Is Type 1 considered a disability?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

zelack

zelack

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
Regarding this post, which specifies type 2 but not type 1--is type 1 considered a disability now in the same effects?

http://www.diabetesf...bility-law.html

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,760 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Yes it is....however, with disabilities comes consequences and people should not abuse it or you could lose certain items. For example, it's been ruled a disqualifying disability by the FAA (for commercial airlines) and armed forces for years. Would one want driving a car next?

I've had type one for 26 years and have never considered it a disability and never in my life would allow it to become one.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,189 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There was a thread on this subject awhile back. You can read it here...

http://www.diabetesf...bility-law.html
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
the way I understood that law, is that it is considered a disability as far as specail accomadations may have to be made at work for people with Type 1, to allow testing/injecting for example. or treatment for lows.

so may not be a disability in the total sence of the word except for severe complications.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
When my hypos were out of control and I was considering giving up my drivers license I thought of it as a disability.
Since I've got that under control I think of it as a pain in my rear. Kind of like my kid sister. Nah I like her better.
Sorry I don't know the law and HOPE I never need to.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

Lizzie G

Lizzie G

• 500 plus
  • 1,071 posts
Im with Yannah in that it's considered a disability in order that an individual is protected by the disability discrimination act (in the uk) and whatever the equivalent is in the us. its an interesting question; whilst it can undoubtedly become a disability when complications set it, personally i have days where i just dont feel well (eg if pump is playing up), or for some reason things arent working too well. nothing is said, but i think my employers make these little allowances for me, understand that if i have had a rough week im pretty tired and so on, nothing major, just minor accomodations and understanding. i think thats what the law is getting at; making minor accomodations and avoiding discriminatory behaviour by employers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lizzie
Type 1
Mum to Samuel, born 09 Sept 2011 and James, born 10 Feb 2014
Latest HbA1C: 5.8%

Gary_W

Gary_W

• 500 plus
  • 1,335 posts
Whilst it is technically considered a disability, I'm very careful indeed to never play that card.

IMO it is there to stop discrimination. But the moment you start to appear less capable than anyone else that could do the job then you will be discriminated against, laws or not. And there are some jobs where the discrimination is right for the greater good.

Before you throw things, consider this.

I have good warning signs of hypos, and I blood test often. Even with this, I will still occasionally go low at a time when it is incovenient to me (I'm due in a meeting etc). In my job, it means (at worst) a 5 minute delay whilst I sort my head out. It's a pain in the rear end but it's not a deal breaker and I'm good enough at what I do to outweigh the 5 min delay in the wrong place that happens on very rare occasions. It has never lost me business and I'm confident enough to ensure it has no real impact on what I do.

If I was an air traffic controller, my 5 min inconvenience could be far worse. It's why there are certain jobs that you get discriminated against with full support of the law. I don't like it but I can see the reasoning.

Gary
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,186 posts
Gary's right - although technically diabetes should be considered a disability in order to prevent people firing staff for having the condition, you've also gotta really careful to make sure it doesn't prevent you doing your job.

I've had this discussion with the Disability Rights Commission in the UK - the exact wording for defining a disability is something along the lines of a physical or mental condition which if untreated would impair your ability to work. I spoke to an advisor on the phone about this because I was applying for a job that would advance you in the interview pool if you had a disability. I wasn't sure whether I did (because diabetes doesn't stop me doing anything), but she pointed out that if I wasn't treating my diabetes, I'd be dead. And that might impair my ability to work.

Mindstorm

Mindstorm

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
I think Type 1 definitely has to be considered a disability so that we're protected under the law, but it is true that this also exempts us from certain positions where a number of other disabilities will prevent you from being able to do the job. I haven't seen anywhere that this is unreasonable, though, as it's generally situations where you might be without support for a number of days at a time, or in a combat situation, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users