashed in and about 20 blueberries. Pomegrante seeds on top.

2 eggs with a little cheese

1 slice of sprouted flourless whole wheat berry bread with butter waved over the top. :T

Posted Image

The FAGE yogurt has 7 grams of carbs per cup and 23 grams of fat per cup. I had a 1/2 cup. I might think about buying the low fat and trying it.

Berries and pomegranate.....I have no clue. I figured about 5 grams.

Wheat berry bread was urrrggg. 15 carbs.

So I guess about 27 to 30 carbs. If I had deleted the bread, I would have been hungry in an hour. I have some yard work to do and I think I would have gone low.

Does this appear to be low carb ?
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
Breakfast: whey shake (whey powder in soy milk with benefiber and ice cubes).

Lunch: a salad, typically cabbage or spinach, cauliflower, or broccoli;
baked tofu, or cottage cheese, or a fake meat dish; today I had 84 g lentil salad (and tested for 2 hr response -- 111!)
an ounce of nuts/seeds, perhaps an ounce of cheese.

Dinner: another salad and or veg, fake meat or cheese, nuts or seeds ... greek yogurt (whole milk, 1/2 c) and small portion (1/4 c) of berries for dessert

Bedtime snack (after workout): another whey shake, or peanut butter on fruit or nuts or cheese.

and yes, that would be a LOT of fruit carbs for ME, Nancy. (I mean in your first post!). and I woulda skipped the bread (again, for ME) in order to bank carbs for later ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
When I checked online, blueberries had 14g of carbs per cup. I had about 1/3of a cup. So about 5 carbs. The pomagranate is neglibable. Blackberries were 9 carbs per cup and I had six. So maybe a carb or two. Total we are probably talking 7 carbs of berries total.

I am going to starve. The bread was an indulgence, but what would you do with the breakfast I had instead?

Slow learner. lol
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users