Photo

Hard Candies WITHOUT maltitol, isomalt, etc.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SCAPER

SCAPER

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
So like a lot of people, I am VERY sensitive to candies that have the maltitol in them. Similar reaction to candy with isomalt too, but not quite as severe. Bad enough that I avoid them, though.

So I FINALLY found a hard candy the other day without either of them.

If you go to Walgreens (pharmacy) and go to the candy isle. You'll see a bunch of sugar free candies with a W on the top of them. Most of them have maltitol or isomalt in them. EXCEPT the lemon ones! They are called "lemon discs". Taste great - just like regular hard candy with sugar in it. Except nothing that gives you those horrible side effects in it! Just the lemon ones, unfortunately.

Anyone else found any other hard candies without maltitol or isomalt in them?

Posted Image

dbaratta

dbaratta

• 500 plus
  • 1,673 posts

So like a lot of people, I am VERY sensitive to candies that have the maltitol in them. Similar reaction to candy with isomalt too, but not quite as severe. Bad enough that I avoid them, though.

Posted Image

I stay away from sugar free products because they most often have the same carbs and sometimes more carbs than regular candy. :(
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
So ... what DO they have?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
So it begs the question, what are they made with? Sorbitol? That can commonly have some similar side effects as isomalt etc, unfortunately...

Which doesn't change the fact you've found something that agrees with you. Good for you.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

SCAPER

SCAPER

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
No sorbitol. I don't like that one either.

As near as I can tell from the ingredients, the only sweetner other than Sucralose is this thing called "Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate." The only other ingredients are citric acid and natural flavors and artificial colors. Just 5 ingredients. I am not sure if that starch stuff is a sweetner or just what holds it all together.

Anyway, NO side effects - for me at least. :D

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I always wondered what hydrogenated starch hydrolysate was but never thought about it when I was online and could look it up. I just did that now and it seems to be yet another type of sugar alcohol. All sugar free candies bother me and those with sorbitol are the absolute worst (and also have a very odd texture). I always carry regular hard candies with me and I will sometimes have one when I'm on the bus or out walking. Most have around 5g of carbs and since I only eat one it usually doesn't matter. If my BG is heading low but not yet low I'll have one or two. Takes a long time to eat and is very satisfying!
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users