- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

small2big1

small2big1

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, I guess I should know, I was diagnosed 3 years ago, and started lifting seriously and went from 150lbs to 205ish. However, its been hard to gain lately, I was wondering If diabetes can make it hard to gain? Or what I can do to help!

miscreant

miscreant

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Well, I guess I should know, I was diagnosed 3 years ago, and started lifting seriously and went from 150lbs to 205ish. However, its been hard to gain lately, I was wondering If diabetes can make it hard to gain? Or what I can do to help!

What is your workout like? How often? What do you eat? What supplements do you take?

Give details!
Animas Ping Insulin Pump user.

212lbs, 7.0% BF, 6' tall
Exercise twice a day, 45 min to 1.5 hours each - mostly anaerobic.
Eat ~4000 calories per day

A1C April 2009 = 7.0
A1C June 2009 = 13.8 (glipiside stopped working and struggled with other drugs)
Started Insulin Therapy July 2009
A1C Oct 2009 = 6.5
A1C Jan 2009 = 6.4
A1C Nov 2009 = 6.4
Started Pump Therapy April 2010
A1C Oct 2010 = 6.2
A1C Mar 2011 = 6.1

http://bodyspace.bod...m/themiscreant/

small2big1

small2big1

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alot of Protein, alot of food in general since im trying to gain. I take whey protein, creatine mono, daily vitamin, and amino acid's.

I always did some form of a 3 day a week workout, either fullbody 3x a week or body part split. chest/tris legs/shoulders back/bis.

I was under the influence, more insulin=more mass

BlackBerryPro

BlackBerryPro

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes Diabetic people can get very muscular.. I am on the same supplement regimen you are on and I look huge bro... My BS are excellent..So to answer yes, but you have to really work at it.. I do 4 times a week Cardio spinning and 2 times a week 1 hour and a half of weight lifting a week..Hope that helps.. I just do Protein, Creatine, Amino Acid, and Glutamine...
:D "Never Settle for being the best, settle for the Best of the Best!!":D :D

Ronin

Ronin

• 500 plus
  • 1,609 posts
Hi small2big1!

As a bicyclist, and all bicyclists have a thing about their weight being too high, I don't get the bodybuilder thing about adding more-and-more weight.

That being said allow me a bit of perspective on the results of any exercise regemen.

Presuming that you are a post-puberty adult adding 55 pounds of muscle tissue over a three year period of time is impressive. That takes a lot of male hormones. To get beyond you will either take lots of time or supplament your hormonal levels.

I understand the desire to do better by whatever measurement that your sport recognizes. Just realize that you are probably in the top 1% of fitness for men in your age group. However, unless you are a professional body builder, that desire for more must be moderated with some reality.

I'm very good on my bicyle and Linda and I are good on our tandem. However, I'm no Lance Armstrong and Linda isn't Laura Van Gilder. However, for people in our age group we are very fit -- probably in the top 10%.

My advice, take the time option and take credit for what you have done and don't obsess over what you are yet to accomplish.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 3510 (21 Sep)

Fasting C-peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

01-May-2014 -- 5.5%
01-Jun-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Jul-2014 -- 5.6%
01-Aug-2014 -- 5.2%
01-Sep-2014 -- 5.5%

small2big1

small2big1

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi small2big1!

As a bicyclist, and all bicyclists have a thing about their weight being too high, I don't get the bodybuilder thing about adding more-and-more weight.

That being said allow me a bit of perspective on the results of any exercise regemen.

Presuming that you are a post-puberty adult adding 55 pounds of muscle tissue over a three year period of time is impressive. That takes a lot of male hormones. To get beyond you will either take lots of time or supplament your hormonal levels.

I understand the desire to do better by whatever measurement that your sport recognizes. Just realize that you are probably in the top 1% of fitness for men in your age group. However, unless you are a professional body builder, that desire for more must be moderated with some reality.

I'm very good on my bicyle and Linda and I are good on our tandem. However, I'm no Lance Armstrong and Linda isn't Laura Van Gilder. However, for people in our age group we are very fit -- probably in the top 10%.

My advice, take the time option and take credit for what you have done and don't obsess over what you are yet to accomplish.

Thanks! That is true, I guess it has became somewhat of an "addiction". I just loved getting more muscluar. I recently started experimenting with PH's but not sure I want to keep it up. I guess I just want to know how diabetes and bodybuilding go hand in hand.

Ps, I as well race bmx bikes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users