New Study on Diet Soda and Kidney Disease

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts
Wow, did I hate reading this study. When they studied three thousand women over 11 years who drank 2 diet soda's a day they were 2X as likely to have kidney disease. What is left to eat and drink.... I just hate giving up something I enjoy so much. Has anyone else read this? They don't know if it is the soda or the diet part that effected the kidneys. For now I am going with drinks that are diet but not soda, but who knows for sure?

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,440 posts
"Twice as likely" means what increase in absolute risk?
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

Mystae

Mystae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can totally understand your frustration. While I haven't read this, in particular, I have done quite a bit of reading about artificial sweeteners, and because of that reading, have basically cut out nearly all artificial sweeteners from my diet. Which means, since I'm doing low(er) carb, that that means no soda. It took me about a year to wean myself off of Diet Coke, let me tell you. That was a hard habit to kill. However, I love coffee, so a lot of what I've lost in DC has been somewhat made up with coffee... Although I've cut my caffiene consumption in about half, too.

One of the biggest benefits I've seen, though, is my water consumption. I now drink a minimum of 40 ounces of water a day... Which isn't quite to my standards, but is MUCH more than it used to be. Hopefully at some point in the future, I'll get more disciplined about drinking the 60-80 ounces a day I *want* to be drinking.

But yeah, it is kind of crappy sometimes to look in the fridge and know that my drink choices are basically: water, coffee or tea. Sometimes milk, and unless I'm hypo, never juice. But to me, it's worth it not to have all that stuff (which may or may not affect me for the worse) inside me any more... And it took me a LONG time to come to this decision (several years and one constantly nagging - but well intentioned - mother :o). For you, it may not be worth it.

I was in a place recently where I didn't have a choice and had to get a DC, and it was the first time I'd had one in well over 6 months, and let me tell you, at this point, they couldn't pay me to drink the things! I don't know how I ever got used to that terrible airplane-fuel aftertaste in the first place...

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

cyberus

cyberus

• 500 plus
  • 1,182 posts

(IMNSHO)

It means someone with an axe to grind data-mined some statistical model somewhere and pulled a number out of their arse
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts

Anytime you double a number it can not be good. :eek:

And I HATE this new test, I am a diet pop fiend, Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet coke
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

retired60

retired60

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
I refuse to give them up. Diabetics are not normal people as far as health, twice as likely for heart trouble, etc, etc.I will take my chances and enjoy them.
Retired 60:) :)

Lantus 20 units daily
Glucaphage 500x2 daily
Carvedilol 12.5 x 2 daily
Furosemide 40 mg daily
Benazepril 5mg daily
Aspirin 325mg daily
10/15/08 a1c 5.3
1/15/09 a1c 5.4
4/01/09 a1c 5.6
7/26/09 a1c 5.5

Grunch

Grunch

• 500 plus
  • 488 posts
Do you have a link to the study?

edit: I found this, didn't read yet. http://www.naturalne...h_soda_pop.html
Diagnosed 03/27/09
MDI - Lantus & Humalog
Mar 09 - 10.5
May 12 - 5.2
Oct 12 - 5.0

Grunch

Grunch

• 500 plus
  • 488 posts
It doesn't say diet soda, just says soda pop.
Diagnosed 03/27/09
MDI - Lantus & Humalog
Mar 09 - 10.5
May 12 - 5.2
Oct 12 - 5.0

Grunch

Grunch

• 500 plus
  • 488 posts
And it says that the problem is likely sugar:

But there are some clues. "People are consuming too much sugar. The problem with high fructose corn syrup (in soda pop) is that it contributes to over consumption. It's cheap, it has a long shelf life and it allows you to buy a case of soda for less than $10," stated Shoham, who headed the research team.

Diagnosed 03/27/09
MDI - Lantus & Humalog
Mar 09 - 10.5
May 12 - 5.2
Oct 12 - 5.0

Grunch

Grunch

• 500 plus
  • 488 posts
News Release Detail

However, researchers did not find an elevated risk for men, or for people who drink diet soda, said lead researcher David Shoham of Loyola University Health System.

Diagnosed 03/27/09
MDI - Lantus & Humalog
Mar 09 - 10.5
May 12 - 5.2
Oct 12 - 5.0

NewdestinyX

NewdestinyX

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,591 posts
It's all just a bunch of scare tactic nonsense so many times - depending on the 'funder' of the study. These studies are so 'poorly' executed sometimes. We're all going to die of failing health one day. Hey - if you can make some changes and hedge your bets -- do it.. More power to you. But when the frikin' New England journal of Medicine comes out with 4 studies in 2 years first saying wine in bad then good then bad then good..... I get a little nervous that I can't trust ANY of these studies. The same thing has happened with coffee and milk chocolate in the last 5 years... YEs, good! No, bad!!! I thought they called it 'science' - not 'art'.. :(
Grant

Dx 7/15/09 - A1c 10.6 :o; 10/26/09-7.2 :); 1/20/10-5.7 :D; 4/10/10-5.6 [Bayer Home Test] :D
Meds: Metformin XR 500mg-2/day, Lantus 16iu morning, Diovan 80mg-1/day,
Nexium 40mg-2/day, D3 2000iu, B12 2500mcg; Diet: for now, low carb:<70g/day
Weight mngm't: Down 30 lbs since Dx :thumbsup: Exercise reg: Biking in combo w/ 45 min at gym 3-4x/week

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts

And it says that the problem is likely sugar:

But there are some clues. "People are consuming too much sugar. The problem with high fructose corn syrup (in soda pop) is that it contributes to over consumption. It's cheap, it has a long shelf life and it allows you to buy a case of soda for less than $10," stated Shoham, who headed the research team.

High fructose corn syrup. Again. :eek: And PLoS carries weight.

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts
I'm not giving up diet soda. I do drink caffeine-free and non-cola types whenever possible. Caffeine can be slightly dehydrating, and the phosphoric acid in cola-types sodas (diet or regular cokes, pepsis, etc.) can leech calcium from your body. So, I only keep diet orange soda, Sprite Zero, and diet ginger ale in my house - all caffeine free and phosphoric acid free. I do drink Diet Pepsi if I'm eating out at a place that has it (don't like Diet Coke), but that's not too often since most places don't carry Pepsi products.
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,433 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Thirty years ago I heard that drinking soda gave you an increased risk of kidney problems. A co-worker developed kidney stones and his doctor told him to stop drinking so many colas and switch to water. The water is what is needed to prevent kidney stones, and the various acids in cola helped to create kidney stones. If this is true, then just drink a bottle of water after you drunk a bottle of diet soda....that should equal things out.:)

The thing is, when it says that drinking diet sodas doubles your chances of having kidney problems, what does that mean? I'm asking that because I had heard on the news that the incidence of rabies in my area, increased by 200% over last year. That got me worried....till I found out that last year there was one case of rabies, and this year there were three....so a 200% increase, but still only three cases.;)
Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(If at first you don't succeed, give up. The d*mn thing probably wasn't worth it anyway.):D

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,440 posts
The reports I found online (Googling "kidney disease diet soda") refer to a study that has been/is being presented at a conference on nephrology here in San Diego, at UCSD, this week. It was diet soda, specifically:

The second study looked at the association between sugar- and artificially-sweetened beverages and kidney function decline in the same group of women. The researchers found an association between two or more servings per day of artificially sweetened soda and a two-fold increased risk of faster kidney function decline. There was no connection between sugar-sweetened beverages and kidney function decline.

The association between artificially sweetened beverages and kidney function decline persisted after Lin and colleague Dr. Gary Curhan accounted for other factors, such as age, obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, physical activity, caloric intake and cardiovascular disease.

Further study is needed to better understand how artificial sweeteners influence kidney function decline, the researchers said.

The studies were to be presented this week at the annual meeting of the American Society of Nephrology, in San Diego.

The study others are referring to was released in February, and did refer to soda pop generally:

For the study just published in PLoS ONE, a peer-reviewed journal of science and medical research produced by the Public Library of Science, Loyola scientists examined data from a representative sample of 9,358 U.S. adults in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey( NHANES). The NHANES participants gave urine samples and also filled out questionnaires about their dietary habits.

Women who said they drank two or more sodas in the 24 hours before the urine test were 1.86 times more likely to have albuminuria, an excess amount of a protein called albumin, in their urine. This was a warning flag to the researchers because healthy kidneys should filter out large molecules like albumin. That means an excess amount of albumin can be a sign of early kidney damage.

Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I cannot imagine such a sweeping statement being presented there.

WHAT is it that causes renal function decline in diet soda? Or is it even something related, such as behaviors or other food consumption by diet soda drinkers, but not actually IN the diet soda? WHICH artifical sweetener was in the diet soda?

Absolutely a waste of money.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• 500 plus
  • 762 posts
They can take my beta cells. They can take my candy. They can even take my bread and pasta. But they can pry my can of Diet Pepsi out of my cold, dead hand!
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

plattb1

plattb1

• 500 plus
  • 2,071 posts

They can take my beta cells. They can take my candy. They can even take my bread and pasta. But they can pry my can of Diet Pepsi out of my cold, dead hand!

I LOVE it!

This reply too short ...
Barrie

Dx T2 Sept 1999
Latest A1c 6.1 (April 2010)
Metformin 2000 mg daily
Lantus 20 units daily
Ramipril 10 mg daily
Multivitamin, B-12, D-3,
R-ALA/biotin, Omega-3 (chia oil)

PrettynPurple

PrettynPurple

• 500 plus
  • 636 posts

here here :congrats: :cheers:

June 10 a1c 6.4%
Oct 09 A1c 6.2%
April 09 A1c 6.2%
Dec 08 A1c 6.2%
Sept 08 A1c 7.5%
June 08 A1c 8.5%

Diagnosed: June 08
Metformin 1000mg twice daily

Posted Image

fgummett

fgummett