Low Body Temperature

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CarrieJett

CarrieJett

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts
This probably has nothing to do with being diabetic, but just curious if anyone else has a low body temperature. Whenever I check my temp (many different thermometers), I always have a reading of 96.5-97.0 F. It occured to me the other day that I may not be a weirdo, so I thought I would ask. Who knows? PS. I am not a vampire.
Type I
Age 30
DX 2003
Lantus, humalog, exercise, optimism
Bike advocate in high schools
occasional triathlete

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Not meaning any impropriety but where are you testing your temp?

CarrieJett

CarrieJett

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts

Not meaning any impropriety but where are you testing your temp?

Under the tongue. I know there's nothing wrong with the thermometer, cause my whole family uses it (sterilized!) and they all read a nice 98.6!
Type I
Age 30
DX 2003
occasional triathlete

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
I have read that there is a natural variation among people... metabolic rate is one variable.

Under the tongue... I would wonder if you tend to breathe through your mouth? Also beware of cold drinks before taking your temp. Or there may be other factors which make your mouth cooler than others.

The core temperature is the one you really need to be concerned about.

I understand that the electronic thermometers which measure in the ear are closer to the core temp... although there are other ways to measure this which are (ahem) a little more invasive.

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I also have a lower than "normal" temperature. Not long ago, I found a relation to low body temp and hypothyroidism (which I have). Even though I'm controlled w/Synthroid, I still run low temps.

Is there any chance your thyroid is slow?
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

CarrieJett

CarrieJett

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts

I also have a lower than "normal" temperature. Not long ago, I found a relation to low body temp and hypothyroidism (which I have). Even though I'm controlled w/Synthroid, I still run low temps.

Is there any chance your thyroid is slow?

You know, most of the women in my family have hypothyroidism so we checked mine last time and I am well within normal. Probabaly something for me to keep a eye on, though!
Type I
Age 30
DX 2003
occasional triathlete

jenet

jenet

• 500 plus
  • 710 posts
As far back as I can remember (even as a child), my healthy temp has always been lower than "the normal 98.6". This may be a YMMV thing. :)
The above is my personal opinion, and Your Mileage May Vary. ;)
  • May 2 1995 - "D" Day
  • Feb 22 2006 - Animas 1250 (Silver) - Later Upgraded to 2020
  • May 11 2007 - Guardian REAL-Time (MiniLink)
  • May 16 2007 - Animas 2020 (Silver) - Pump Failed Aug 22 2011
  • Sep 08 2011 - Animas Ping (Silver)
  • Sep 22 2011 - DexCom 7+
  • Dec ?? 2012 - DexCom G4 (Pink)

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts
mine is lower then 98.6 too. I also have the thyroid disorder but never connected the dots.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

lilmoe76

lilmoe76

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I too read somewhere that it can be related to metabolic disorders...I never run a "normal" temp and if I do, I am sick! Hard to tell your work you have to stay home sick because your temp is "normal" :)

My temps are usually 95-97ish. My mom has said too that even when I was little, I rarely had a fever. Thanks for posting this, nice to know I am not alone!
If it isn't one thing, it's another!

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
Mine is almost always in the low 97's. I have hypothyroidism as well. Interesting.
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts
I never gave a temp. My is usually 96.7 and has always run low ever since I can remember.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

sumi

sumi

• 500 plus
  • 1,307 posts
Hi Carrie, From the number of people with thyroid issues on this forum, there does seem to be a strong correlation between having diabetes and thyroid problems. Low body temperature is one of the symptoms. In compiling a list of things to talk to my dr. about this week (which started me thinking of hypochondria as # 15), I realized that they were all symptoms of low thyroid. It seems to me that I read that your thyroid level may seem normal, but for some reason it is not being utilized properly, which reminded me of insulin resistance. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read this (poor memory and lack of concentration are other symptoms)....now where was I? :confused:
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

CarrieJett

CarrieJett

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts

Hi Carrie, From the number of people with thyroid issues on this forum, there does seem to be a strong correlation between having diabetes and thyroid problems. Low body temperature is one of the symptoms. In compiling a list of things to talk to my dr. about this week (which started me thinking of hypochondria as # 15), I realized that they were all symptoms of low thyroid. It seems to me that I read that your thyroid level may seem normal, but for some reason it is not being utilized properly, which reminded me of insulin resistance. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read this (poor memory and lack of concentration are other symptoms)....now where was I? :confused:

Susan, My mom had to go through about four doctors before they would give her enough synthyroid to get her to feel healthy. She still fell asleep at the wheel, got hives, and all sorts of hypothyroid things till she found a doctor who believed her that even though her numbers were "normal" she was really not okay. I hope your doc listens to you!
At this point my vitality feels pretty good, but I am definitley going to insist on getting the THS test each time I get my labs, so if there is any change I will know! I remember my mom sleeping through my whole childhood, and just trying SO HARD all the time. Before I was DX'ed I managed to ignore my symptoms till I ended up in the hospital for a week. I think a lot of us feel that is normal to be tired, to feel like ****, and to not complain.
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I always wondered about this, and now I will keep an eye on the thyroid more. Hopefully I am just a low temp person. We'll see!
Type I
Age 30
DX 2003
occasional triathlete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users