- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

leosmom

leosmom

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have my first colonoscopy coming up in about a month. I received some literature regarding the 24 hour prep (clear liquid diet). My question is how in the world do I keep my BG under control that day with no food (except jello, which will have to be SF) allowed? Any suggestions? The doctor's office doesn't have any specific info (big surprise).

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Make sure you are first up on the day of the colonoscopy. If you let them know you are diabetic, they should be good about scheduling you early to avoid sugar complications.
As for the prep day, test often and have some non-red juice handy to keep your levels up if you need it. Good luck & get good pictures...:D
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

ADSOFT

ADSOFT

Banned

• Banned
  • 504 posts
My mom is 77 and we had to take her in for a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.

Call the test center that is doing the colonoscopy and tell them you are diabetic, they will be able to inform you.

Make sure you take a list of all your medicines and you might want to fax them a list prior to getting their. Let them know of any other conditions you might have. You are supposed to have an interview with the doctor doing the colonoscopy prior to setting up an appoint, let him/her know any conditions you have, surgeries, and what meds you are taking and your concerns.

Also make sure they give you a pillow or your family requests one while you are comming out of the sedation. My mom had the worst neck strain for 4 days because she was just lying there with no pillow for about 3 -4 hrs after the test while she came out of sedation :mad:

From what I remember she just fasted for 12hrs and took her prep.

You should be ok if you contact the center that is doing the test. :D

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• 500 plus
  • 762 posts
Try lowering your insulin by about 10% to make sure you run just a little high. I'm going in for an endoscopy on Monday, so I've been wondering some of the same things. What if I have a low? What can I do that won't interfere with their ability to get that tube down from my throat into my intestines?? So I finally decided to just run my sugar a little high to avoid all that ****.
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1

I have my first colonoscopy coming up in about a month. I received some literature regarding the 24 hour prep (clear liquid diet). My question is how in the world do I keep my BG under control that day with no food (except jello, which will have to be SF) allowed? Any suggestions? The doctor's office doesn't have any specific info (big surprise).

I just did that lovely prep a few weeks ago. I am type one and on insulin and was concerned about the challenge. It turned out to be almost a non issue. Here are some of the great tips that I recieved that really worked.

First, make sure you start POUNDING liquid two to three days before your colonoscopy. You want to make sure your cells are nice and plumped up with liquid. This will especially help you if you tend to be the constipated type. Also, you will not dehydrate while you are losing a ton of liquid. This was the best advice I got before my colonoscopy. Also make the prep eight hours ahead of time and refrigerate it so it is icy cold.

You can have any clear liquid, but nothing with red dye in it. Orange jello, chicken or veggie broth and I particularly liked Powerade Zero. Also, get ginger ale. If you are using Moviprep (that is the one I got) ginger ale is the best chaser to get rid of the taste.

The second best advice I got was to go to McDonalds and get their large fat straws. To get the movieprep down, you put the straw in the back of your mouth and drink as much as you possibly can, then chase it quickly with diet ginger ale. It was so much more palatable that way. Almost easy.

For lows, you can have any clear hard candy (life savers), sugar soda or even chicken broth or vegetable broth.

The most difficult part for me was wondering if I was (sorry folks) cleaned out enough. The instructions said that you should start "going" within an hour to two hours after the first bottle of the prep. Five hours later, I was don't having that luck. After I chugged the second bottle, it kicked in VERY fast. Make sure not to be any farther than 30 feet from a bathroom. You discover if you are .....eh hem... water tight.

After about two hours of running, the onslaught was over and then the waiting for the next day began. The only problem I ran into was I went low at 6 am. I was to have no food or drink 8 hours before the colonoscopy. Panic set in. I pulled off my pump (my blood sugar was 57) and luckily, my blood sugar started going up.

After that???? Go to sleep and forget about it. It was simple and easy. I slept and everyone else worked.

I did have cramps for a couple of days afterward, but other than that, it was back to normal eating. Please note that I did not "go" for almost a week after the test!!! :eek:

Ok. Sorry for the graphic details, but you asked!!!! :D
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mraymond

mraymond

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I had a colonoscopy last year and when it came time to drink the prep, I told my son it was in the refrigerator and would he bring me the first part of it. He did and I thought it tasted kind of strange -- really sweet. I drank most of it down and then realized he hadn't brought me the prep, but instead brought me some cherry syrup I had made my husband to put on icecream. So, I stayed up and exercized to get my bg down since that drove it way up.

In any event, I went fairly early in the day and had no problems with highs or lows.

If you take metformin, you need to ask your doctor about stopping it before the procedure for a day or two and resuming it a day or so later because I recall that it may have negative interactions with the dyes they use. I think it can cause kidney problems.

Good luck!

mary

TomB

TomB

• 500 plus
  • 393 posts
I went through the colonoscopy thing about 2 months ago. In all probability, you'll get a call to see the doc's nurse a few days before the procedure. That's when you get the kick-a-poo joy juice stuff. That's also when you'll get instructions on when to take or not take your meds. Take along your meter to the colonoscopy, you'll find that you might go a bit hypo. Some orange juice and stopping off at McDonald's on the way home will fix that.
A couple of tips: get a few rolls of the softest TP you can find and stack them near the thunder mug. Oh, and reserve that room for your use only so you won't be dancing at the door waiting to get in. And lastly, try not to have any pains when the doc talks to you before the procedure. I did, had a very little twinge of angina. That canceled the colonoscopy and I got sent upstairs for a barium enema. Believe me, having had both, the colon thing is much better.
Tally Ho,
Tom

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1

I went through the colonoscopy thing about 2 months ago. In all probability, you'll get a call to see the doc's nurse a few days before the procedure. That's when you get the kick-a-poo joy juice stuff. That's also when you'll get instructions on when to take or not take your meds. Take along your meter to the colonoscopy, you'll find that you might go a bit hypo. Some orange juice and stopping off at McDonald's on the way home will fix that.
A couple of tips: get a few rolls of the softest TP you can find and stack them near the thunder mug. Oh, and reserve that room for your use only so you won't be dancing at the door waiting to get in. And lastly, try not to have any pains when the doc talks to you before the procedure. I did, had a very little twinge of angina. That canceled the colonoscopy and I got sent upstairs for a barium enema. Believe me, having had both, the colon thing is much better.
Tally Ho,
Tom

NOOOOOO don't use TP. I read online to go by baby wipes or other types of soft wipes. Smartest thing I EVER did in the test.

Man this is wayyyyyy too much information. :D
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dme100

dme100

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
I had no issues with the not eating except I was hungry! The prep liquid and the results were well..not fun. The procedure was nothing at all, that was what had scared me the most.

After the procedure, when I was waking from my semi dreamlike stupor, they asked if I was hungry, and I was! The head nurse said "He's diabetic, get him a blueberry muffin and some orange juice".
Go figure..I settled for a few saltines and some diet Ginger ale.

TomB

TomB

• 500 plus
  • 393 posts
Actually, the nurse did the right thing. After a medical procedure, espicially in a hospital, it is safer for the patient to be slightly hyperglycemic, like 120 to 180 or so. After the body has been abused, going hypo can be very dangerous, very bad things can happen very quickly, like going into shock. A diabetic, with residual meds or excess insulin, can go hypo much more easily than a normal person, ah I mean, a non-diabetic.

knorris

knorris

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I told them I was diabetic and they moved my date to a day when I could be first. I took the pills, lots at a time but much better than the yuck juice! I ate the SF jello and broth too but numbers stayed fine. Im not on insulin or any meds.
Karen

antique-dave

antique-dave

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Had mine in May, not as bad as what I had feared, the chicken broth, jello, and sugar free popsickles carried me through okay. The witches brew that you drink sent me running for about an hour and a half and it was over. I was first on the table in the AM and afterwards was up and out of there fairly quickly with no other problems. I think the fact that I take fiber daily helped in that I was pretty much cleaned out by the time I took the brew.

They told me that I would not remember anything and that I would be forgetful through the day, not remembering if I ate etc. but it didn't happen, The doc explained everything when I woke up and told me I would not remember but when he came into the recovery room later to talk to us I told my wife what he had said earlier, he was quite surprised. I also heard him talking during the procedure and can remember all that he said but I didn't share the nugget with him.

Connie in KC

Connie in KC

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There is a lotion called Balneol that you put on the toilet paper. When you use the Balneol, you won't get nearly as sore. It is danged expensive, but I would pay twice the price~

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
I think mine was about 5 years ago, pre Dx. I was allowed to eat breakfast & lunch the day before, it was only a 12 hour fast, so I just had extra chicken broth for supper ;) The worst part is the running to the toilet after taking the stuff. I really don't think it mattered what I ate at lunch, as everything was flushed out intensely. I was able to watch the procedure on the screen. I wish you well & a good result.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,892 posts

NOOOOOO don't use TP. I read online to go by baby wipes or other types of soft wipes. Smartest thing I EVER did in the test.

Man this is wayyyyyy too much information. :D

I second that one, those wet wipe toilet tissues are a lifesaver....

amiguita

amiguita

• 500 plus
  • 390 posts
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I wasn't on insulin when I had mine done in February 2012 ... I can't add much except be prepared to be close to that hopper and AMEN to the baby wipes. I am fortunate to have a bidet, but man, OH MAN! I did the Suprep Bowel Prep Kit, and when it kicked it, I barely made it to my bed before I had to turn around and go back. It was **** :(

My bg levels were good and I ate the jello, had chicken broth and drank copious amounts of water and ginger ale. They will schedule you first thing in the morning since you are a diabetic. I had the good fortune to be scheduled at 5:30 a.m.

Happy cleansing! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
diagnosed in 2/2010, Type 2 then 1.5
HbA1c
05/26/12 6.9 :mad: !!
03/13/12 6.6 :eek:
02/03/12 6.3 :mad:
11/01/11 5.8 :smile:
07/12/11 5.6 :dancing:
02/03/2011 5.8
10/2010 - 7.2 :(
6/10/2010 - 5.8 :)
5/04/10 - 6.5
3/24/2010 - 7.4
2/2010 - 8.5

FBG
05/26/12 190 :eek:
11/01/2011 - 177
07/12/2011 - 110
02/03/2011 - 104 :star:
10/2010 - 235
6/10/2010 - 145
3/24/2010 - 130
2/2010 - 250

Levemir: start 6/12/12. Levemir/Humalog basal/bolus regimen. 2000 mg Metformin ER daily

JuanitaFrapp

JuanitaFrapp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, my cousin is 28 years he has a serious diabetic problem and gets rid of constipation problem. Now he is going for colonoscopy within a week can you please suggest him what he needs to consume before going to colonoscopy. I have asked many of my friends but no one aware of diet I hope he can get some good suggestions from you.

Diana_CT

Diana_CT

• 500 plus
  • 1,056 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
The should doctor write a prescription and directions for what your cousin should take and when before the exam.

The doctor had me take Golightly Laxative (whoever named that has a sick sense of humor) twelve hours before the exam and he also told me what I could drink (clear liquids) before the exam. When the laxative didn't work I called the doctor at 3AM to ask him what else I could take.

The doctor also had me be the first exam in the morning (7:30AM) so that my BG would not drop too much. The nurse took my BG a couple of times before the exam to monitor my BG.
Meds free of diabetes medication since June 2012
Current A1C 5.3 (10/15/13)

Life is not over because you have diabetes. Make the most of what you have, be grateful.
Dale Evans

Peggy_TX

Peggy_TX

Senior Moments

• 500 plus
  • 2,747 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
My mom just went through this last month.
I agree with Diana that the doc should have provided guidance. You might want to double check and make sure that the doc's office didn't send a sheet with that information that got misplaced?

For my mom, I think it went:
7 days before, stop taking all iron supplements (including multivitamins)
4 days out, stop eating anything with seeds (including tomatoes and cucumbers!)
2 days out, stop eating raw fruit and veggie
1 day before the procedure, clear liquid diet (mom ate chicken broth, black coffee and jello. you just can't have anything with RED dye, so make sure it's green or yello jello)
and then the prep mixture/instructions as you got closer
and then "no food or drink" 4 hours before the procedure

(I'd also HIGHLY recommend that he have plenty of SOFT bathroom tissue on hand, possibly even the "wet wipes" !!)

Type 2 /Dx: 12-01-10
A1C= 10.2 on 12-01-10
5.6 on 04-10-11
6.1 on 10-06-11
5.8 on 04-28-12
6.2 on 10-29-12
5.7 on 04-26-13
5.7 on 11-05-13

6.0 on 05-20-14

Metformin ER 1000 2x/day
Lisinopril HCTZ 10/12.5mg
Diet: ModCarb (60-80g/day)
Control occasional spikes with insulin (Humalog Kwikpen)

Aggie

Aggie

• 500 plus
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Pre-Diabetic
I had my first colonoscopy in July on a Monday. My doctor said I didn't have to change my diet at all before Sunday. Sunday was the clear liquids. I mostly had broth (chicken broth which we infused with ginger, and beef broth) and hot tea. The warm liquids help you feel fuller. I also had Jello, not red, both sugar free and with sugar. I had apple juice available (this was mostly in case I needed more calories or felt shaky with the fasting) and had little of that. You can have sugar-free popsicles.

I was really afraid fasting wouldn't work for me because I never skip meals, but the broth really helped. For the prep I did Suprep, butat my request we changed the timing so that I took one dose in the afternoon and one in the early evening (normally one would have been the morning of the procedure, but I didn't think I could handle it at that hour, and I am glad I didn't have to). Straws didn't work for me so I just held my nose and chugged it down. It didn't taste awful, but it did have a strong 'grape drink' flavor which got old after a while. I had my laptop in the bathroom and a movie to watch after each prep drink. All in all I think that worked well, because pretty much I was stuck sitting on the toilet a few hours each time. I was glad I did this procedure for peace of mind, and the procedure itself was easy, and I didn't have any cramping or problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users