- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Murph3

Murph3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
This question may sound weird, but are there better injection sites than others? I mean, will the insulin get absorbed better in a really fatty site or should you go for a leaner site?

If you need your numbers to come down quickly, will injecting in your arm be a better alternative than in your (fatty) stomach?
Murph
Apidra 15-20 units/meal

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
Hi Murph. :) I change my injection site often. I start getting a little sore if I don't. I tend to take my Lantus syringe injections in my stomach and the shorter pen injections in the fatty part of my arms. I never noticed a difference in how fast either of them act.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

lorilei

lorilei

• Seniors
  • 3,151 posts
lol...my first reaction is to say..the best injection site is the guy next to me...but honestly...i follow advice i first learned if I need to drop in a hurry...larger muscle areas (regardless of subQ action) and do some stretching flexing..so thigh/arms. but i am always happy to be shown a new way.

lori ;)

Novolog ~ mm523..
ACCOMPLISHED

Still riding...
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012, June 2013
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

YOLO~ so live....

lorilei

lorilei

• Seniors
  • 3,151 posts

lol...my first reaction is to say..the best injection site is the guy next to me...but honestly...i follow advice i first learned if I need to drop in a hurry...larger muscle areas (regardless of subQ action) and do some stretching flexing..so thigh/arms. but i am always happy to be shown a new way.

wait...you did mean for rapid right?

lori ;)

Novolog ~ mm523..
ACCOMPLISHED

Still riding...
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012, June 2013
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

YOLO~ so live....

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• Seniors
  • 1,564 posts
Hi Murph,

Good injection sites include: adbomen (all of it), upper legs, thighs, hips, upper butt and upper arms.

Happy jabbing :)

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

Murph3

Murph3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
My abdomen is quite large and that is where I have been doing most of the injecting (both bolus and basal). However, a few days ago I injected into my upper arm (not much fat) and my numbers seemd to come down lower. So that got me thinking. Does the amount of fat that you are shooting into make a difference in how the insulin is absorbed.

Just wondering.........
Murph
Apidra 15-20 units/meal

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
Yes the amount of fat can make a difference and so can the amount of muscle activity in that region... for example inject in your leg or arm and then go for a walk/run or down the gym and you'll likely get faster absorption than in the abdomen. Long muscles in the legs in particular help to circulate the blood.

When I was on MDI I used my abdomen for the fast-acting bolus (easy to just slip up my shirt even at a food court table) and my thigh for the night-time long-acting basal. I'd rotate around those sites but used the same general areas for as much consistency as is possible with this inconsistent disease we have ;)

Murph3

Murph3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks Frank.

That makes a lot of sense. I am going to try that.
Murph
Apidra 15-20 units/meal

sparrow1

sparrow1

• Members
  • 327 posts
Every time I inject in my thigh or arm I get huge bruising in those areas. Any suggestions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dx'd Type 2, 1989
Meds: Metformin 2500, Lantus 24, NovoRapid 1:4, Victoza 1.2, Lipitor, Inhibace, Remeron, Celexa
Mulitvitamin, Omega 3, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin C , Vitamin D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users