- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

mouser

mouser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I posted elsewhere in the forum today that after eating some sugar free candy with sugar alcohols last night, today my blood sugar was 230. I did not take my reading until about 5:00 p.m. and I had not eaten all day (a no-no for diabetics, I know). I was shocked that it could get so high from just the sugar free candy. I still don't entirely understand that spike.

After that, I took my med (500 mg metformin) and ate some eggs and bacon (kept it low carb). About two hours later, I started feeling shaky and broke out in a sweat. I checked my sugar, and it had come down to 103. Normally when I take my med, I don't get any kind of a drop like that. It's very gradual. I didn't exercise, which is something that always brings my blood sugar down. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

My blood sugar has not been that high since around the time I was diagnosed last October, so this was unusual for me. Normally these days it goes from 105 in the morning to maybe a peak of 160 during the day, but usually not even that high anymore. I just don't know what made it go up so very high, and then drop almost 130 points within a couple of hours. I felt really strange and shaky when it happened. It was not pleasant.

I went out with my husband for a little while after I started feeling a little better. I just wanted to get out of the house. I came home and rechecked it. It is now 110, and I feel much better, though pretty anxious over the events of the day.

We have been dealing with a lot of stressful problems lately, so I don't know if this has something to do with it, the big rise in blood sugar. Maybe the stress coupled with the candy and sugar alcohols?

I am still new to this disease and learning every day. Whenever anything out of the ordinary happens, I just don't know what to think. I tend to avoid the doctor as much as possible because I am without insurance right now (part of my stress) and paying a pretty penny for every visit. So, thanks for listening to me and for giving me any feedback.

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 3,099 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Mouser and glad to meet you. Yes stress will cause your bg to spike and not eating can make your liver dump glucose cause it thinks you are starving. I need a sweet once in a while and even though they might be sugar free they still carry carbs. At CVS they carry Jolly Ranchers which are low carb, from 1-4 carbs apiece. They have a Reese's peanut butter cup that are sugar free but high in carb. I bought some sugar free cookies one time thinking it was a good thing, boy what a mistake. They had 38carbs a piece so now I read labels. For folks in your situation I sure hope we get a national health bill but don't hold your breath. Check around for free or low cost clinics in your area or most hospitals have diabetes meetings once a month. Once in awhile weird things happen with our BG but Im pretty sure you will be fine with the numbers you now have. Be well.

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
Hi Mouser,

I am in the same financial situation as you being that I work bujt have no medical insurance with my doctor's visits bil piling up with no end in site. I have done the best thing by both taking my meds and testing regularly but it's expensive and stressful to know that this dreaded illness cost a lot of money to maintain and at times I feel defeated. This forum and Ramon has been a source of inspiration to carry on living and living denial-free by taking baby steps, you on the other hand have the love and support of your husband and hope you realize that some people don't even have that like myself.

I can definetly tell you that not stress raises BG personally but cause a vicious negative chain reaction to the body as whole by raising the BP then the heart and so forth. Keep something in your bag as my grandmother told me, it doesn't have to be a meal but something sweet.

Please use this forum as therapy like I have because I believe that positive energy coupled with the meds are extremely helpful. I hope this finds you well.

Daniel

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts

I posted elsewhere in the forum today that after eating some sugar free candy with sugar alcohols last night, today my blood sugar was 230.

While I cannot speak for others, sugar alcohols are a real problem for me - they spice my numbers. Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I have a real good idea what you are going thru. I just had a quadruple by-pass and did it with out insurance. My wife and I have been with out insurance for quite some time now.

Stress is a major problem in controlling your BG levels. Sugar Alc , well thats YMMV, but not eating is again a big problem for some people with D.

Here is a place that can help you:

Mymedlab.com , you can order your own blood work at a fraction of the cost, plus you do not have to see a docotor.

try to eat something every couple of hours, nuts, slim jim, hard boiled egg. I eat the 70% Lindt choc if I need something sweet, less than 3g of carbs per piece.

Stress I truly believe is what caused all of my problems, do what you can to relieve yours.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts

While I cannot speak for others, sugar alcohols are a real problem for me - they spice my numbers.

They do the same for me and I'm on insulin!

Karen

mouser

mouser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

This forum and Ramon has been a source of inspiration to carry on living and living denial-free by taking baby steps, you on the other hand have the love and support of your husband and hope you realize that some people don't even have that like myself. Daniel

Daniel, you are right. I am very lucky to have my husband's support. He has been very patient with me through all of this, my ups and downs and anxiety.

I am sorry that you are alone. If you ever need to talk, well, I hope I can be here for you. Thank you for your feedback.

Mymedlab.com, you can order your own blood work at a fraction of the cost, plus you do not have to see a docotor.

Thank you so much for this tip! That is great to know. I am due to get my A1C rechecked next month.

I am glad to know that others have had similar experiences. Sometimes it gets scary when you don't know what your own body is doing.

There is a chance that we will be getting some health insurance if my husband gets a new job he just interviewed for. This will be great, but I don't know how it works with pre-existing conditions like mine. I hope that they will cover it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users