Photo

What is the BEST book for carbs and food values?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

fatfreddiescat

fatfreddiescat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
There are a lot of books out there, but does anyone have an opinion as to which is the most comprehensive as well as the most correct in the numbers they give you? From book to book, you can find large variances in grams for a serving of potato, baked, for example. Some books have said 35, 40, and 42, and one book said 75??
Thanks for any help!
FFC

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
A lot of people like the Calorie King book and website -- which calculates by portion, too! Apparently has some nice software for keeping a log, too.

I am at the point of not worrying much, you learn from repetition, and if you eat low on the carb scale, there is less error to worry about!

Sometimes the difference is whether or not fiber grams are subtracted out ...

But, watcha doin eatin baked patata? Those things spike me something dreadful! (abortive smiley attempt).
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

fatfreddiescat

fatfreddiescat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

A lot of people like the Calorie King book and website -- which calculates by portion, too! Apparently has some nice software for keeping a log, too.

I am at the point of not worrying much, you learn from repetition, and if you eat low on the carb scale, there is less error to worry about!

Sometimes the difference is whether or not fiber grams are subtracted out ...

But, watcha doin eatin baked patata? Those things spike me something dreadful! (abortive smiley attempt).

I don't spike to bad with 'em, but I do know that they are usually at the high end of the guesstimate that some books give. A large baked is REALLY about 70 gr of Carb! At least thats what I bolus for one, and usually no, or only a minor correction is needed.

TommyC1

TommyC1

• Seniors
  • 1,189 posts
I use calorie king online but I have no idea how accurate it is.
I use that to guesstimate and see if my meter agrees.
I really just posted because I love your handle.

Haven't heard from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers in a long long time.:cool:

"Just wait until he puts on his headphones!"

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

fatfreddiescat

fatfreddiescat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Tommy

Or his BOOTS! But mostly, his headphones. A lot of folks just don't know. But WE do! lol!

fatfreddiescat

fatfreddiescat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Tommy

BTW....how DOES the online Cal King agree with your meter? I hate spending $$ more than once. My time is loose enough to look it up, but I don't know how good the book is either. I suppose a lot of the values are the same as online??!

slwood321

slwood321

• Members
  • 225 posts
I've used calorie king and livestrong.com(follow the links to The Daily Plate). Most numbers are similar, but some are totally wacky and for those, I use guess at an approximate value. I prefer the online stuff as it is updated more often and they are free. As so many things, such as the ripeness, size, type and age of fruits and veggies affect the carb count you are never going to get perfect numbers. Hope this helps.

TommyC1

TommyC1

• Seniors
  • 1,189 posts

I've used calorie king and livestrong.com(follow the links to The Daily Plate). Most numbers are similar, but some are totally wacky and for those, I use guess at an approximate value. I prefer the online stuff as it is updated more often and they are free. As so many things, such as the ripeness, size, type and age of fruits and veggies affect the carb count you are never going to get perfect numbers. Hope this helps.

Yeah for me carb counting is anything but exact. Even if I get my quantity/weight right there still seems to be a lot of variation in the effect on my BS from meal to meal. That is eating the same amount of the same food.
I figure calorie king will get me in the ball park, experience will get me closer and a correction will get me home if I need it.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users