• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

NickyK524

NickyK524

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi everyone,

I was just diagnosed yesterday so I am a little bit of a spazz right now. I apologize.

After being diagnosed yesterday morning, I was sad and depressed and barely ate anything all day. I had a chicken salad for lunch with sesame dressing and a sausage for dinner with a glacerna bar. My husband brought home a glucose tester for me and my first prick was last night about 2 hours after dinner. That reading was 159. I just tested again this morning and it was 163. I checked out blood sugars 101 and will be going to the library today but how is it possible to have a higher testing after fasting and how long does it take to notice your blood levels going down to the ranges that are normal, if ever?

Thanks for all the advice thus far! It means so much ;).

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
It's overwhelming to start with. So much information out there, bad and good. Your numbers aren't exactly horrible to start with, so that's good. Some are diagnosed with numbers triple what you have right now.

What meds are you on right now?
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

sumi

sumi

• 500 plus
  • 1,307 posts
Hi Nicky,
As JPS said, many people here started with far worse numbers than you have. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't improve them, but try not to panic. Unfortunately there is a lot to learn and it will take time. If you read back in the old threads particulary in the introductions section, you will find tons of advice, some of it conflicting. Remember many of our goals are a matter of personal opinion, rather than hard facts. Also some people have a far easier time improving their numbers than others.You will have to devise a plan of your own and start experimenting. I think we all agree that regular exercise is of tremendous help. Many of us found that lowering our daily carb intake far below the ADA recommendation worked wonders, others feel that diet is too restrictive. As far as the higher level in the morning, this is call the dawn phenomenom, very common, and very frustrating. Some people have managed to conquer it, so far, I'm not one of them.
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

KatGirl

KatGirl

• 500 plus
  • 138 posts
Hello and Welcome!!

It can take a while for your numbers to come down. What meds are you taking? Medications like metformin can take several weeks to kick in. I know when I was first diagnosed I would see morning numbers in the same range as yours. In time I've learned to cut carbs and up the exercise. I now see morning numbers in the 70s to upper 80s range.

There is so much information out there that it can be overwhelming. What works for one person may not work for another. I've found that cutting out carbs and increasing the exercise helps a great deal. I eat about 40-50 carbs a day and exercise 5 days a week for about 2 hours. My advice to people just starting out is to start slow. It took me about 9 months to get to this point. Also, in the past year, I've lost 50lbs (still have 25lbs to go).

Read all you can and ask lots of questions. Test you blood sugar before and after meals so you know what foods are safe for you. Also, take one day at a time and try not to stress out too much. In the beginning, I was obsessed with my numbers, carb count, etc. A year later I am still a little obsessed but I know what works for me to get the results I want.

By the way, it is fairly common for your morning numbers to be higher then your evening numbers. It seems like your liver likes to dump glucose during the night. My trick for that is to eat some protein/fat right before bed. Most of the time it works for me.
Recent A1c: 11/5/10: 5.0 :D

Completed Races:
6/13/10: North Shore 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:46
9/13/10: Chicago 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:35
10/31/10: Monster Dash 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:37
11/6/10: Chicago Hot Chocolate 15K: Chip Time: 1:48

Upcoming Races:
Disney Princess Half Marathon (Orlando): 2/27/11
Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K: 4/10/11
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon: 5/1/11

NickyK524

NickyK524

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I am currently not on any meds. I have autoimmune hepatitis and I guess Metformin isn't great if you have a liver disorder so I have to have a complete check with my hepatologist before I can get on Met, and his first available appt. is Jan 11th, so until then I will just be doing diet and exercise and watching my numbers.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

I am currently not on any meds. I have autoimmune hepatitis and I guess Metformin isn't great if you have a liver disorder so I have to have a complete check with my hepatologist before I can get on Met, and his first available appt. is Jan 11th, so until then I will just be doing diet and exercise and watching my numbers.

If you do need medication you might consider insulin... I started early on with insulin and gained good BG control. It is not perfectly natural but it's pretty close to what we have in our bodies anyway and if you are concerned about your Liver it seems to me that pretty much any oral meds you take are likely to pass through there in some form or other :)

Meantime in terms of diet... Real whole food, is my order of the day... preferably local and in-season, grown/reared on nutrient rich land. This means eat whole (unprocessed, unpackaged, unadulterated) food, which includes a natural balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates (as well as vitamins, minerals etc...) ...don't be afraid of fat... it's gotten a bad rap.

Those of us with Diabetes need to pay particular attention to those foods which have the most effect on our Blood Glucose levels. There are obvious things to watch out for like candy, cola, cakes and sweets (these are high in refined/concentrated carbohydrates)... next in line are the "white" foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, breakfast cereal... but even something assumed to be healthy like orange juice has about as much sugar as a cola... fat reduced milk can have an higher proportion of lactose (sugar), especially in products like fat reduced yogurt which often has added sugar in the form of HFCS ... and so it goes on. That does not mean you need to feel deprived or hungry to eat this way, not by any means.

You'll often see here on DF the phrase "eat to your meter" and this deceptively simple message is very wise... test around your food and figure out what works best for YOU.

I'd suggest that BG control be your primary aim -- managing fat mass, cholesterol/lipids, hypertension etc... all these tend to improve with more normal BGs.

Same rules for snacks... I'm big on nuts, cheese, dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher), pork scratchings, cold meats, boiled eggs, peanut butter.

While we are encouraged to eat "so many servings of fruit and veg daily", many of these can spike our BGs so test, test test... but you may also help reduce/slow the BG spike by mixing foods... for example: instead of eating an apple by itself, try just half the apple in slices with some peanut butter or cheese... or have a few berries with some heavy cream.

I also avoid the term "exercise" but instead prefer to talk about building activity into my daily routine... park further away, take the stairs, go for walking breaks. Something that is sustainable in the long term.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Just a suggestion and my opinion, Nicky. I'd ditch the Glucerna drinks & bars and eat real food. The carbohydrate count in a drink or one bar could be replaced with a small meal with the same amount of carbohydrates or less. Unless of course you find that you like them and you do well blood sugar wise.

Karen

Abra

Abra

• 500 plus
  • 405 posts
What everybody else said! Plus, 159 and 163 are basically the same number. The monitors are allowed to have up to a 20% variation in accuracy, so very small differences like that are pretty meaningless.
Dx 7/09/09
A1c @ Dx 7.2
A1c 3/26/10 6.0
A1c 6/28 5.9
A1c 10/25 5.7
Lisinopril/HCTZ
Synthroid
Vitamin D
Metformin ER 2000

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
Nicky, I had elevated liver enzymes so my doc didn't want me on any orals when I was diagnosed. We opted for insulin. I was scared, but it worked incredibly well. Gained immediate control, felt better right away.

You may want to consider the option.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

NickyK524

NickyK524

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Is it necessary to start on meds right away? I really want to try and see if my diet plus a exercise routine would help first. I have been on so many medications in the past and finally am on none. My liver disease was in remission and I getting retested and having a full test up on Jan 11th (I am hoping I won't have to go back on Imuran). I know my diet over the last year has been incredibly high in carbs/sweets so I being optimistic that by following a good low glycemic diet and getting in some exercise will start showing improvements in my numbers.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

Is it necessary to start on meds right away?

Not in every case no... I was merely suggesting you consider insulin IF you do need meds to get your BGs under control :) If you have caught this early you may be lucky and be able to improve your outcome by cutting back on those foods which drive your BG up.

A few folks here also started on meds to gain initial control but have subsequently managed to come off them.

NickyK524

NickyK524

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Frank,

I appreciate you giving me so much info and it really does help to know there are options if oral meds won't work in my case. If it comes to that, I will consider any option so that I can get this as much in control as possible!

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
No worries Nicky and I forgot to say "Welcome to DF" :)

There seem to be many misconceptions "out there"... like many folks see insulin as last resort for D, or are put off by the needles. It is a useful tool (among many tools) that can help control BG (after all it is the one that the body uses) and as for the injections; most folks here will tell you that the finger sticks to test your BG hurt much more... the needles are so fine that my first injection I had to look twice to be sure the needle was even in ;)

Just so you know that there are options.

Knowledge is power... and D is something best managed when we work collaboratively with the rest of our Health Care Team to decide the best course of action for us. ;)

blancox

blancox

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Very similar to you -- 164 last night, 164 this morning. Dx'd last week and I've been experimenting with blood sugar levels for stuff I like. Waiting for metformin to kick in, and planning/tweaking systems for diet and exercise.

While I treated it like a sprint last week to reduce carbs when I found out, I've calmed down quite a bit. I'm used to the testing, I'm tracking everything, and in a perverse way I'm having fun. I have an explanation to why I have felt incrementally worse the past couple of years, a path to fix it, and a community to offer support.
Posted Image

Chart idea thanks to JPS

Low carber (< 80g/day) since 11/3/2009. Rid of HFCS, white sugar, white flour, most starchy stuff. Replaced those with whole grain bread in much smaller servings, Dreamfields pasta. 1000mg Metformin, 10mg Simvastatin (for HDL), 81mg Low Dose Aspirin

TomT127

TomT127

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
NickyK524. My numbers were about the same when I was first diagnosed about 10 weeks ago. Through diet and exercise the numbers have gone down. Don't freak out. Just develop a game plan and give it time.
A1C
08/09 A1C 6.4
12/09 A1C 5.8
06/10 A1C 5.5
01/11 A1C 6.0
07/11 A1C 6.2
01/12 A1C 6.0
07/12 A1C 6.4
02/13 A1C 6.3
diet and exercise

NickyK524

NickyK524

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I just tested and got a 140 reading (1.5) hours after eating a lunch of chicken, salad and a very low fat/low calorie/low sugar miso dressing. I know it's not low enough, but as long as they are going down I feel better.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Heading in the right direction :top:

I think many of us can relate to the motivation of fear soon after diagnosis -- got to get this sorted NOW! down the gym for 2 hours every day, starve myself all week! -- but I found it only lasts so long and I encourage your approach of setting up long-term, sustainable changes.

A much wiser person than I, once told me "this is a race won by turtles" :)

blancox

blancox

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I just tested and got a 140 reading (1.5) hours after eating a lunch of chicken, salad and a very low fat/low calorie/low sugar miso dressing. I know it's not low enough, but as long as they are going down I feel better.

A week after Dx I've found it's pegged to time of day. Typically it's been 160 wakeup, 160 pre-breakfast, 160 post-breakfast, 135 post-lunch 2 hrs., 115 post-lunch 2 hrs. Yesterday 105 before dinner. I've been coming in at <90g carbs on these days.
Posted Image

Chart idea thanks to JPS

Low carber (< 80g/day) since 11/3/2009. Rid of HFCS, white sugar, white flour, most starchy stuff. Replaced those with whole grain bread in much smaller servings, Dreamfields pasta. 1000mg Metformin, 10mg Simvastatin (for HDL), 81mg Low Dose Aspirin

Meuchelmorder

Meuchelmorder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is it necessary to start on meds right away? I really want to try and see if my diet plus a exercise routine would help first. I have been on so many medications in the past and finally am on none. My liver disease was in remission and I getting retested and having a full test up on Jan 11th (I am hoping I won't have to go back on Imuran). I know my diet over the last year has been incredibly high in carbs/sweets so I being optimistic that by following a good low glycemic diet and getting in some exercise will start showing improvements in my numbers.

Just remember: Whatever works for you is what works for you. If diet and exercise work to get the numbers down, then so be it. If medications are necessary/preferred/supplemented, then that works too. Do what works for you and as long as the numbers are coming down, then something is working.

I'm on just diet and exercise after about 3 years of trying insulin, etc etc etc, and it's working really well for me. Just ask questions, experiment with different foods, figure out what works for you and "git-r-done".

Small victories are important, as is staying positive! Keep it up!

Reba55

Reba55

• 500 plus
  • 229 posts
I also have the "dawn phenomenom" problem. My BG will sometimes be in the 180's in the morning, then level out later to around 100. My doctor said he wasn't too worried about that as long as my A1C stayed below 7. I'm still working on getting that much lower!
Nicky, I have found that I learn something new about Diabetes all the time. This forum, for one, has taught me much more than my doctor ever thought about! lol

Diagnosed Type 2, November 2006
Metformin HCL ER 500mg 2xday
Lisinopril-HCTZ 10/12.5
Simvastatin 1xday
Venlafaxine ER 150mg 1Xday
Enteric Aspirin 81 mg
Victoza 1xday
Women's One a Day Vitamin
Calcium 1000 mg
Vitamin D 600mg
Fish Oil 1000mg 3/day
Naproxin when needed