- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

saabgirl88

saabgirl88

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just got the insulin panel back and it said it was elevated. I guess normal is below 24 and mine was 31. The letter said we needed to start medication at the follow up visit.
Does this mean I am a diabetic? If I have to much insulin then shouldn't my sugar levels be low and not high? Two hour after most meals I run about 160 to 250. So I am very confused as to what is going on? Thank you for you help with this.

jps

jps

• Seniors
  • 1,105 posts
With Insulin resistance, that means your body isn't utilizing insulin as well as it should. With that, your sugar goes up. Your body tries to compensate by pushing out even more insulin to counteract the high sugar.

"Two hour after most meals I run about 160 to 250"

Your doctor is telling you that you are prediabetic with numbers like these?

Might want to request an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Time) from your doctor. It's what is used to diagnose - but a couple fasting sugars above 127 (or 128?) is used also. How are your fasting sugars (blood sugar taken after 8-12 hours of no food)?

With your sugars like that, he hasn't ordered a Hemoglobin A1c (aka A1c, HbA1c, HbA1c)?

I'm not a doctor, but yes, those numbers seem high. You are not in any immediate danger or anything like that, but you are going to want to get to the doc and figure everything out. Your doctor should steer you down some pathway. If he doesn't and wants to keep playing things by ear, you should probably find a new doctor.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the odds of high insulin and sugars in that range being something OTHER than diabetes have to be extremely low.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

CALynn

CALynn

• Members
  • 335 posts
You are seeing an endocrinologist, right? If not, you should be.

minkydog

minkydog

• Members
  • 107 posts

With Insulin resistance, that means your body isn't utilizing insulin as well as it should. With that, your sugar goes up. Your body tries to compensate by pushing out even more insulin to counteract the high sugar.

"Two hour after most meals I run about 160 to 250"

Your doctor is telling you that you are prediabetic with numbers like these?

Might want to request an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Time) from your doctor. It's what is used to diagnose - but a couple fasting sugars above 127 (or 128?) is used also. How are your fasting sugars (blood sugar taken after 8-12 hours of no food)?

With your sugars like that, he hasn't ordered a Hemoglobin A1c (aka A1c, HbA1c, HbA1c)?

I'm not a doctor, but yes, those numbers seem high. You are not in any immediate danger or anything like that, but you are going to want to get to the doc and figure everything out. Your doctor should steer you down some pathway. If he doesn't and wants to keep playing things by ear, you should probably find a new doctor.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the odds of high insulin and sugars in that range being something OTHER than diabetes have to be extremely low.

Everything jps said. Your body is pumping out insulin because the muscles aren't getting enough insulin. Then the message your brain gets is that you've made TOO much insulin so now your liver kicks in some glucagon to "help", which results in higher blood sugar. Then your brain gets the message that your pancreas needs to make more insulin, and THEN....you get the picture. It's a vicious cycle. Incidently, my insulin level is 74.:eek: Yeah. That's insulin resistence for ya. Prediabetic.

although my fastings are fine and my A1c is 5.5(normal) my glucose tolerance test told the tale. My sugars were 256 and 212 at 1hr and 2hrs after drinking the drink. My doctor now considers me to have type 2 diabetes and I"m taking Metformin twice a day and a low carb diet. It's working well, I'm losing weight, and I'm keeping my numbers mostly in the normal or near-normal range. My hope is that some day I'll be able to drop the meds, but I'll never again be not diabetic.

saabgirl88

saabgirl88

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I see my doctor Thur. to start the metformin or whatever it is. But when I asked her at my last appt. if I was diabetic or prediabetic she said for now she is saying pre, but with my numbers going over 200 on more the one or two occacations I am really a type 2.
She is real careful about saying on paper I am type 2 due to the fact that I am small and too young. I am only 30 and I am only 115 to 120. But I have had three pregnancies, one that was borderline diabetic, one that I had to do 2 insulin shots a day and the other one I did 3 insulin shots a day. My dad is insulin depended, but I am unsure of the type he has. So long story short, I am concidering myself type 2 and working on diet and starting med.
Does anyone have any suggestion on carb intake? I have read that 40 for meals and 20 for snacks. I am out of stripes to test with so I have no idea how my sugars have been. But judging by the way I feel lately I am going to guess not so good. So I am going to the store tomorrow and am making my list today but need to know what are the best things to eat and how many carbs is okay? Any suggestion on healthy but somewhat sweet snacks, I am craving sweets right now! My fasting bg seems to be good, staying between 95 and 110. So I am doing something right, right? I just need to work on after meals and before, my evening meal is usually 140 before and 200's after. Why is that my evenings are higher then my mornings, I have read a lot of you seem to have a problem when you first get up. For me it seems more so in the evening and overnight hours, I have waken and tested at 2am due to feeling "not right" and it was 215. I am a little confused about this as I tested when I got up that morning and it was down to 112. Any how, I know this is a strange post, just needing a little help right now! Thank you!

CALynn

CALynn

• Members
  • 335 posts
First you need to call your doctor and have her phone in an Rx to the pharmacy for lancets and testing strips. The more info you can give her when you next see her, the better.

Marley

Marley

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey saabgirl88, just wanted to comment on what you wrote. I hope that the metformin works but you should know that there will most likely be an adjustment period for you to find the dosage that works for you. Don't get discouraged if your sugars are all over the place when you first go on the medication.

Now, about the carb thing- any chance you can meet with a nutritionist to help map out a meal plan? You may think that 40 grams is suffficient for a meal, but if you have a medium sized baked potato, there's 44 grams of carbs right there. They add up really quickly sometimes. Resources for you will be a big help- including a nutriionist or dietician and a book like CalorieKing, which can be a huge help when accounting for carb values.

Ronin

Ronin

• Seniors
  • 1,628 posts
Hi Saabgirl88!

Your insulin level are only slightly elevated, for now. I'm a bit perplexed that your MD hasn't prescribed the typical Pre-D regemen of: low carb eating and exercise.

Metforim is an okay drug, but like all drugs it has some side-effects. If you can avoid them so much the better.

How do you eat now? What about exercise? I seem to remember that you said you were at normal weight for your height. Finally, what about your other health indicators like Cholesterol leves, Blood Pressure, et cetera. There seems to be more here than simply high BG levels along with high insulin levels.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 4359 (26 Nov)

Fasting C-peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

01-Jul-2014 -- 5.6%
01-Aug-2014 -- 5.2%
01-Sep-2014 -- 5.5%
01-Oct-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Nov-2014 -- 5.7%

minkydog

minkydog

• Members
  • 107 posts
I crave carbs badly if I eat a high carb, simple sugar food, like pasta, pizza, white rice, french fries. My sugar goes up around 150-180 and I'm like a maniac tearing up the kitchen. However, if I make sure the last thing I eat at a meal is protein(meat, cheese, egg, beans), then it stops the cravings.

I eat a low carb diet and it's working well for me. I find that I do have to make sure I eat snacks between meals, things like peanut butter, almonds or walnuts, cheese, bits of meat or eggs. I eat fruit in the afternoons when my sugar tends to be lower and i always eat it with a little protein.

saabgirl88

saabgirl88

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi Saabgirl88!

Your insulin level are only slightly elevated, for now. I'm a bit perplexed that your MD hasn't prescribed the typical Pre-D regemen of: low carb eating and exercise.

Finally, what about your other health indicators like Cholesterol leves, Blood Pressure, et cetera. There seems to be more here than simply high BG levels along with high insulin levels.

I have been doing a diet (but she didn't really give me much of a diet plan, just eat as much whole food as possible and stay away from processed food and fast food) and I try to exerise three times a week but if I were honest it doesn't happen always, being a homeschool mom and trying potty train a toddler and every thing else I do, so it is not like I just sit all day either. That being said though, I would like to lose a few pounds around the middle, still haven't lost baby belly.

Everything is within normal limits, some I remember are on the high end of normal but everything else looks good. Blood pressure is normal, 120/73 last time I was in, but on a normal basis is it 100/60. But I just started a medication to prevent daily sever migraines and it lowers blood pressure so i hope not to much!

What is a good goal for carb intake at meals and snacks?
I did switch all our pasta intake to whole wheat and I skip the bread for me and put a salad with it where as i wouldn't normally do that, we would only make speg. and bread. So I am trying to make changes. I do find that blueberries tend to spike me to 200's even 300's at one point so I have learned as much as I love them to try and avoid them. I am slowly learning what I can and cannot eat. I guess it is all trail and error till you find what work for you huh?

ramon

ramon

• Seniors
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Saabgirl, I too crave sweets. There is some good chocolate out there, dark 75% or up. Cream on strawberries or most berries. You have to read the labels and count the carbs. Do not fall for sugar free products like I did. Bought a bunch of sugar free cookies that turned out to have more carbs then bread. You must get a BG meter and test before each meal and 1hr and 2 hrs after each meal to understand what effect certain meals have on your bg. COUNT carbs to keep your bg under control. If they give you meds they will most likely take 2 weeks to take effect. You are lucky not to be over weight cause that should help you to maintain BG if you are indeed a T2. Good luck on your new life style. COUNT CARBS and TEST.

Chef Barrae's Diabetic Recipes | Google Groups

Lucid Nutrition: All About Spaghetti Squash
Lowcarbfriends.com Fruit Carbohydrate Counter

Blood Sugar 101

Read some of these sites to help you get started.

Ronin

Ronin

• Seniors
  • 1,628 posts
Hi Saabgirl88!

In your reply you wrote: "I try to exerise three times a week but if I were honest it doesn't happen always, being a homeschool mom and trying potty train a toddler and every thing else I do, so it is not like I just sit all day either." Getting in some kind of regular daily exercise is difficult, particularly when you have a lot of family responsibilities. However, lack of exercise is one of the largest contributing factors to Insulin Resistance. You really need to work something out with a, friend, or neighbor or your husband to allow you some time each day for a brisk walk, run, bike ride, whatever will get your heart rate up and make you sweat for at least a half an hour. Doing this is also a very good example for your children -- teaching them that exercise is important.

As far as low-carb snacks go: whole fruits, low fat nuts, and the like work. However, these have to be worked into an eating plan that assures that you don't get too many calories.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 4359 (26 Nov)

Fasting C-peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

01-Jul-2014 -- 5.6%
01-Aug-2014 -- 5.2%
01-Sep-2014 -- 5.5%
01-Oct-2014 -- 5.7%