- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jennifer5232

jennifer5232

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I LOVE chinese food and have not ate any since I was dx'd last week, does anyone here have a problem with there BG after eating Chinese food? I love the eggrolls, fried rice, beef and broccoli and all kinds of chinese food actually :) I have heard it's not that bad for you as a diabetic but I don't really know the truth to that...any stories would help!
Type 2, diagnosed 6/2009
A1C
June 09--9%
Sept 09-- 5% :D
Jan 10 --5.5% :D

1000mg Metformin daily

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Those eggrolls and fried rice are loaded with starchy carbs (and fat). And many of the sauces used in Chinese restaurants include cornstarch as a thickening agent, rendering innocent veggies like broccoli more carb-laden than your system might like. That said, just as with Mexican food you can find items that are tasty and satisfying; You just need to be selective, test to see what works for you, and really be aware of portion control.

Perhaps you should pick up a book or two about low glycemic index carbohydrates. Also, get the Calorie King guide (available in most book stores and on the web) and use it to determine the carb content of the foods you eat. It will be an eye opener for sure!

As you are newly diagnosed, I would recommend that you spend a few weeks eating at home where you can control your portions and macronutrients. Get used to carb counting and portion control. Once you've done this, and tested to see what foods work for you, restaurant eating will be much easier. This is probably not what you want to hear, but it might make the whole thing more managable. Knowledge is power!

Jen

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• Seniors
  • 6,686 posts
Find a restaurant where you can ask that yoru food be prepared without sugar. cornstarch, etc. They exist. I avoid rice, eggrolls, etc., and stick to protein and veggies (bok choy, green beans, bell peppers, etc.).
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

mzteacher

mzteacher

Youthful Senior Member

• Seniors
  • 2,341 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
hi,
i do pretty good with chinese food....sorry not rice or egg rolls...but i will get broccoli beef, chicken with veggies, egg foo young w/o sauce and sauted veggies....soy souce is no carb : )
panda express lets you get a meal w/o rice or chow mein...i just get broc beef and green bean chicken....they have their carb counts on the web site....that will give you and idea of carb counts in general though all will be different...for me i had to change what i order but it can work!
good luck!
susan

Mothernature

Mothernature

• Members
  • 227 posts

As you are newly diagnosed, I would recommend that you spend a few weeks eating at home where you can control your portions and macronutrients. Get used to carb counting and portion control.

Great advice. Eating out so much can make Diabetes a nightmare.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I find it difficult to tolerate a lot of Chinese food, as the rice and many of the sauces will cause a huge spike in blood sugar....and I really don't enjoy it w/o the rice. I've probably had it 3-4 times in the last 3 years, and we used to have it a couple of times a month before my diagnosis. It's just not worth the spike for me.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

orpy

orpy

• Members
  • 310 posts
Shrimp and veggies...skip the rice (doesn't matter if it's white or brown). I treat myself to a spring roll (similar to an egg roll) but really they have too many carbs (I use insulin). This is a rare occurrence...treat time.
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
The only way you're going to know how Chinese food affects your blood sugar, is to try it yourself.

As a type 1 pumper, I need a TON of insulin to cover Chinese food & Pizza, so I don't eat it very often.

Karen

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,220 posts
I avoid rice, but find that a small portion of egg noodles work.

I tend to steer clear of sauces such as "Sweet Chilli, Sweet and Sour, and BBQ".

Salt and chilli ribs work for me, as does Kung Po, Black Bean Sauce.

Personally I don't eat out or much Chinese food as I often find what I make at home myself is nicer (not at all proud am I ;)).

When first DX'ed, I had no take-out nor did I eat out for at least 3 months as I wanted to get control first - this was a purely personal decision.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
I'm orginally from NYC so my native food is chinese.
I still eat it at least once a week.

For me:
Rice, Egg Rolls, Wonton Soup, Anything Sweet and Sour, Orange anything are no , no's.

Brown sauce, Hot and Sour Soup, Egg Drop Soup, Egg Foo Yong are all ok.

God I miss combination plates.

Art

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
amazing how different American Chinese food is from REAL Chinese food. If you order from a Chinese menu, often there are dishes prepared without gloppy cornstarch sauces, and stir-fried with little oil.

Still gotta work around the rice, though.

It also helps to have friends who can order in Mandarin! ;)
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
Hong Kong Street Food.

AWESOME

Art

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

Hong Kong Street Food.

AWESOME

Art

Yeah, well ... HK is a whole OTHER cuisine! :D Awesome though, indeed!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

Wolf

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
By all means, skip any rice noodles. I can't think of anything more carb-heavy. Before diagnosis I used to consume mass quantities of rice noodles....my poor pancreas!

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

By all means, skip any rice noodles. I can't think of anything more carb-heavy. Before diagnosis I used to consume mass quantities of rice noodles....my poor pancreas!

Wolf ... me too. And us with these carnivore names ... ;)
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

dme100

dme100

• Members
  • 111 posts
I'm not the biggest fan, but my wife is so we have it once in a while. I am careful of the starchy sauces, I scrape off the fried coatings, stick with the more plain meat, stemed veggies, and save my few disopsable carbs for one of their very good dinner rolls. I stay away from the heavy thick sauces, egg rolls and batter dipper fried stuff.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users