- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

savvysearch

savvysearch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
The ADA came out with new guidelines today. a1c is officially recommended to be a diagnostic tool for diabetes. An a1c of 5.7 to 6.4 is now considered a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. Diabetes diagnosis remains at 6.5.

[url=http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/American-Diabetes-Association-1095958.html]American Diabetes Association's New Clinical Practice Recommendations Promote A1C as Diagnostic Test for Diabetes[/url]

ramon

ramon

• Seniors
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Good catch savvy, over 50 million with prediabetes and 1.5 million new Ds a year. Man this is crazy.:eek:

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• Seniors
  • 4,222 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Ouch, Just had my blood work done and my A1c was 5.7. I thought that was too high to be 'satisfactory,' like the Doctor checked on the form.

No problem, I am on hubby's ultra low-carb lifestyle and feel much better than a month ago.

None the less, I will point that out to her when I go back.

Thanks for posting,
Janice

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
hmmmm that seems high to me. But if they are going by A1cs in the first place, IMHO they are gonna find people too darn late anyhow.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

yannah

yannah

• Seniors
  • 5,599 posts

hmmmm that seems high to me. But if they are going by A1cs in the first place, IMHO they are gonna find people too darn late anyhow.

agreed.

yeap. and **** they raised the bar.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• Seniors
  • 6,685 posts

They do say: "A person without diabetes would have an A1C of about 5 percent."
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

They do say: "A person without diabetes would have an A1C of about 5 percent."

Yeah, maybe it's just that "junior diabetes," thing that is bugging me again!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

sumi

sumi

• Seniors
  • 1,307 posts
I guess I'm temporarily postanteprediabetic.
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

ROFL! Mind if I share the category with you?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
At least they are saying that 5.7 is bad. My stupid endo refused to listen to me because my a1c was 5.7 therefore nothing was wrong. Thank God I found somebody who was willing to look at the fact that I tend to swing a lot and therefore my a1c is misleading.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

Josselyn

Josselyn

• Seniors
  • 804 posts

THANKS for the smile!
I guess I'm in, too. :D

* DIAGNOSED 5/27/09
* A1c: 05/27/09: 6.6
* A1c: 10/23/09: 6.1
* A1c: 01/21/10: 6.0
* A1c: 04/22/10: 6.0 (sigh) :o
* Home
FBGs now 93 -116
* Failed the OGTT; 288 at 2 hrs. :eek:
* Insulow: 6 caps daily; 2@ 8 hr. intervals.
[/COLOR]

CALynn

CALynn

• Members
  • 335 posts
I like that they lowered one end of the bar, but I can't help thinking that this might be the start of things to come under obamacare. That is, by delaying a diagnosis of diabetes under the new rules, it means they don't have to dispense critical treatment right away.

I'm not liking this. It's akin to that asinine study with mammograms that recently came out.

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
I think you're seeing shadows that aren't there. But then, I don't buy into conspiracy theories.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Diet and Exercise

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
I'm a little confused... did they raise or lower the A1c bar for Pre-Diabetes?

I agree fully that relying only on A1c as a screening method is flawed logic (as has been pointed out by the CDA and many other diabetes experts worldwide) and will allow many to slip through the cracks but surely a lower A1c threshold even if it catches just a few more would be good thing?

Josselyn

Josselyn

• Seniors
  • 804 posts

I like that they lowered one end of the bar, but I can't help thinking that this might be the start of things to come under obamacare. That is, by delaying a diagnosis of diabetes under the new rules, it means they don't have to dispense critical treatment right away.

I'm not liking this. It's akin to that asinine study with mammograms that recently came out.

Frank, I think that "they" lowered the bar from somewhere around 6.0-6.5 to that 5.7 for a pre-D dx. So, isn't that a GOOD thing, CALynn??? Or am I mistaken in my interpretation? :confused:

It catches more people earlier, so they can address it, I would think. I'm fairly certain that "normal" went up to about 5.9 until this...and many docs ignored the designation of Pre-D until the patient FINALLY hits an A1c of 6.6 or more, and then had a full blown T2 dx.

BTW, I agree with you on the mammogram thing, CALynn. I've lost friends in their thirties-forties , to breast cancer. Idiocy...and only to save money.

* DIAGNOSED 5/27/09
* A1c: 05/27/09: 6.6
* A1c: 10/23/09: 6.1
* A1c: 01/21/10: 6.0
* A1c: 04/22/10: 6.0 (sigh) :o
* Home
FBGs now 93 -116
* Failed the OGTT; 288 at 2 hrs. :eek:
* Insulow: 6 caps daily; 2@ 8 hr. intervals.
[/COLOR]

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Hey, my A1C is 5.6. Does that mean I'm now sub-pre-diabetic?:D

Jen

savvysearch

savvysearch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
They lowered the threshold so it should catch more people at risk for diabetes. I think they should use a1c as a diagnostic tool. It doesn't mean they should only use a1c to test people. Just like they shouldn't only use fasting glucose to see if people are fine, which is what is currently going on right now. But we all know that for some people, impaired glucose tolerance happens way before there is an increase in fasting glucose. And an a1c will help to catch these people who may be unwilling to sit two hours for a OGTT.

So yeah, person #1 with prediabetes with a fasting glucose of 100 can have a normal a1c of 5.5.
But person #2 with a normal fasting glucose of 79 should generally not have an a1c of 5.8 unless he/she is at risk. Using a1c as a diagnostic tool will not catch person #1 but it will catch person #2 which is was the focus should be on. Person #1 was already caught with the fasting glucose which is what doctors in general, always order.

Now, a great doctor will order an OGTT. But I imagine patients aren't very compliant with an order of having to sit at a clinic for 2 hours, getting blood drawn thrice. A1c is the next best thing. At least, it'll give the doctor some idea of likelihood.

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
The problem with your response savvy is what the problem that so many of us have with our doctors. Our doctors have got it in their head that most Type 2's are not compliant and will not put the work in. So they lower the bar. They aren't giving people the opportunity to step up to the plate so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

With your line of thinking, doctors aren't even going to try for the OGTT. That means that many people are going to miss a diagnosis at a time when they can do the most to fix it. This is the exact kind of thinking so many of us fight when we try to be proactive by testing, eating lower carb, and keeping our levels within a healthy range.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Diet and Exercise

eliza0104

eliza0104

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Interesting...Wondering what that makes me? I was 6.4% in June 09, retested in September 09 5.1% without any diet changes.
34 y/o ~5'7" ~138 lbs

June 09
A1C~6.4%
FBS~107

October 09
A1C~5.1%

Hypothyroidism & Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease
Maternal Grandmother~T1
Paternal Grandfather~T2

Trying to figure this all out!

gyno

gyno