Photo

Ladies - how do you wear a dress with your pump????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

maedchen0324

maedchen0324

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and haven't had a chance to introduce myself on the introductory thread or read a lot of posts here. I am looking for advice from other females using an insulin pump regarding how and wear to wear your pump when you wear a dress? I am going to a conference for work in a couple of months and one of the functions I have to attend requires me to wear "cocktail attire". I typically avoid wearing dresses whenever possible, because I have not found a good way for me to wear my Minimed 722 and still be able to easily access it to bolus, etc. I do have a remote for my pump, but have never used it, so I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go... I would very much like to wear a "little black dress" do this event. Do you ladies have any suggestions / advice / ideas for me????

Thank you!
Nicole

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Honestly, it depends on your build. I have worn dresses and worn my pump in my bra. I am not a "big" girl on top, so hiding a pump was a little of a challenge. I wore my pump on the side, under my arm. I have a little soft pouch I put the pump in to avoid plastic poking me and it worked pretty well. If you were to really look, you might see it a bit, but since it was under my arm, it was barely visible. A couple people have used the thigh strap for dresses. I have not tried that, but I am sure it would work pretty well.

The other option is to just have a small button hole in your dress and let it show. Heck, it is only a pancreas! :D
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

keeranx

keeranx

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
this is all too familiar a situation to me..i wear a lot of traditional style dresses so i just shove my pump between the side of my underwear and my leg lol and needless to say it has fallen many times......the bra trick or the thigh strap trick that nancy mentioned seemed like they could work! i should find a thigh strap myself lol

lorilei

lorilei

• 500 plus
  • 3,151 posts
this thread needs to have pictures....it would be like a d peep show, we could charge a fee...oops! j/k

lori;)

Novolog ~ mm522..
Working on Tour de Cure Princeton 2012~ June ;)
ACCOMPLISHED
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

One life you've got to do what you should....

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

this thread needs to have pictures....it would be like a d peep show, we could charge a fee...oops! j/k

Lori lori lori.......you really don't want pictures do you? Now think about this for a minute. ;)
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
I tried the thigh strap for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was wearing a long dress, so I put it down on the back of my calf. I couldn't find a spot where it wouldn't stick out on my thigh. I guess if you were super skinny, you could wear it on your inner thigh...I am not. I hope you find a good solution. If you do, please share :).
Good luck!
Rachel
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I'm not supposed to be laughing and laughing, am I? :T

Well, what is a cocktail dress nowadays? I really don't know. Are they skimpy or form hugging? Used to be cocktail dresses might be quite loose and have multiple guazy or silky layers with frou-frou stuff like sequins, rabbit fur, floaty fake ostrich feathers, rhinestones, lace, super-femme jackets. Depending on the style, you might be able to rob a bank and hide the loot under all that. Is there much variation in styles available?

lorilei

lorilei

• 500 plus
  • 3,151 posts
well being that I have a tail and all..i am curious as to where I would pit the thing..dress or no...the shells are too tight to slip the bugger in there...

lori;)

Novolog ~ mm522..
Working on Tour de Cure Princeton 2012~ June ;)
ACCOMPLISHED
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

One life you've got to do what you should....

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm not supposed to be laughing and laughing, am I? :T

Well, what is a cocktail dress nowadays? I really don't know. Are they skimpy or form hugging? Used to be cocktail dresses might be quite loose and have multiple guazy or silky layers with frou-frou stuff like sequins, rabbit fur, floaty fake ostrich feathers, rhinestones, lace, super-femme jackets. Depending on the style, you might be able to rob a bank and hide the loot under all that. Is there much variation in styles available?

Awwwwww se, you gotta get out more! Little black dress or cocktail dress can mean many things. Usually, it is small and thin straps and many times a bra can't be worn with one. I can't remember the last time I pulled out those old ostrich feathers. Those could come in handy!

Today the dresses are pretty skimpy, but if you are clever, you can press your pump into places that are.....ummm soft. Thus, under my armpit. I suppose if you were better endowed than me, you could place your pump in between. I am not that endowed and I would look like I have a third one that was square.

Still want pictures, Lori??? I bet not. :D

I vote for let her show and forget it. ;)
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ferzan.lermiogl

ferzan.lermiogl

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and haven't had a chance to introduce myself on the introductory thread or read a lot of posts here. I am looking for advice from other females using an insulin pump regarding how and wear to wear your pump when you wear a dress? I am going to a conference for work in a couple of months and one of the functions I have to attend requires me to wear "cocktail attire". I typically avoid wearing dresses whenever possible, because I have not found a good way for me to wear my Minimed 722 and still be able to easily access it to bolus, etc. I do have a remote for my pump, but have never used it, so I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go... I would very much like to wear a "little black dress" do this event. Do you ladies have any suggestions / advice / ideas for me????

Thank you!
Nicole

These adresses may be helpful.
Thigh thing for the insulin pump,thigh holder for the pump
Insulin Pumpers UK: Wearing a pump

Diabetes blog about Kerri Morrone Sparling.

akielpinski

akielpinski

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
I have a slip that has a pocket sown into it. When I need to wear a dress or skirt, I usually wear my pump in the slip. It's not visible at all through the dress/skirt.

Another thing I do if I'm not wearing a formal dress is wear leggings with my dress/skirt. I hook the pump to the leggings (in the back) with the pump facing me.

I've never tried this, but my CDE wears hers with biker shorts. She folds up the leg of the shorts and hooks the pump to the shorts.
Amanda :thrasher:
T1 since March 2000
Pumping since 2001, Currently on the Animas Ping
DexCom since 4/16/2010

livin_life

livin_life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i recently had to wear a dress for a formal dance and i found putting it in your bra the easiest. it just relle depends on the dress style and ur build....

shabbie

shabbie

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
hehe this thread has made me giggle :D

the best way i have found was to use a home made version of the 'thigh-thing'.
i used a thigh sized tubular bandage and doubled it over to form a 'pocket' to keep my pump in. i wear it on the outside of my thigh and it doesnt get in the way or get noticed at all.
Sharon :)

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,036 posts
In the past, the "twins" have served well for this purpose (and no, I am not well endowed:) ). I never thought of wearing bike shorts, I'll have to try that. Then again, I'm not the type to hide my pump. I have been known with a two piece outfit to wear it clipped in to the skirt at the small of my back.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts

In the past, the "twins" have served well for this purpose (and no, I am not well endowed:) ). I never thought of wearing bike shorts, I'll have to try that. Then again, I'm not the type to hide my pump. I have been known with a two piece outfit to wear it clipped in to the skirt at the small of my back.

Yes between the girls works sometimes or the small of the back. I dont hide mine much either. I have been wearing alot of arm sites , so it is really visible with sleeveless shirts and tank tops, it is already hot and humid here in Texas. I have been asked about it a few times,so I just talk about it.
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

SCC

SCC

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
I recently wore "the little black dress" and used a thigh wrap from one of the insulin pump bag folks (there are quite a few on the web, I've ordered from several). The thigh wrap was easy to use for bolus (I went into the bathroom, though...the thoughts of how it might look reaching up under the dress and trying to be discreet were NOT working for me!!).

Another thread in here talked about a bunch of ladies taking little baby sock and pinning them too. The thigh wrap - no one knows!
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

Pammie

Pammie

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Doesn't that give you a funny walk? eer dance?:D
It isn't how well you weather the storm - it's how well you dance in the rain

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts
Hey Girls,
What a good giggle this thread has been :)

I usually wear my pump clipped to my bra (this works well for me as I have a fairly large bust), but also had a good suggestion from a friend - try clipping your pump to a good old fashioned "garter" on your thigh - I personally haven't tried this yet but it's on my list!

Hey, if Angelina Jolie can wear a knife/gun holster on her thigh (Mr & Mrs Smith) and look sexy, we sure as heck can wear our pumps on our lacy garters and look sexy too! :laugh:

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

alexalisbeth

alexalisbeth

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
I would say probably half of my cocktail dresses have pockets (I LOVE short, strapless taffeta) and it would definitely be worth it to me to cut a hole in the pocket for the pump tube. that would be completely discreet. And you could get to it no problem at any point in the night because its literally right there in your hand. If you want proof that a dress can have pockets and be glam, I have pictures.
Allie
Lantus & Humalog
Dx 2/24/09, A1C 13.2%
4/22/09, A1C 7.1%

Dexcom 7+ user!

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts

I would say probably half of my cocktail dresses have pockets (I LOVE short, strapless taffeta) and it would definitely be worth it to me to cut a hole in the pocket for the pump tube. that would be completely discreet. And you could get to it no problem at any point in the night because its literally right there in your hand. If you want proof that a dress can have pockets and be glam, I have pictures.

I would be looking for them with pockets too, or have a discreet one made.
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users