princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
How To Become A Joslin Medalist

There is a link below containing information about the Joslin Medalist Program. They want proof that you have been a diabetic for at least 50 years. When I saw that form a few years ago I thought I could not join because my parents were deceased, my doctor from my diagnosis year was deceased and the hospital where I was admitted keeps records for only the past 10 years. I had no proof I had diabetes for at least 50 years. Then I found that I could have my sister and cousin write letters telling about their memories of what happened in those early years after I was diagnosed . They sent their letters to me and I sent them along with my application form to the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, MA. They were accepted as proof and I received the medal.

If you want the medal, you have had diabetes for at least 50 years, and you have proof then it is easy to apply. If you do not have proof then you can have people who knew you during the year you were diagnosed or the next few years after the diagnosis write letters for you. Two or three letters are requested if there is no other proof you can give them.
Here is the link containing the application form. You have to use a printer and run off a copy of the application form. You can also call Joslin and tell them you are applying and ask questions.

http://www.joslin.or....t_program.html

The person you can contact for additional information is given below:

Sarah.Turek@joslin.harvard.edu

Internal Extension: 4345

Edited by princesslinda, 18 July 2011 - 11:42 AM.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
The link in the original post is outdated. Here is the current link for applying for the medal. Click on the appropriate topic in the left hand column.

Medalist Program | Joslin Diabetes Center
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

SCC

SCC

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
Thanks to you both. In January, I will hit 46 years. I think I will ask my mom to write a letter now. I used to have a diary in my 11-year old handwriting, not sure if I still do.
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

Steal

Steal

• 500 plus
  • 697 posts
Thank you for posting this. I have a long way to go to hit 50 years, but find it so inspiring to read/know that there are those out there that are strong and healthy.
~Steph
32 Years Old
Type I (age 6), Minimed Pump User (age 18)
Proud Mommy of two girls: Silver (July '10) and Izzy (Aug '11) (They are 13 months apart)
Current A1C: 5.5%
Full Time Teacher

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
Steph, there are thousands of Joslin medalists and many more waiting in the wings. I have read recent articles that say that the life expectancy of type 1 diabetics in the US is very close to that of non diabetics. If we take good care of ourselves we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

Steal

Steal

• 500 plus
  • 697 posts
Thanks, Richard! I just got my 25 year certificate in the mail, today. You continue to inspire.
~Steph
32 Years Old
Proud Mommy of two girls: Silver (July '10) and Izzy (Aug '11) (They are 13 months apart)
Full Time Teacher

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
Very good, Steph! Many people do not realize there is a 25 year certificate. There are also many people who do not realize there are medals offered for 50 and 75 years of type 1. I found out in 2006, and had been T1 for 61 years at that time.

Steal

Steal

• 500 plus
  • 697 posts
There is a spot on the website (it seems new) that is for people for submit a picture of themselves with their medal and their story. Richard, I thought of you and didn't know if you knew they had started to do this.

Joslin 50 Year Medalist Study | Joslin Diabetes Center
~Steph
32 Years Old
Full Time Teacher

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
Thanks Steph, I have considered submitting my story, but haven't done so. After I wrote my book that is being sold on amazon.com, I have not been inspired to write my story again, and again,.... Lol!

Steal

Steal

• 500 plus
  • 697 posts
Makes perfect sense. I will have to get your book.
~Steph
32 Years Old
Full Time Teacher

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I might have to try that . . . provided I live another six years. (Thanks for the information!)
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .