- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

lamb curry

lamb curry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
now i'm diabetic i've started to read the food labels when shopping.

So i can plan my meals what is the reccommended daily sugar allowance of diabetics in grams , and what is it for normal people?

Thanks

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

So i can plan my meals what is the reccommended daily sugar allowance of diabetics in grams , and what is it for normal people?

Thanks

It really varies, depending on your meter.

I eat 60 - (on drastic days) 100 g per day. You might find you do better with more, or less.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Look at the carb counts, then eat to your meter, using the results to help you choose the right foods. It's much easier to just deal with that.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Seagal

Seagal

• Seniors
  • 4,862 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Type 2
How about 0 sugar? When you get a meter, test when you eat something with CARBOHYDRATES (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit, grains,). Go online and look at the websites we have posted for you, you know, the ones that tell you what foods to start with, testing your b.g., and how high you should go. It is recommended you not go over 140 (to prevent beta cell burn-out)2 hrs. after a meal.

It has been several weeks since you joined, have you gotten your meter yet?

Keri

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6 (February :)
 )

2014 - 5.9 (September :bawling:
VLC - No Meds

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• Seniors
  • 1,747 posts
I think you said sugar? Did you really mean carbs? Most diabetics don't see sugar as an option, in any significant amount (including myself). You keep flirting with foods you should not be considering in your posts.

Keri and Princesslinda are right. Maybe you should test different foods to see how successful you can be. Maybe for now, you would live better with diabetes if you eliminated sugar intake rather than question how much you can eat.

But if that is what you choose to do, Keri is right, eat the stuff and test to see how it goes. Let us know how your test goes. How high will it take your BS. We are all different. Maybe you are different and can eat sugar at will, but I doubt it. Later, Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Russell A.

Russell A.

• Seniors
  • 618 posts
Title of the tread certainly got my attention! Now I am curious: Carbs or sugars?

Russell
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Lamby...you need to watch your CARBOHYDRATE intake. For me, that means under 20 net carbs per meal most of the time. To calculate net carbs, take the total grams of carbohydrate listed for a food and subtract the fiber; this gives you the usable carbohydrate (the thing that causes your blood sugar to rise).

Each person can tolerate a different net carb load. It depends on your size, your activity level, and your body's ability to produce and use insulin. Which brings me to: You have not answered the many inquiries about whether or not you've gotten a meter and begun testing your blood sugar. Doing this is the only way you will know what foods you can include in your diet, and in what quantities. I think everyone wants to help, but you're not providing much info.

Jen

Alan S

Alan S

Banned

• Banned
  • 251 posts

Thanks

Watch it feller - did you just call me abnormal? :)

As the others have mentioned, it is not sugar you should be concerned about, it is carbohydrates. We treat sugar as just another part of the carbohydrate count, which also include things like starches, fruits, breads, juices, milk and several other food components.

When you read the label ignore the sugar count and just read the carb count.

For pro-active type 2 diabetics like the ones you will find here there is no recommended daily carbohydrate grams level. We are each a little different. Your diabetes is not my diabetes. We each have slightly different insulin resistance, insulin production and other diabetes factors. We also lead different lifestyles, ranging from couch potatoes to athletes. Your needs will be different to mine and also different to others here.

The best advice I can offer is to use your meter to find out your own needs and limits. Please read this, it is a collection of ideas I wrote to help new people do that (click on the coloured text):

I know we've talked earlier. Please get that meter.

Edited by notme, 27 April 2011 - 04:40 PM.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

HelenM

HelenM

• Seniors
  • 1,029 posts
Hi I think that you're looking at the label thats normally prominently displayed on the front of the packet in the UK. As in the first picture
Ignore that one look for the more detailed one (often on the back)

You are looking at the total carbs when counting the carbs in your diet. The 2nd picture below shows a typical one, the amount of carbs shown is 18.8 for each 100 grams and 28.2 for the whole flan. They don't always give as much detail but will always contain the carbs per hundred grams of the food.
Having said that something very high in sugars will raise your blood glucose levels very quickly and will be high in 'empty' calories.
Note a previous poster said to subtract fibre.. do not do this, it is already subtracted in European labels and is listed as a separate item.

Attached Files

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts

Note a previous poster said to subtract fibre.. do not do this, it is already subtracted in European labels and is listed as a separate item.

Sorry Helen...I missed that our little Lamb is not Stateside.

Jen

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
Maybe hearing it a few ways helps. Sugar is a subset of carbohydrates, just like a daisy is a flower or a cat is an animal. So in considering carbs overall as you should, you are considering sugars already. Now, in situations where things are obviously high in sugar, you can almost bet they will spike you very quickly, but nothing is stopping you trying them. You won't know the result until you get a tester, though.

The normal nutritional label will list sugar as a subheading under carbs: you want to consider the whole carb grammage. If something happens to list only "sugar" and no carbohydrates, then consider the sugar.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

dbaratta

dbaratta

• Seniors
  • 1,673 posts

Thanks

Sugar? or you mean sugar in the form of carbs? My daily limit is 45 to 60. I can eat more but that requires a lot more insulin so I don't. for normal people? Let's see, my sister would tell you 1000g, my dad might say 500g, my mom might say 25g. LOL They are all different. For a diabetic, my dietitian told me 45 per meal which is 135g per day. I can't do that much.:T
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users