- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

WendiSpeciale

WendiSpeciale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So, i have been having some really unaccounted for spikes in my blood sugar over the past several days. I could not, for the life of me, figure it out.

I even took a bottle of insulin back to the pharmacy because I figured it MUST be bad given the spikes i was having.

Well, last night, I checked my blood and it was 377...which was odd because the only thing I had was my Arizona Diet Green Tea. I went downstairs, pulled the bottle to re-read the nutritional facts.

Sugar >1
Carbs >1

You can imagine my confusion.
That is, until I got to the fine read print at the bottom on the label (ahem, NOT in the nutritional facts) and it said something to the effect of NOT FOR USE IN DIABETICS WITHOUT THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN. PRODUCT CONTAINS HONEY.

Um, yea.
So, my question is, if there is enough honey in the product to warrant this disclaimer, how come sugar is listed >1?

Anyone else have this issue?

Crazy! I think they should put this "little" piece of info in the nutritional info, as I usually don't read the fine print on the backs of bottles...that is such important info, you would think they would put the disclaimer where they KNOW a diabetic would read it!

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
If the label shows less than 1g of carbs there is probably very, very little honey in it. Just enough so they can claim it's flavored with honey to make it sound more appealing? I can't see how the diet tea is spiking your BG. Not sure about the warning they put on the bottle about diabetics, though. Maybe a CYA thing?

I've never had BG spikes from any diet drinks that contain aspartame or sucralose (Equal/Splenda). I've had some diet teas that do contain minimal carbs from fruit juice, just a garm or two, and I don't even think about those.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

cwathne

cwathne

• 500 plus
  • 175 posts
ive had entire large cans of Diet Arizona Green Tea with zero effect on my blood sugar levels
Type 1 since 3/2000
Humalog + HumulinN
Last A1C's: 5.8, 6.0, 5.9, 5.8, 5.6, 5.4 (6/8/10) ;)

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Does it also have artificial sweeteners? Some of them spike me as high as sugar. I think Green Tea is decaf, right? If not, it could be the caffeine doing it too.

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
did the label say ">1" or "<1".

there is a relatively important difference....

:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,462 posts
I drink almost nothing except the Arizona Diet Green Tea. The amount of honey in it is just enough so my vegan friends won't drink it :) All diet drinks that have even a trace of carbs put that stupid warning on the label. Your spikes are almost certainly due to something else.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
I'm pretty sure green tea has caffeine, maybe just not as much as some others, but I've never seen any that had been decaffeinated.

WendiSpeciale

WendiSpeciale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oddly enough, I quit drinking the tea and my sugars returned to normal.

So odd!

However, i wonder if ginseng had anything to do with it? No clue. However, all i do know is when I drank it I spiked and when I quit it returned to normal.

Freaky, indeed!

cwathne

cwathne

• 500 plus
  • 175 posts
strange

I almost want to ask you to try it again
Type 1 since 3/2000
Humalog + HumulinN
Last A1C's: 5.8, 6.0, 5.9, 5.8, 5.6, 5.4 (6/8/10) ;)

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• 500 plus
  • 762 posts
How odd! I used to drink a TON of that stuff and my sugar was fine. It's only when I OD on diet soda that my sugars go truly out of whack....
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

WendiSpeciale

WendiSpeciale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Now that is REALLY strange, amanda...because I drink diet soda with NO issues.

Again, Freaky!

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
I drink diet Arizona Green tea all the itme with no issues. The label says <1g/serving. So for a whole bottle it's max 2 gm carb- an insubstantial amount. The "not for use by diabetics" bit is a cya step.

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• 500 plus
  • 762 posts
Wendi: A few sodas, even a few a day, doesn't bother me -- but all I drink are ones with caffeine, so I wind up dehydrated, and then my sugars go bad.
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

Calvin85

Calvin85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Wendi: A few sodas, even a few a day, doesn't bother me -- but all I drink are ones with caffeine, so I wind up dehydrated, and then my sugars go bad.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurking, first time posting :)

My BG spikes like 80 more than normal for each can of coke zero I drink. I KNOW that all those sugar substitutes (except sugar alcohols) shouldn't affect BG at all because it's ignored by the body.

I'm thinking if my meter is mistaking those splenda as sugar? After all, they have very similar chemical strucuture.
I am using LifeScan OneTouch InDuo.

DaveFL53

DaveFL53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
New to the forum and enjoyed reading this thread although some very old. I am having glucose problems after drinking the Diet Tea also. Levels jump about 40-50 points. Info above very informative

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts
my advice would be to stop drinking the tea.
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

Lisa Jackson

Lisa Jackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been drinking diet Crystal Light Pink Lemonade for years!! and have never had any spikes! along with diet pepsi now and then.I have however had the exact same thing happen to me with the exact same brand that had honey! strange! but I do think the 1% sugar on the label should be changed!

chitownlynn

chitownlynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I saw BGL spikes also! I rarely drank it...maybe once a month...so I felt very confident that the spikes were due to the Arizona Diet Green Tea. I just stopped drinking it, instead of figuring out if/how to bolus.

itsreallyjustme

itsreallyjustme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
There has been significant evidence that Green Tea lowers blood sugar in diabetics. [url=http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2210/4/18]BioMed Central | Full text | Effect of green tea on blood glucose levels and serum proteomic patterns in diabetic (db/db) mice and on glucose metabolism in healthy humans[/url]

It's more likely the caffeine than the tea. Perhaps you should try the decaffeinated variety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users