Decongestants

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts
I went into my pharmacy today because I've got some bug thats going around. I wanted some decongestant or something like lemsip just to relieve my symptoms for a bit, but I wasn't sure which ones had sugar and which didn't. So I asked the pharmasist and she said there was nothing I could have except paracetamol or any other pain killer, because diabetics shouldn't take decongestants :o I asume she's right?

She said the only thing I could have was olbas oil to sniff.... but that never helps me and usually just give me a head ache!

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

buzzborne

buzzborne

• 500 plus
  • 1,450 posts
Whenever I have come down with a bug or anything i do usually tend to stick to paracetamol, but if feeling really grotty and bunged up I will have a lemsip, or sudafed, which is a good decongestant, not sure about the sugar content in it and cant find a box to tell you but it may be worth a try.
Hope you feel better soon :)
~ SchaTzcheN ~

T1 since age 11

Now a qualified Norland Nanny

Oradev

Oradev

• 500 plus
  • 533 posts
I take Airborne whenever I get sick. It helps out tremendously. It contains only 2 carbs i think.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

I try so hard to stay positive...I know that I wouldn't have had the life that I've had without it. The bad or the good.

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Everything is labeled not to be used by diabetics. Geesh I get yelled at even when taking medicine. I have my dad in the background asking "should you be taking that"

Then again he was the one that said shouldn't you be taking insulin when my sugar was 28. :eek: I have had this for years now and he is still confused.

At my pharmacy we used to have special decongestants for diabetics but....
Hmmm I didn't realize till now that they don't carry them anymore.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom

• 500 plus
  • 1,092 posts
Our pharmacy has diabetic tussin that I picked up for Thomas. I think it is sugar free cough/cold medicine.
Nancy

Thomas (13) diagnosed Sept 24th, 2003, a week before his 10th birthday, pumping since Deecember 2003 - Animas 1250

archimeech

archimeech

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts

Our pharmacy has diabetic tussin that I picked up for Thomas. I think it is sugar free cough/cold medicine.

I usually try not to take anything, but when I do take something it's the diabetic tussin. It's sugar free, and they have various formulas depending on the type of congestion, just like the other tussins. Next time you're at the doctor ask them what they suggest. My doctor prescribes a decongestant/expectorant for me all the time. Can't remember the name, but he never worries about me being diabetic when giving it to me.
The only way to manage diabetes is to CURE it...
Diabetes since December, 1983
Meds: Humalog/Pump since 1998, Synthroid 200mcg, Zetia 10mg, Altace 10mg, Prevacid 60mg, Zoloft 150 mg, Xyzal, Benfotiamine 600mg, 1-a-day multivitamin, Aspirin 325 mg, Garlic-geltab 4,000mg, methylcel. fiber therapy 2,000mg(for cholesterol) So, what's in your lunchbox? :1eye:

Funding JDRF to get rid of diabetes is like funding the Mafia to get rid of organized crime

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,187 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Like camjen said, everything is labelled as 'not suitable for diabetics' and most of that can be taken with a pinch of salt. It's basically just a legal dislaimer that effectively says 'we couldn't be arsed to test this on someone with diabetes so we're just going to say it's unsuitable for you'.

If you're looking for a good decongestant then Sudafed dual action tablets are good. I find that Lemsip 12 hour Flu capsules a great too - they're these bloody great big tablets that are about 2'' long and they rattle when you shake them.

They definitely work though.

As for sugar content - well, if you get the tablets rather than the drinks, they're sugar free anyway. But if you still want the drinks, I believe they label the sugar content on the side of the packet - in fact they actually put this as 'information for diabetics', which seems rather odd given that you're not supposed to be taking them! Still, I find the actual bg raise caused by sugar in the product is pretty minimal anyway, especially since you're probably running high from being ill anyway.

Linda57

Linda57

• 500 plus
  • 413 posts
Doesnt Sudafed have caffeen (sp) in it? and I think that lowers blood sugar............Im probably wrong :(

Linda
Type 2 since October 2003. Taking Metformin.

Posted Image

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,187 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I think the amount of caffeine is comparable to a cup of coffee. Also I was under the impression that caffeine raises bg, although it may be that the increased metabolism caused by it may offset any raise and result in a lowering of bg in the long run.

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts

but if feeling really grotty and bunged up I will have a lemsip, or sudafed, which is a good decongestant,

I was going to have sudafed but then I read that it said DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE DIABETIC, Which made me think twice :P

Still, I find the actual bg raise caused by sugar in the product is pretty minimal anyway, especially since you're probably running high from being ill anyway.

No worries about that!... My bg has been doing nothing but drop all day... I should have got the lemsip after all and added some sugar!! :P :(

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
The only thing sudafed ever did for me was make me all speedy. I was still stuffed up and sick, but i was stuffed up and sick on speed. I don't think that had anything to do with being diabetic, I think it's just how my body reacted to whatever was in the sudafed to make it "non-drowsy"

I go along with what has been said about how they all say "not for diabetics" even though there is no real reason for them to say that. Benadryl is the only one I've found that doesn't say that, but it's a antihistamine (sp?) not a decongestant. (but that one makes me crazy drowsy... like fall asleep sitting up drowsy)

The best thing I've found is the Nyquil / dayquil combo, take the orange pill in the morning and the green one before bed, and colds / flu just don't stand a chance.

but as you're referencing paracetamol and lemsip I guess you're not in the US, soooooo my advice is really not worth anything.

I had a diabetic flatmate when I lived overseas and he swore by lemsip, I think they even had a sugar free formula (in Ireland) either that, or he just bolused when he had to. I stayed away from all medicines over there until the very end when I couldn't bear it anymore (my whole flat had whatever it was that we had, and we were all miserable), I never tried the lemsip tho.
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

KickStart101

KickStart101

• 500 plus
  • 3,185 posts
Well, I have to be pretty sick in order for me to take anything. I nomally
drink lots of water and other liquids plus my chicken soup of course and take
extra insulin if I need. Usually I don't need extra insulin unless I have a fever then it shoots my sugars up. Usually take a Tylenol for that. We have
Neo Citran DM but I only use half a package with a full glass of water. As far as sugarless cough medicine, me and Hubbie grew up on Buckley's Mixture and our Kids use it also. "It Tastes Awful, But It Works". Actually we all like the taste of it. We have tried others through the years but always came back to Buckley's. I use Vick's rub on my chest, back and just inside my nose. But I have to be very sick for that also. The last time I was sick was Christmas 2003. What a Terrible 6 weeks that was. That was the first time in years.
Type 1 for 46 yrs.
%%%%%%%%%%
Dxd. Dec./1961
%%%%%%%%%%
MDI ~:hello:
%%%%%%%%%%
***CARLIE***
~*~*~*~*~*~
*Good Luck 07-08 Sens*
~*~*~*~*~*~

~~:cheers:~~
%%%%%%%%%%

overclock

overclock

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I can't take anything with Pseudoephedrine in it. My eyes become dialated, kinda like the yearly eye exam dialated, and I become very jittery on the inside like I can't stop shaking but no visible signs of shaking. These symptoms are probably more from high blood pressure than diabetes though. And I love Pseudoephedrine when I have a cold. Too bad for me, not worth the pain.
Pumpin' and lovin' it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users