- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

oma

oma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I'm new here. This is my first post.

I have been prescribed Januvia 100 mg., once a day, for Type 2 diabetes, but my doctor neglected to tell me whether it makes any difference what time of day I take it.

I can call on Monday, of course, but would like to get started on it today.

Does anyone take Januvia? What time of day do you take it?

It gives me a lot of gas and I would prefer to take it at bedtime if that doesn't negate the benefits.

Thanks.

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
Hi,

I don't take Januvia but just googled it and based on the info I found on credible websites, it doesn't matter what time of the day you take it. It helps to take it the same time each day, though. You can take it with food or without.

Your best bet is to call your pharmacist and ask what's the best time of day.

Good luck!

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts
I take Januvia 100 mg. What matters most is that once you start taking it you continue to take the medication at the same time everyday.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 2,798 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2

Hello, I'm new here. This is my first post.

I have been prescribed Januvia 100 mg., once a day, for Type 2 diabetes, but my doctor neglected to tell me whether it makes any difference what time of day I take it.

I can call on Monday, of course, but would like to get started on it today.

Does anyone take Januvia? What time of day do you take it?

It gives me a lot of gas and I would prefer to take it at bedtime if that doesn't negate the benefits.

Thanks.

Januvia is a great medication, the gas thing is new to me. What I like about it is it stops working when your bg drops low, helping to prevent Hypo's:thumbsup:

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966
I'm assuming you posted this question before you picked up your prescription at the pharmacy. By law it's required that your pharmacy print and label all instructions concerning your prescription right on the bottle, including warnings of any pertinent side affects. For instance, my bottle of Lipitor reads:

'Take one tablet by mouth in the evening', those instructions come from the doctor on the prescription. On the yellow margin it says: 'Avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice'

There's a lot of other information on a prescription bottle as well. It's all there to protect the patient from being confused as to how to use the medicine, like yourself.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

oma

oma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To Boutyman....all is says on the label is to take one a day. There was a sheet enclosed that didn't address this question.

I'm taking it at bedtime to try to avoid the side effects and am seeing some results (and less side effects) so I think I will just wait until I see my doctor after Christmas. It's hard to get an answer from her (probably the staff can't properly handle all the calls). Perhaps the pharmacist can help.

Thanks for replying. I do know to read the labels and do so. I am bipolar so I take lots of medicine and read the labels and information online always. Online it just says to take it once a day as well....with food or without....but no suggested time of day.

I'm aassuming it doesn't really matter as long as it is effective. I've only been taking it for a few days and my fasting is dropping....not as quickly as I like...but it is going down.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

I'm taking it at bedtime to try to avoid the side effects and am seeing some results (and less side effects) so I think I will just wait until I see my doctor after Christmas.

If the prescription says 'once a day' with no other warnings or instructions, then I'd take it whenever I felt was the best time for me, like you're doing. I assume your doctor will say the same thing. Some doctors will recommend that you take a medicine at bedtime to insure that you have a dedicated time to relate to. Has nothing to do with the medicine...it's just a convenient time to be where you keep your medicine.

I have the same instructions on the box of my Lantus insulin pens. 'Inject 27 units subcutaneously at bedtime'. I followed that regimen to the letter for 3 months. Problem was the times I went to bed varied. Sometimes 7 o'clock, sometimes 1 o'clock in the morning. Reading up on Lantus I found out it was called a basal insulin that was designed to last for 24 hours. I assume the doctors thought everyone went to bed exactly at the same time every night. They'd be wrong. Anyway, I'm home every night and take my insulin just before Wheel of Fortune. This allows me the rest of the night to forget about being a diabetic.

I'm glad your Januvia is working for you. :)

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users