- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

lmaz

lmaz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Recently I was put on amoxicillin (which I think is penicillin?) for an infected jawbone.
The longer I am on it, the higher my glucose levels are, now running twice as hi as normal.
I could not find any info on this site (or on the Net) that amox can raise glucose levels.
(I was thinking it might be the infection, except my glucose levels were normal prior to going on amox, and the levels have gotten higher the longer I am on the med).
Has anyone else has this reaction? Or has any other antibiotic caused this for anyone? Thanks.

skinny 'betic

skinny 'betic

• 500 plus
  • 161 posts
All I can think of is that the meds are helping your body to fight and the fighting your body is doing is the culprit of the elevated BG.
Diagnosed:July'09, Initial A1C:15.7, Latest A1C:5.9, Insulin:Lantus 23u + Humulin R 1u per 10g carbs, Meds:Metformin 1000mg

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1

All I can think of is that the meds are helping your body to fight and the fighting your body is doing is the culprit of the elevated BG.

Infection can raise your blood sugar dramatically. However, antibiotics will also sometimes cause a raise in your glucose levels. My guess, it is a combination.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lmaz

lmaz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you both for your replies.
I am relieved to learn that antibiotics can raise glucose levels. The dr found out that, after all, I did NOT have an infection, so then it must have been the antibiotics themselves that were elevating the glucose levels.
As soon as I went off of them, the glucose values returned to normal.

LoffKat

LoffKat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently started taking an Amoxicillan/Clavulanate mix for a scalp infection which resulted in swollen lymph nodes. roughly 4 hours after starting taking the meds my glucose readings rose significantly and have kept rising. I've been on it for 1.5 days and I woke up this morning at 515 even after dosing at bed and adjusting my boluses (prior to this my BG was great, within 70-180, even having had the infection for a few days). I've been speaking with my endocrinologist and nutritionist for recommended pump adjustments but if i can't get my BG down i'm going back to the primary doctor and getting a different medication. the last time i was 515 was when i was 7 and ate candy! I feel horrible as a result.

LoffKat

LoffKat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
How long did it take, literally, for your glucose to return to normal? 1 day? a few hours?

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

How long did it take, literally, for your glucose to return to normal? 1 day? a few hours?

You're probably going to want to increase your night-time basals around 20% or even higher (some diabetics have noted their basals need to increase 50%+ to stave off 300+ bg readings but YMMV). You're probably on the antibiotics a full two weeks right (or 10 days)? I've noticed that about 2 or 3 days, sometimes 4, after I stop taking antibiotics my blood sugars return to normal. Once, the antibiotic didn't raise my blood sugars at all, but I had to stop taking it 7 days in b/c I developed hives while on it.

Fawn

momof2gr8kidz+1

momof2gr8kidz+1

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
weird I will have to watch this. I take amox. a lot because I have a heart defect so any sign of infection in sinus areas they will stick me on it. or for any dentist appointment (but for these appointments it is only one really high dose).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

mindlike

mindlike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
[url=http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/bacteria-gut-offer-clues-diabetes]Bacteria in the Gut Offer Clues to Diabetes | Diabetes Forecast Magazine[/url] ... this is likely why. Research in diabetic
cures for 1 and 2 are looking closely at gut bacterial populations. And amox would likely effect either the allied or enemy population..
not sure which one though.

SamanthaBush

SamanthaBush

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When my husband has infection of any kind or has under the weather symptoms he has to adjust his pump to a set basal for "sick" times. And Amox makes him go a little high too. Bactrum is even worse which is quite odd since it's such a mild antibiotic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users