- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
For most of this year I've tried to figure a way to maintain my sourdough baking & my blood sugar at the same time. Some days I about decided it couldn't be done. :(

But last night I buckled down & worked out this base recipe. It produced a fairly dense loaf with a nutty flavor - nothing like a loaf of San Francisco sourdough, but decent. ("decent" enough that my everlovin' has had a roast beef sandwich with it, while I'm waiting out my testing time . . . ornery old pup)

I tested 109 to start
ate a 1½ oz. hot-outta-the-oven slice slathered with butter
tested 106 at 1 hour
tested 118 at 90 minutes
tested 120 at 2 hours
I'll continue testing for another hour or so, but I think we have a winner folks!

Shanny's Low Carb Sourdough

1½ cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup King Arthur rye flour blend *
1/2 cup bread flour
1/8 cup soy flour
1/8 cup oat flour
1/8 cup flaxseed meal
1/8 cup almond flour
3 - 4 tbsp. harvest grains blend **
1½ tsp. kosher salt
1½ tsp. dry yeast
1½ cups sourdough starter
water as needed

>> Combine first nine ingredients & stir to mix well.
>> Combine salt & yeast with the sourdough starter & blend well.
>> Gently knead in the flour mixture, adding 1/2 to 2/3 cup water to maintain softness of dough.

Let rise about 45-60 minutes until double in bulk.
Do not handle the dough much after the first rise - just shape it & place it in a loaf pan to rise another 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 380° about 50 minutes. (I used a pyrex pan, so this temperature & time may need to be adjusted for a metal pan)

* rye flour blend consists of pumpernickel, white rye, medium rye, and KA bread flour.

** This is another KA concoction of oat berries, wheat flakes, rye flakes, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, millet, flax seeds & poppy seeds.

My sourdough starter is nothing more than unbleached white flour and distilled water. Started many years ago with a packet of Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis, it has been scrupulously maintained for many years to prevent contamination.

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
I just can't seem to quit my sourdough baking...so I give stuff away every week. I recently joked to a friend that when we retire we'll open a little bake shop. I'll do bread and she'll do pies.

On the menu this weekend: Green olive sourdough bread sticks and (probably) sourdough flaxseed baguettes. The breadsticks have a ton of olives and a bit of olive oil in the dough...I can almost eat them without too much insulin.

Happy baking!

Jen

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
I love green olives, Jen . . . got that recipe posted anywhere around here? (which reminds me, I bet Heloise Cruse's olive nut spread is diabetes-friendly! I better hunt up that recipe - I have loved it for 40 years!)

I no more than got the nutritional content calculated for this bread when my flash player went out & I can't seem to get it back despite several delete/reinstalls. But I managed to catch that a 1/4" slice of this bread (30 slices per loaf) is 83 calories, 12g carbs and 1g dietary fiber. That doesn't take into consideration that the buckwheat flour is resistant starch, so the carb affect might be less.

And I had my own roast beef sandwich with it tonight & it was truly delectable! heheh!

HealthierMe

HealthierMe

• Members
  • 144 posts
Anything that says Low Carb and BREAD catches my attention. Thank your for posting and doing all the experimenting! Nothing better than really fresh good bread with butter on top!
Type 2. Living in the 5% club. 1 year since dx.
daily low dose aspirin and carb counting
Goals for 2010 - gain muscle
biking, resistance training, light weights, walking
new fave low carb - George Stella cookbooks, Jude Theriot Low Carb Cajun cookbook, ice cream maker, sf jello, sf LandoLakes whipped cream, SmartCarb sf ice creams, dark baking chocolate, fresh thin asparagus, fresh avocados, butternut squash,cauliflower, baked mahi mahi, natural almonds, truvia, carbmaster yogurt

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
Now having made the Heloise olive nut spread, I've discovered that toasting a thin slice of this bread makes a delightful cracker base for that spread! Yippee!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users