- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Kneedull

Kneedull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I get a taste of insulin in my mouth after giving myself a shot near my belly button. Usually about 1 to 2 minutes later.

This happens every day and I don't really give it much thought. But I asked my doctor if I'm doing something wrong and he said he hasn't ever heard of it happening.

Is this a common occurrence for others after taking a shot?

Barb

CaitE

CaitE

• 500 plus
  • 112 posts
Yes. Every so often I too get the taste of insulin in my mouth after bolusing. I don't know why. I assume it has something to do with the absorption.
--------------------------
Type I Diabetes Since Age 10 (Dec 1993)
Last A1Cs: 5.8% (OCT'13); 6.1% (SEPT'13); 5.9% (AUG '13); 5.9% (JULY '13); 6.3% (JUNE '13); 6.3% (MAY '13)
Synthroid/levothyroxine since Feb 2013
Pumping since WINTER 2001

*Baby #1 on the way - due DEC '13

dbaratta

dbaratta

• 500 plus
  • 1,673 posts

I get a taste of insulin in my mouth after giving myself a shot near my belly button. Usually about 1 to 2 minutes later.

This happens every day and I don't really give it much thought. But I asked my doctor if I'm doing something wrong and he said he hasn't ever heard of it happening.

Is this a common occurrence for others after taking a shot?

Barb

Here is a good one, one time I bolus for a meal with my family and OTHERS could taste it! I think the odor is airborne and once breathed in you taste it. Does that make sense? They were all thinking I out insulin in the coffee. LOL
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

skinny 'betic

skinny 'betic

• 500 plus
  • 161 posts
I was under the impression that it is not advisable to inject too close to the belly button.
Diagnosed:July'09, Initial A1C:15.7, Latest A1C:5.9, Insulin:Lantus 23u + Humulin R 1u per 10g carbs, Meds:Metformin 1000mg

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 5,124 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
I get it, too. Not often, half the time. Insulin is supposed to go into the fatty tissue; but in order to reach the fatty tissue you have to go through the skin where there are blood vessels. I'm guessing at this...but in the process of the needle going through the skin a small amount of insulin is picked up by blood vessels or capillaries and enters the blood stream. A minute of circulation...and it flows through your tongue.

As to Poppy's suggestion that it might be from the odor, try plugging your nose up next time and see if it still does it. Taste is more dependant on smell than anything else...that's why your mouth is right under your nose. Imagine how confusing life would be had God placed your nose over your butt. :D

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,862 posts
I get the insulin taste to sometimes but all the time.

Rob

Deblyn

Deblyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I get the taste in the back of my mouth too. Almost every time.

mcmxi

mcmxi

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
I have to ask. What does insulin taste like?

A1C:15.6 (04/2011)
A1C: 5.4 (08/2011)
A1C: 5.2 (12/2011)

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,750 posts

I have to ask. What does insulin taste like?

Vodka.........:D

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,750 posts
I've never had that happen to me. Interesting....

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users