Photo

How to bypass Accu-Check Aviva code key and date check?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

jake10

jake10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Does anyone know how to bypass Accu-Check Aviva code key and date check?

Thank you.

Jake

cyberus

cyberus

• Seniors
  • 1,182 posts

Hello,

Does anyone know how to bypass Accu-Check Aviva code key and date check?

Thank you.

Jake

Dunno about the date check but you don't want to bypass the code key since that sets the variance in the meter for that production lot.
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
Just change the time on the meter to a date before the expiration.

DiabeticDawg

DiabeticDawg

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Changing the date does not work. I have tried this four or five times with some strips i had lost then found and were 1-1/2 to 2 years old. I have tried everything I could think of but nothing seems to overcome the code.

I stopped using Aviva because of this. I switched to Wavesense Presto last year. No code, easy to use, small sample size, great software and best of all 50 strips for $16 at WalMart if you have no prescription. It's almost as cheap or cheaper than getting a prescription.:D

HeartMan

HeartMan

• Members
  • 366 posts
If you've stopped using the Aviva, why are you asking how to use the Aviva? Are you a sales rep for Wavesense?
Post Transplant Diabetes 2004
FreeStyle Lite, Accu-Chek Aviva, Contour USB meters
NovoLog & Levimir Insulins
A1C 04/10 5.8
A1C 08/10 5.6

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,200 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

If you've stopped using the Aviva, why are you asking how to use the Aviva? Are you a sales rep for Wavesense?

I don't think DiabeticDawg is asking how to use the Aviva...that question was posed by the original poster.

His profile also states that his "occupation" is Industrial Sales to Pulp & Paper Industry.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
I'm having this same issue now. I found an older post that says to just use a new code key. I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, but I'll try it and post. Hopefully the accuracy won't be screwed up. I also searched and found an old post saying there's a way to short the internal battery to reset the date.

HeartMan

HeartMan

• Members
  • 366 posts
I don't think DiabeticDawg is asking how to use the Aviva...that question was posed by the original poster.

Absolutely right. Sorry for sounding caustic.
Post Transplant Diabetes 2004
FreeStyle Lite, Accu-Chek Aviva, Contour USB meters
NovoLog & Levimir Insulins
A1C 04/10 5.8
A1C 08/10 5.6

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I wonder if calling Accu-Chek and telling them your problem, and how you have to use the expired strips because you can't afford any new ones now, will convince them to send you new ones in exchange for the old ones? I have recently used some expired One Touch strips that I found and they worked perfectly. I compared the readings on the same meter, changing the Code each time, and the results were comparable. The vials I used had never been opened. I think if the vial had been open and some strips were used they could be compromised.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

AccuHelp

AccuHelp

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The reason it prevents you from testing with expired strips is because expired strips can give wildly varying results. Accu-Chek does not guarantee the results of expired strips as the chemistry on the strip begins to break down. The strips have an 18 month shelf life.

Yes, you can use a code key for non-expired strips and use expired strips, but whats the point? You might as well guess your blood sugar because you get the same thing from using expired strips.

It is not their policy to replace expired strips, but there is a high chance that they will send out at least one vial of strips to you.

My main point of advice? Only buy as many test strips as you can use before they expire. If you don't test frequently or the amount that your doctor recommends and then the strips expire, isn't that your fault?

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

Yes, you can use a code key for non-expired strips and use expired strips, but whats the point? You might as well guess your blood sugar because you get the same thing from using expired strips.

I recently opened two meters (an UltraSmart and an UltraMini) that had the sample vials of strips in them. I didn't realize they included strips when I first got the meters because I'm so used to meters not coming with strips anymore. Both vials had expired but had never been opened. I tested both against current strips and they worked perfectly. I can't remember when they expired. I think the older vial was 9 months out of date and the other was only a few months. If it had been years the results may have been different. If the vial had been opened already the results may have been different. I also recently used some expired Bayer Contour strips. Again, never opened and not too long out of date.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts

My main point of advice? Only buy as many test strips as you can use before they expire. If you don't test frequently or the amount that your doctor recommends and then the strips expire, isn't that your fault?

Test strips are expensive. A lot of people know they may be losing their insurance and try and stockpile. I personally had just found strips I had misplaced while moving (I moved 3 times in <2 years).

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
That's something I really hate about the Aviva meter. I have one but don't use it a whole lot for just that reason. As has been suggested, I tried resetting the date. It worked once but not the second time so what Iv'e done is set it at the earliest date possible in the hopes that even though the strips may be out of date the meter thinks it's a year or two earlier than what it actually is. What I had to do this last time was get some key codes from someone here on the forums. I'm extremely grateful to this person and feel horrible that I never sent a thank you or some form of payment to help offset the cost of sending the key codes to me.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

hutch58

hutch58

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
All,

Just found this forum and joined. This is my first post.

I understand strips have a shelf life and can give inaccurate readings. However, strips only a couple of weeks to 1 month are probably okay to use. I have several boxes which were given to me I would like to use. Can the memory on the meter be 'flashed' and reset? I never say an answer. I tried to reset the date but this doesn't work as the history (apparently) resides on internal memory.

I've been using the Aviva since 2007. Any recommendations for another meter. I usually purchase my strips via eBay but since I had several boxes given to me, I haven't purchased any in about 6 months (or more).

Any all suggestion are welcome and appreciated.

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 12/2007.

Cblake

Cblake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah, the date/time thing is not to cheat you, it's to provide the best results the system can provide. the chemicals in the strips degrade and if you use them you might not get a good reading. I use bayer contour meter and strips. no coding, small sample. and thier software to keep my test records to chart progress and all.

zaunrn

zaunrn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Had the same problem with strips that expired 4 days ago. It drove me crazy. I finally figured it out!! Found on another thread that the machine has some kind of internal battery and there is a way to take the machine apart and unsolder some piece and then solder it back. I wasn't up for that much work, so found a way to do it without. Take the battery out of the meter and place a piece of aluminum foil so that it touches the + and - points that the battery would touch. This drains what must be a rechargeable battery that is inside the machine. I left it on for a day or so. Then replace the battery. See if the date you had in it before is still there. If not, reprogram to an earlier date, and it works like usual. This will delete the memory, so write down anything you need to before you do this. Hope it helps!!!

Xyso

Xyso

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in since I'm having the exact problem as many posters here.

UPDATE: I mention below that there must be some way to get rid of the data stored by the meter by somehow taking the meter
apart and shorting the battery or something. zaunrn has posted a message on how he accomplished that.
I won't quote his information here since I believe he deserves 110% credit for his ingenious work. So read his post.

#1 - I didn't think to change the date on my meter until AFTER it gave me the famous E-5 "expired key" message.

#2 - Evidently, it stores the status of the key internally, since I removed the battery and then tried to change the date a couple of months
back and it STILL gave me the E-5 error.

#3 - They DO force you to change the key since one of the things it does is that it does not allow you to change the date to a year prior to
the current year.
i.e. it's 2012 now and the furthest year you can set it back to is 2012. (I've had the meter for a couple of years so I know it didn't come with 2012 already set.)

#4 - The whole reason for trying to trick it into a couple of months back is that I have quite a few strips left that the key expired on a couple of days ago
so I believe they are still perfectly good and they are so expensive ($70 for 50 strips in my case. Yes, I know I need a new supplier) I just
can't see myself throwing them in the trash because of a stupid meter technicality.

#5 - Regarding the advice given that using strips past their expiration date (like I said, only a few days in my case) will give erroneous results,
I have used strips perfectly within their proper dates and have had results sometimes that using 3 strips in a row (using the
exact same blood drop on my finger, not "re-pricking") and getting wildly varying results from an initial 220 to the 3rd being 110.
So I'm not really 100% positive about the stupid results anyway, BUT most of the time if I test 2 times in succession, it does give results within
5 or so points.

#6 - Lastly, the only way I could find to "defeat" the E-5 "expired code key" error was to use a code key from a bottle that expires sometime in 2013 and then using
the remainder of my strips that way. I feel sorry for the folks that don't have that option i.e. having a bottle to open with a new key that is far
from expiring.

However, there might be a way to Google (I couldn't find anything though) for a way to short out or somehow reset the internal battery so that it
will let you set the date backward, thus using an expired key for a little while. Also to get rid of the "memory" that it seems to store that you've
already tried that particular code key.

If anyone wants to try it themselves, the screw or screws that will open the meter are under the silver label on the back of the meter.
Simply use your fingernail or some other object to "scrub" around (like scratching off a "scratch-off" lottery ticket) until you see indentations in
the label.

There are the screws.

At least one is almost directly under where it says "Roche" at the bottom of the label, and I believe another one is under where it says "858" in the phone
number at the top of the label.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone trying to get some use out of some remaining expensive strips that have "expired" according to the meter.

Yours,
Hugh

Edited by Xyso, 01 April 2012 - 02:43 PM.
Saw new info in another post

dice22

dice22

• Members
  • 184 posts
Don't know about the date check but get a no-code meter.
http://www.diabetesf...e=1321385465A1c between 5.8%-- & 6.2% ( now 6%) for 11 yrs. . ....On Actoes (30 mg.),Lorastain (80 mg.) for high blood, & 81 mgs. aspirin, 800 mg. Ibuprofen for chronic inflammatory disease trying just to take at bedtime though, Liptor 80mg. once a day (taken at night though) ,plus a 250 mg. anti-botic ( Dr. changes every 4 month) & 125 mg. Bethachol (75mg. in the morning & 50 mg. in the eve) ..... - Cheryl:D:)

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,200 posts
  • Location95965
Aren't all meters now "no-code" meters?

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• Seniors
  • 6,646 posts

Aren't all meters now "no-code" meters?

Accu-Chek Aviva still uses code keys.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users