Photo

How long does it take for the meds to leave your system?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Big Daddy Kool

Big Daddy Kool

• 500 plus
  • 248 posts
It's my first full day without taking medicine and was wondering how long does it take for meds to leave one's system. My last dose of glypicide was at 9am yesterday?

HallnOatesRock

HallnOatesRock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know, but when you see your glucose spiking then you know those meds are waring off...

Big Daddy Kool

Big Daddy Kool

• 500 plus
  • 248 posts

I don't know, but when you see your glucose spiking then you know those meds are waring off...

My doc's took me off meds yesterday, so I am really watching the situation closely. So far so good, bedtime BG was 110, wake up BG was 90.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,969 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
From my understanding, Glipizide goes to work pretty quickly, helping to lower blood sugars by stimulating insulin production, unlike metformin, which seems to takes awhile to reach optimal levels in the body. If this is the case, I would also assume that it would leave your system pretty quickly as well. I looked on the Phizer website, but didn't find the answer, though it did mention a 6 hr plasma peak.

Actually, you are probably going to be the best one to answer this question. How are your blood sugar readings this morning? I'd encourage you to keep check on them post meal, to see if you have any lingering effects of the Glipizide....and let us know!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Big Daddy Kool

Big Daddy Kool

• 500 plus
  • 248 posts
2hours after breakfest it is 96! Yeah!

From my understanding, Glipizide goes to work pretty quickly, helping to lower blood sugars by stimulating insulin production, unlike metformin, which seems to takes awhile to reach optimal levels in the body. If this is the case, I would also assume that it would leave your system pretty quickly as well. I looked on the Phizer website, but didn't find the answer, though it did mention a 6 hr plasma peak.

Actually, you are probably going to be the best one to answer this question. How are your blood sugar readings this morning? I'd encourage you to keep check on them post meal, to see if you have any lingering effects of the Glipizide....and let us know!

Searchy

Searchy

• 500 plus
  • 361 posts
The half life of Glipizide is 2-5 hours.

So .... 5 to 10 hours.
Newbie, who needs advice :)
Diagnosed 10-28-09 T2
BG Fasting 409 :eek:
BG at discharge from Hospital 192

A1C 10/30/09 10.4 :(
A1C 11/30/09 8.3 :o
A1C 2/1/10 5.6 :D
A1C 5/13/10 5.4 :D :D
A1C 11/10/10 5.7 :)

1x Metformin 500mg daily
1x Glipizide 5mg daily - not anymore! - 3/4/10

Big Daddy Kool

Big Daddy Kool

• 500 plus
  • 248 posts
Thanks for this!

Btw, I feel much better as my BG isn't crashing thru the floor.

The half life of Glipizide is 2-5 hours.

So .... 5 to 10 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users