- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jennifer5232

jennifer5232

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Some of you may know about this already but I am a new diabetic so having new recipes and cookbooks really help me out! Saw this ad on the TV for 3 free diabetic cookbooks, meal planning guide and diabetic magazine, I did it today and its absolutely free!
Type 2, diagnosed 6/2009
A1C
June 09--9%
Sept 09-- 5% :D
Jan 10 --5.5% :D

1000mg Metformin daily

RobertIA

RobertIA

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts
If they were free, then you must have purchased something.

Plus if the cookbooks have the word diabetic in them - they are not what they seem. And they don't work well in the bathroom as the paper is too glossy.

These cookbooks are not written by people with diabetes for people with diabetes. Too high carb for T2 and to high on the Glycemic Index as well.

I will not buy any cookbook with the word Diabetic in the title. Not worth reading and many still stick to the exchange system which we all know is out of date now.

Bob
DX 10/03, T2, Lantus & Novalog
Natural beauty is always the best, in nature and in women
Web site: http://bobsdiabetes.blogspot.com/
Web site: http://diabetestopics.blogspot.com/

livelong

livelong

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I agree. These cook books are usually written by Dietitians who know little about glycemic index and many other factors like what kind and how much med you are taking for Diabetes.

However if someone has little information on Diabetic eating or is eating lots of carbs this might be a good starting point. You just have to do a lot of testing to see what carbs make you BS elevate more than others.

I went to Diabetic classes and it was most likely what they teach in the books. The Dieticians say 60 g carbs per meal. They did not talk about spikes and glycemic index. I started following the guidelines and found out quickly there are certain carbs I have to stay away from or have very very little of.
Ben

05/2008 A1C=6.6 BMI=27.6 Cholesterol=210 HDL=54 LDL=140
06/2008 A1C=6.1 BMI=27.1
11/2008 A1C=5.9 BMI=25.0
06/2009 A1C=6.0 BMI=23.5
07/2009 A1C=5.7 BMI=22.3
10/2009 A1C=5.5 BMI-22.0 Cholesterol=173 HDL=54 LDL=107
NO MEDICATIONS

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,240 posts
Every cookbook can be a diabetes-friendly one. You don't need to search for special ones. Learn to modify recipes to be lower-carb. For me that means substituting stuff like Jerusalem artichokes for potatoes in "potato" salad, and avoiding starchy carbs like rice and pasta. I substitute some Splenda for sugar, use agave nectar sometimes and would use Stevia if I weren't allergic to it.

Have some fun with the books already on your shelf....you really don't need to support an industry that exploits the fears of people with a chronic condition. You can eat regular foods...just learn which ones work best in your diet. Cook, taste, and test, test test. It will get easier!

Jen

RobertIA

RobertIA

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts
I will say that the new editions of Betty Crocker's and Better Homes and Gardens do have nutritional information with each recipe and like jenb said, you can substitute to bring the GI down. I like substitutions when they are available and can add to the taste.

Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook (not Diabetic) is also good in that it has some excellent tips for people with diabetes to get them started, but watch the recipes as some are very much high carb. Not in the basic recipe always, but putting it over noodles and rice is a no no.

I will no longer purchase any cookbook without the nutritional information. Yes, I may be limited, but at least I know that my serving size will be smaller, often 1/2 of normal serving or even less. So if the recipe is for four servings, I may only get to eat as if it is 6 to 12 servings, and on some of my favorites, I cut the ingredients in half so at to not have so much on hand. My wife is also not wanting a lot of repeat meals. Yes, when possible I will freeze leftovers for another week also.

Bob

Jae

Jae

• 500 plus
  • 193 posts
Has anyone tried the "Taste of Home Light & Tasty" Annual Recipes 2007?

I love this cook book and it lists Nutrition facts for each recipe and diabetic exchanges. Even though I have never learned or used the exchanges but I watch the fat and carbs close.

Every recipe I have tried from this book has been wonderful. The draw back for me if there is more then 4 servings I try to avoid the recipe I only want to eat not be married to it.

:D

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,240 posts
You can run the ingredients in any recipe through a package like Calorie King and get detailed nutritional info. Really a handy tool!

Jen

RobertIA

RobertIA

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts

You can run the ingredients in any recipe through a package like Calorie King and get detailed nutritional info. Really a handy tool!

Jen

Well Jen, I admit to being lazy. I also grew up with those cookbooks and when I discovered the nutritional information, I realized how easy it could be to keep my favorites.

Yes Jae, I have seen the book. It is good, and many of the recipes are similar to many I already have. I would recommend it as well for those people needing it.

Bob

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• 500 plus
  • 2,097 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I started to use this and it seems to have worked very well with me...I can make a lot of different wraps and even use it like a tortilla for tacos.

Joseph's Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Lavash Bread
Omega 3
7g total carb
-3g dietary fiber for a total of 4g ecc

I make breakfast tacos
Egg, onion, bacon and cheeze

Tuna wrap
Fajita wrap
Grill Chicken wrap
Turkey wrap
Sausage wrap
and Taco wraps (boiled hamburger meat with spices add avacado and anything else)

Hope this also works for some of y'all. Oh and I can only find this at Wal-Mart...not at my reg gro store. Under 3 bucks.

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I would hope that any newly diagnosed would search the web for "low carb recipes", such as Dana Carpendar's "Hold The Toast", or "Livin La Vida LoCarb" and a host of others. The main problem is, newly diagnosed don't know they should be looking for low carb recipes....they just know "diabetic" recipes. When I was dx (2003), I was given the standard info re whole grains, oatmeal, fruits and allowed more carbs for one meal than I now eat in a day....sad but true and what a wonderment that they find wonderful forums such as this one, so they can get the right information.

Sorry for the rant....it is irksome:)

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6
VLC - No Meds

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I agree, it is irksome! I don't own either a "diabetic" or a "low-carb" cookbook. It's a challenge for me to try and take recipes from my usual cookbooks and make them blood sugar friendly. It works for most things.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

lunchladytype2

lunchladytype2

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I own a Diabetic cookbook that I got from my Mother a few years ago. I tried making some of the things in the cookbook but I didn't have good numbers the next day. I didn't care for most of the food I saw in the book. I am a little confused at what makes a diabetes cookbook good and why they are not helping. Why do they make them if they aren't helping?

Thank you

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,848 posts
When I was first dx'd 4 years ago, I knew nothing about diabetes. I was determined to manage this disease. I went to Borders and bought lots of Diabetes cookbooks, thinking that was the answer. I was surprised when going through the recipes they used regular flour, sugar and high carb ingredients. Most of the recipes were at least 30 carbs . I wasted my money. I now know to search for free online sources. There are tons of forums online that give you great recipes for 3 carbs or under. As diabetics we need to find the lowest carb recipes that taste good and keep our fastings under 100. Lots of diabetics have started their own blogs with video taped recipes and those are great sources of recipes. I know I am diabetic but I also like to eat. I normally eat at least 2000 calories a day and about 30-50 carbs a day. Doing that I am now at my lowest weight ever (113) with fasting 81-100 most days. What makes a diabetic recipe is fresh natural ingredients that is fairly low carb that will keep your bgs from spiking. If the recipe spikes you it is not a diabetic recipe. Now some people that use insulin may have much more leeway with the carbs in recipes than those on oral meds or just diet.

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
I am so grateful I found this forum, in the early days after Dx.
I wnet out & bought diabetes for dummies at the local bookstore, after I got the Dx. Looking athe recipei section, now, I cringe, as I see so many things I know would spike me.
I teeek recipes we used before, just sub carby things out.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

PanMan

PanMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would hope that any newly diagnosed would search the web for "low carb recipes", such as Dana Carpendar's "Hold The Toast", or "Livin La Vida LoCarb" and a host of others. The main problem is, newly diagnosed don't know they should be looking for low carb recipes....they just know "diabetic" recipes. When I was dx (2003), I was given the standard info re whole grains, oatmeal, fruits and allowed more carbs for one meal than I now eat in a day....sad but true and what a wonderment that they find wonderful forums such as this one, so they can get the right information.

Sorry for the rant....it is irksome

e

From one of the newly diagnosed Pre-diabetic, could you let us know what we should be looking for in recipes? I can use all the help i can get in getting up to speed in as short as possible. I will beat or at the very least manage this. It will not beat me if i have anything to say about it.

PanMan

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
PanMan, you've got a great attitude! Welcome to the forum and take a look at our recipe section.

Go to the websites I mentioned, and/or google low carb recipes, that will give you an idea of what to do. As I mentioned, I believe low carb (google low carb and find out carb counts)is the way to go, but it isn't for everyone. If you have a meter, you should try different foods (rice, potatoes, pasta, corn, carrots, peas, beans) test before and after (1 & 2 hrs) after eating a portion if your numbers go over 140, eliminate that food. Personally, I can't eat any of the aforementioned foods, but I have many delightful meals based on poultry, beef, pork or fish and vegetables with salad and homemade salad dressings. Basically, anything that comes in a box, is prepackaged and has ingredients you can't pronounce would be better left in the market.

Visit Jenny Ruhl's website "Blood Sugar 101" to get some insight. Good luck:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users