- Lantus Vs Humulin N -

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Delphinus

Delphinus

• Seniors
  • 2,456 posts
I have only ever used Humulin N(NPH) for my basal insulin, and I use approximately 50-60 units a day.

If using Lantus, in your experience, would the usage units be similar?

I guess it varies from person to person, but I am wondering, typically, if it would go up or down.

I know NPH insulins don't last as long, and they have a peak, but I am wondering how much of a difference it would make.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

Delphinus

Delphinus

• Seniors
  • 2,456 posts
Of course there is cost.

If I am using less Lantus, even tho it costs more, I may same a few clams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+++ Jason

DanG

DanG

• Seniors
  • 968 posts

If I am using less Lantus, even tho it costs more, I may same a few clams.

Saving clams is a good effort.

It seems that the general impression that I recall from persons here on DF who have used NPH is that it is an old fashoned basal and that lantus / levemir is the new tech in terms of basal insulin. I have no experience with NPH.

May I piggyback onto your thread? I would also like to hear from those that know, what difference there was between lente and NPH. I used lente as my only insulin for 30 years. Another person that I worked with 35 years ago was using NPH, I believe. Maybe that person was using NPH and Regular? I always thought it might be nice to use lente and have regular for some quick fix, but never did that. Is today's humalog similar in use and effect to regular? I guess I will google lente to see how it was supposed to be used. I know several years ago here at DF, others told me that lente was not to be used the way I used it - oh, well.

Delphinus

Delphinus

• Seniors
  • 2,456 posts

Saving clams is a good effort.

It seems that the general impression that I recall from persons here on DF who have used NPH is that it is an old fashoned basal and that lantus / levemir is the new tech in terms of basal insulin. I have no experience with NPH.

May I piggyback onto your thread? I would also like to hear from those that know, what difference there was between lente and NPH. I used lente as my only insulin for 30 years. Another person that I worked with 35 years ago was using NPH, I believe. Maybe that person was using NPH and Regular? I always thought it might be nice to use lente and have regular for some quick fix, but never did that. Is today's humalog similar in use and effect to regular? I guess I will google lente to see how it was supposed to be used. I know several years ago here at DF, others told me that lente was not to be used the way I used it - oh, well.

Piggyback away... I am curious as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+++ Jason

DanG

DanG

• Seniors
  • 968 posts

Piggyback away... I am curious as well.

Here is a link I found that is quite informative.
The top part of the page describes diabetes.
About half way down the page, they write about insulins.
I found a good explanation of lente - not unlike NPH, it seems, but it seems lente did not play with R?

isletsofhope.com/diabetes/information/print/history_1.html

Are links to other web pages allowed?

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I used Humulin L up until I switched to Lantus a few years ago. I also used Regular along with the Humulin L.

I went directly from those two, to Lantus and Humalog. I used to take 20 units daily of Humulin L, and ended up at 15 daily units of Lantus.

In a pinch (out of town or didn't have script so bought Regular over the counter), I bought Regular to replace Humalog, and I used the exact same amount of R as Humalog . . . it just took longer to work.

Personally, I'm curious about NPH action compared to Lantus. I don't understand why someone would go back to NPH. For me, even Lantus has it's predictable little peaks during the day. Here on DF, there is a T1 taking NPH and not even bolusing . . . at all.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I know that when I switched from NPH to Lantus I was taking less. Then again I was probably taking too much NPH to begin with, trying to combat dawn phenomenon. I don't think the difference in the amount of insulin was enough to make up for the cost. I have insurance and my co-pay was the same for all insulins.

For me, Lantus was a whole lot better than NPH but it did not live up to the hype. It only lasted around 18 hours so I had to go back to taking two injections, morning & night. It still had peaks but they weren't as bad as NPH. I felt a lot better on Lantus than I did on NPH.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

TommyC1

TommyC1

• Seniors
  • 1,189 posts
Hmm,
I was taking two 26u shots of NPH each day. No bolus insulin.
Went to 22u Lantus/day plus roughly 10-20u of Novalog for bolus.
So if you just count my total daily dose I am using 10- 20u less.
But I'm also eating less carbs.
But I also have much better daily numbers and A1cs as well as far fewer and more manageable hypos.

Hmmm?

Lantus & Novalog MDI

shiftzor

shiftzor

• Seniors
  • 1,020 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Here goes:

Intermediate Acting Insulins

Lette - Made by Lilly, Novo Nordisk - Introduced in 1951

Starts in 2-4 Hours
Peaks in 6-12 Hours
Gone by 16-24 Hours

NPH - Made by Lilly, Novo Nordisk - Introduced in 1946

Starts in 1-3 Hours
Peaks at 6-12 Hours
Gone by 16-24 Hours

Long Acting Insulins (with little peak)

Lantus - Made by Aventis - Introduced in 2001

Starts in 2 Hours
Peaks at 6 Hours
Gone by 18-26 Hours

Detemir - Made by Novo Nordisk- Introduced in 2003

Starts in 1 Hours
Peaks at 8-10 Hours
Gone by 18-24 Hours

Comparison Of All Insulins

Controlling your bg using an intermediate insulin (requiring two doses a day) is very difficult, mainly due to the unpredictability in action especially from the NPH (know very few people who use Lente). Using Lantus or Detemir as a basal insulin is preferable as it has a steady action. Lantus or Detemir are known not to last the full 24hours which is why many people split their dose in half (AM & PM jabs). Further reading and reference for info: Using Insulin by John Walsh.

Pumping 20/05/2009 Animas 2020

CGMS coming soon...

owlyn

owlyn

• Seniors
  • 1,482 posts
I was quite happy when I switched from NPH to Lantus. The NPH peak was really tough, as it caused many lows and forced me to eat off-hours. Lantus was much better, but it really clicked in for me once I split the dose. My A1Cs are slightly lower now than when on NPH, but I attribute that to the more even distribution allowed by splitting the Lantus- not just the Lantus alone.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users