- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

whitesparrow

whitesparrow

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I have been coughing now for 5 days, don't know why, what is the best cough suppressants for people with diabetes and high blood pressure.

Thank you!

Sandi T

Sandi T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Whitsparrow,

I have caught something that has been making me cough, as well. I finally used Ricola cough drops and it seems to have helped supress the cough. They are all natural so shouldn't hurt you. I hope you feel better soon.

whitesparrow

whitesparrow

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Whitsparrow,

I have caught something that has been making me cough, as well. I finally used Ricola cough drops and it seems to have helped supress the cough. They are all natural so shouldn't hurt you. I hope you feel better soon.

But does it raise your BG any

AVFD-FF

AVFD-FF

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I use Scot - Tussin DM.

Maximum Strength Cough Suppressant abd Cold Relief.

It is designed for diabetics so it is sugar free. We buy it a CVS, but I am sure other places care it.

The UPC is 3 03720 03604 6

Manufactured by Scot - Tussin Pharmaceutical

Let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks, Moe

Posted Image

T-2 since Dec 2004 - Testing with a One Touch Ultra Smart

Taking Glyburide 5 Mg X 2 / Metformin 1000 Mg X 2

Update: Started :nurse: using Levemir 10 units up to 17 units, now pushed up to 22 units once a day. 5/12/2009

A1C was 10.9 3/5/2009 / BGL was 470 3/5/2009

A1C was 6.6 DOWN from 10.9 and BGL was 127 on 6/17/2009

A1C was 6.2 10/8/2009!

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,594 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
There is a prescription drug called "Tessalon Perles" that works very well for coughs. I have a hard time with BP when I take a cough syrup. Doc gave me these and they were great. I didn't notice any side effects with them at all.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
If the source of your cough is a cold or allergy with nasal drainage, sometimes treating the nasal symptoms will help relieve the cough. Of course, many of those meds will also cause blood pressure to rise. I like to use the sugar free (isomalt) Cold-Eeze lozenges and as far as I know there is nothing in them that will cause an increase in blood pressure. However, please check the label and ask a pharmacist. Cold_Eeze seems to slow nasal mucous production, thus relieveing the cough. Also it soothes the throat.

If the source of your cough is any kind of bacterial infection, getting that treated with anti-biotics is probably the best way to go.

If the source of the cough is irritants such as dust or chemical fumes, you should, of course get away from them. Then simply constantly sipping water might help, as can using any sugar free hard candy to sooth the irritation if it is in your esophagus. Sometimes even if the source of the cough is irritation further down, such as in the bronchus, the throat can become so irritated just from that coughing that you begin to cough even more from throat irritation. Water and candies can slow that coughing too.

If you are coughing due to asthma or pneumonia, geeze, get those treated!

All this is just based on my own experience, of course.

1Lollygagger

1Lollygagger

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I have been coughing now for 5 days, don't know why, what is the best cough suppressants for people with diabetes and high blood pressure.

Thank you!

Good advice has been given. I would just add a bit more. You should NOT suppress a productive cough; that is, a cough that produces sputum that you can either swallow or spit out into a tissue. If you have an infection, coughing is the body's way of self-clearing the mucous produced. If you cough up stuff that's not clear or white, it's highly likely that you have a bacterial infection and need to see a medical professional for an antibiotic. Also, try drinking plenty of water if it's not a dry cough.

As was mentioned, nasal allergies can often produce a dry, irritating cough that lasts for days. If you're having sneezing or a runny nose, and if and only if your cough is NOT productive of sputum, you might want to consider trying an over-the-counter antihistamine drug like Zyrtec. It could stop the drainage that might be the trigger for your cough. But again, only consider an antihistamine if you're sure that you don't have an infection. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users