Report on Home A1c Meters

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,434 posts
Six of Eight Hemoglobin A1c Point-of-Care Instruments Do Not Meet the General Accepted Analytical Performance Criteria

Two of the eight testers (the A1cNow and Quo-Test) did so poorly in the early part of the testing that their makers pulled them out of the rest of the study.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,312 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2
H'm...when I clicked on "Full Text" to see what the protocol parameters consisted of; whole blood (home tests) versus plasma blood (lab tests) etc. they wanted to sell me the complete article for $15.

One might wonder why Bayer pulled out. Quote: "Because of disappointing EP-10 results, 2 of the 8 manufacturers decided not to continue the evaluation." I would have pulled out, too. A bad review by anyone is a bad review...true or not.

Since Clinical Chemistry Online wishes me to pay $15 for that information...I have no informed opinion on this article.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,434 posts
Jenny Ruhl posted about the tests in her blog, "Diabetes Update," today. She gives some more detail. I have used the A1cNow test, and it gave me a reading of 5.9 the day before I had blood drawn for a lab test that came up 5.4.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

Ronin

Ronin

• 500 plus
  • 1,571 posts
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased the Bayer A1CNOW kit, only to find that there are "problems" with the accuracy. That being said, we should put things in a proper context. They only two "Acceptable" Point-of-Care instruments that passed were the Afinion and the DCA Vantage. Here's the rub, both of these are rather expensive machines that are only sold to MD's. What is strange is that the DCA Vantage is a product from Bayer/Seimens and the machine is "free" to an MD if the office subscribes to a specific number of test kits per month.

We aren't comparing apples-to-apples here, no more than comparing your hand held glucose meter to the much more sophisticated device used in a professional lab or MD's office.

There is one reality -- we are a whole lot better off today than some years ago when the only home test available was the infamous urine strip that my father used to attempt to control his Type-2 condition.

As consumers we have to work with what is out there and available and keep reporting back to the manufacturers to make them better-and-better. Right now the professionals have a stranglehold on the best equipment and we have to pry their fingers off the machines and get good stuff developed for in-home use.

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 1225 (22-Apr)

Fasting C-Peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

02-Dec-2013 -- 5.6%
01-Jan-2014 -- 5.6%
01-Feb-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Mar-2014 -- 5.7%

27-Mar-2014 -- 5.5%

goldenbo

goldenbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for this - I was considering purchasing one. I'll wait for labwork instead.

huskerdan25

huskerdan25

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
I used the Bayer Home A1C test in late November before getting lab results from my doctor. I recorded a 7.1 on the home test and my lab result came back at 7.2. Seems accurate to me. Last month, just before completing 3 months of low-carb eating since diagnosis, I tested using the home test and it came back at 5.7. Based on my average on my meter, I expected it to be between 5.5 and 5.8. Again, the home test seemed to provide an accurate result.

I will have official blood work again on 2/16. I will be testing using the home test the day before I give blood for my official blood work and will compare (actually, my doctor asked me to do this to be able to compare the results).

As far as I have experienced, the home test was very close to the lab result (.1 difference) and I'm not sure what to think. Seems to be darn close so far for me and it will be interesting it it is close again to my lab results next month.

Dan
Type 2
Dx'ed 10/8/09 A1C 11.1 FBG 223 :eek:
No meds
Dr. B low-carb diet and exercise
05/15/10 A1C: 5.9 C-Peptide 3.9
02/16/10 A1C: 6.0
12/15/09 A1C: 7.2 C-Peptide 4.1 - Official lab

goldenbo

goldenbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Dan - does this provide results right away or do you have to send it out? It definitely sounds as though it is pretty accurate!

Thanks!

Karen

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
I think people have found a1c now pretty accurate here.
walgreens used it to do free a1c's not too long ago.

I have used it 2 times. I have two more tests in the study.

I cannot comment though because both times I did not use them near a lab result.

I will say everyting else I have read on the internet looked pretty upbeat.

maybe I will do my next one same time as lab and let you know.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

dougjgreen

dougjgreen

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
About 4 months ago, I took advantage of a CVS program offering free A1C testing, where they used the Bayer A1Cnow meter. As my sugars had been rising via my normal glucose testing, I expected that I might top 7 on the AIc reading. At the CVS free test, using the Bayer A1Cnow meter, I tested at 7.1. Later that week, I got my standard semi-annual lab panel from my doctor's lab services, and my test came back at 7.2. So the meter seemed pretty close to me. As a result of these labs, my physician added glyburide 1.25 mg to my existing regimen of 2550 mg daily of Metformin, about 3.5 months ago. She told me that she wanted to get my A1C down closer to 6.5. Anyways, I just picked up one of these Bayer Meters myself because I had a mfr's coupon for $10 off, and a couple of CVS coupons for another $9 off, so the cost of the Bayer meter (with supplies for 2 tests) was only $13 including tax - my labs usually cost me quite a bit more than this.

Doing the test was straightforward, and my A1C self-test result this morning came in at 6.7. I have not yet gotten my lab panel done with my current regiment of meds, but it seems that the effect is positive in the right direction, albeit perhaps not quite as great as my physician was hoping for - but she had indicated that she wanted to see what effect adding 1.25 mg of Glyburide would have, and if it was inadequate, she'd double it.

Anyways, based upon 1 data point, I'd say that the Bayer meter reading came in within 0.1 of my lab, and the second reading using a different Bayer A1Cnow meter came in within the realm of my expected results. Reading Bayer's own materials about the accuracy of the meter, they claim that their 95% confidence band for the meter's accuracy is +/- 0.1, and at least my own experience implies that this is within the realm of plausibility.

Mimi malone

Mimi malone

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I used a Bayer home kit a few weeks ago (posted it here and promised to get back to everyone with a follow up with "REAL" results but link is gone)....

ANYWAY.... home test said 5.7. Blood test from the lab done a few days later came back at 5.9. I am okay with that amount of variation... It just took me a while to get to the doctor to get the results between his and my vacation schedules.

I'd buy the home version again - I don't like surprises at the doctor's!!! LOL
Dx 5/2010
Fasting bg 277
A1c 11 Weight 225

Current Meds
2000 Metformin, 20 mg Lisinopril
Methotrexate (for severe psoriasis)
5 miles a day (45 minutes) on elliptical

As of 7/2010
Weight 195, Bg range 80 - 150 with highest daily number being my morning one

As of 9/30/10
Weight - the same :(
A1C - 5.9 :)
Doing P90X bootcamp with personal trainer 5 days a week at 5:30AM. :eek:

"When life gives us lemons, let's make sugar free lemonade!"

aggie168

aggie168

• Validating
  • 1,340 posts
I also did the Bayer A1C Now a month ago. It said 5.9. I just got my lab result back from yesterday. It is 5.90. I said it is very close. Probably within 0.1 variance. Worth the $15 per test in the kit. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Novolog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg
10/2013 A1c=5.9 Chol=126 Trig=69 HDL=52 LDL=60
05/2013 A1c=5.7 Chol=137 Trig=79 HDL=47 LDL=74

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users