Dextrose, dextrin, maltodextrin in Artifical Sweetners

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
I have been using Stevia in the Raw instead of many other artifical sweetners like Splenda. How do the bulking agents in artifical sweetners affect you? Do they seem to increase BG numbers for you or is the amount insignficant? Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Mike Opteris

Mike Opteris

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Larry,
Yep, they all jack me up just like sugars. Then keep me up for a couple of days. Doesn't matter what artificial sweetener is used, if it has any bulking agent, up I go. Most of the 'sugar alcohols' do the same thing. I can use liquid splenda as it doesn't contain any of the 'bulking' agents and Stevia works good for me. I also can tolerate regular good ol' saccaharine.
Mike

Insulin Dependent
Latest eAG=85
Last A1C=5.4
"Dr. Bernstein's plan has worked for me, but do as you feel led."

REDLAN

REDLAN

• 500 plus
  • 872 posts
It's not surprising that the bulking agents raise blood sugar.

Dextrins are a fairly large family and are used as food additives as well as glue. They are composed of short chains of glucose, and are normally made from corn or wheat starch. They are easily broken down by the body into glucose.

Splenda works because it is composed of a small amount of sucralose, which is very sweet, and is bulked out with dextrins. The dextrins raise blood sugar. So although you are using less, you are still eating glucose, so I guess it depends on how much you are using. Am I right in thinking that Splenda used in baking is around half the weight for the same sweetness?

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
It is my understanding that 1 cup of Splenda = 1 Cup of sugar for baking, same for teaspoon 1=1. However, they caution if it is a cake, the structure will not be the same, especially with larger quantities. It may bake differently - appearently the sugar provides structure to the cake.

My BG numbers seem to "hover around 100 to 110. Not bad, but not quiet low enough. If this continues, I may go to meds. I could not find why. I purchased Stevia last time at Sam's Club. Found out later that it was not the "In the Raw" and has dextrin and Maltodextrin. I was thinking that was the problem. I went to the hospital for a day. While there, they attempted to feed me many things telling me what I could eat (but I did not). Later, I had a dicussion with the dietition about these - she (of course) said I could eat mashed potatoes, corn flakes, malt-o-meal, orange juice, some white bread (as the toast they served me) all guidelines of the ADA. When I told her I was also concerned about maltodextrin, dextrose and dextrin - she quickly said "I've seen no studies that changes BG levels." I was beginning to question my strict guidelines. I am glad to hear your comments. I continue to believe you are right. I hope many others will also leave comments to see if most people have problems with this or just a few of us.
My BG used to go down into the mid 80 very smoothly and well, but now it seems almost impossible. There is not a great big spike (125) but also it seems hard to settle down. I guess we all know how that goes. Something is keeping me from reaching my goals - maybe this.
Thanks, Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
You can buy liquid splenda that does not have the bulking agents ... I bought Zsweet powder (stevia and erythritol), and that does not have them either.

I somewhat suspect it in my spikes ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

MrsMia

MrsMia

• 500 plus
  • 1,996 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Linda,

Where can I buy liquid Splenda? I can't seem to find it in any stores. Same with Zsweet powder? I've never heard of that product before.

Mia

Diagnosed Type II in DKA- 4/9/09, A1c - 13.7
Off all diabetic medications as of 3-19-2012
1 baby aspirin daily

Low carb diet
Daily Cod liver oil, organic raw whole foods multivitamin,
folic acid, curcumin, ubiquinol,and 4 mg.astaxanthin
4/09 - A1c - 13.7 :eek: :eek:

Current A1c - 5.5
:)

non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Linda,

Where can I buy liquid Splenda? I can't seem to find it in any stores. Same with Zsweet powder? I've never heard of that product before.

Nope neither in stores I have been in ... buy online.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,619 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Type 2
For liquid splenda sweetzfree.com

Keri

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
Same problem here . . . the bulking agents raise my BG. Truvia powder (stevia and erythritol), DaVinci syrups & plain old saccharine are my standbys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users