- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

busywomen

busywomen

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
i have the freestyle meter and one touch mini meters and i tested in the same spot twice today and they were 2 points in the difference the one touch was higher

so my questions are which meter do you use? and why do you like it? also how accurate do you think it is?

thanks in advance

strack350

strack350

• 500 plus
  • 273 posts
I used to use the one touch ultra smart, now I use the one touch ultra mini. It fits me better, easier to carry around. Plus I have the ultra smart as backup now because they use the same strips. Hope my input helped.:)

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
One Touch Ultra 2 - because the lancet does not hurt and requires small sample. When at the hospital, there lancets actually hurt and takes a large drop of sample.
Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,612 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
When it comes to meters and test strips I don't use the word "accuracy", I use the word "ball park". Accuracy is a word best used for things that actually "are" accurate. Glucometers don't fall into that catagory, IMO. I've even gone to the point of doing a blood test on all 10 fingers and getting 10 different readings. Until glucometers become more realistic in their results...I suggest you ask for a free meter that uses the least expensive test strips.

When I was first diagnosed and hospitalized, one night the nurse took my BG reading and it was 441. I told her I didn't feel 441 would she test me again. The next test was 380. That was with a 'high dollar' medical-grade glucometer. Imagine the 'accuracy' that goes into a glucometer that they're willing to give away.

As to which meter do I use? I use an Accu-Chek Compaq Plus for 4 reasons. One, Accu-Chek sent me the meter free. Two, it takes a 17-test-strip drum. Three, medicare pays for the test strips...and four, it uses AAA batteries.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

Rebecca

Rebecca

• 500 plus
  • 188 posts

i have the freestyle meter and one touch mini meters and i tested in the same spot twice today and they were 2 points in the difference the one touch was higher
so my questions are which meter do you use? and why do you like it? also how accurate do you think it is?
thanks in advance

Per FDA any and all meters sold in the USA are required to be +/-20% from the labs.
However NO two finger sticks or tests (even from the same drop of blood) will be the same.
For me to guage accuracy I will do a bg test with the same vial of blood that they are doing a HbA1c off of.. as they also do a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), and if it is more than +/-5 from the lab I don't use the meter.
-Freestyle meters are usually 3-5 points off from the lab.
-Precision Xtra is 5-6 points from the lab, however I do not use it for blood sugars.. only for blood ketones as it is THE ONLY meter that checks blood ketones.. otherwise you have to use ketosticks which you urinate on and get a neg/trace/small/med/or large ketones, and not a number which I like.
-Bayer Contour.. is consistantly 3-4 points from the labs, and this is the meter I use.. purple in colour.
Why I use it.. 1. No coding; 2. Customer service is one of the best in the meter market.
Type 1 since Feb, 1978....DX'd @ 3 years old
Cozmo Pump
Last HbA1c: 5.9 (02/02/2012)

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,864 posts
It's not just the meters, batches of strips vary as well. If you look at lab evaluations of meters they seem to test three batches of strips per meter and invariably one of those batches is markedly different from the other two.

imac

imac

• 500 plus
  • 239 posts
I use whatever meter that they are giving away for free and never try to compare meters or you will go crazy. Use one meter and believe what it says.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

zoelula

zoelula

• 500 plus
  • 541 posts
I absolutely agree with imac. Trusting the meter and not comparing is a way to stay sane. Having said that I use an Accucheck Aviva and find it is quite consistent. Not cheap for strips though if you don't have insurance coverage.
July 09: Back in the Motherland! Now eating as a vegetarian-eating-disordered- diabetic-foodie becomes an adventure in creativity not an exercise in futility!

A1C - 12/10 - 6.4
11/09-6.5
5/09-7.2
Animas Ping since 1/11

plattb1

plattb1

• 500 plus
  • 2,071 posts
I have been using the One Touch Ultra2 for a long time. Some experience with others, but that has been my main meter - with the One Touch Mini at work. But, I tried to get a USB cable from Lifescan to download my data & while they agreed, they never sent it.

So, I'm giving the Wavesense Keynote a try with the Zero Click software. The test strip prices are lower than Lifescan's, too, although I think my insurance co-pay will be the same.

Oh, the lancet needle is finer than One Touch & it uses a smaller sample.

Can't say much about accuracy yet. Just in the first two weeks of trying the Keynote. But, I'm happy to update if anyone is interested later on.
Barrie

Dx T2 Sept 1999
Latest A1c 6.1 (April 2010)
Metformin 2000 mg daily
Lantus 20 units daily
Ramipril 10 mg daily
Multivitamin, B-12, D-3,
R-ALA/biotin, Omega-3 (chia oil)

Amy1.5

Amy1.5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I was using a true result meter I bought out of pocket. Then I found out my INS only covered the freestyle lite. The numbers between the two meters (my own experiment) are often over 30 points off which is drastically unacceptable. I am waiting for some ultra mini strips to add that to the comparison. I find it disconcerting & troubling that often -especially with my fasting glucose - same finger prick & sometimes the same drop of blood they are over 40 points different. Insight welcome, Amy 1.5

vol1

vol1

• 500 plus
  • 119 posts
Can the One Touch Ultra 2 and One Touch Ultra Mini use same strips?

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Can the One Touch Ultra 2 and One Touch Ultra Mini use same strips?

All of the One Touch Ultra series meters use the same strips. The original Ultra, Ultra2, UltraSmart, UltraMini, UltraLink (for Minimed pump users) and the Ping (for Animas pump users). This is why I like my Lifescan meters. I can use my UltraLink during the day, my UltraSmart at night, an UltraMini if I'm running out for a short time and want something small. I only need one kind of strip to use all meters. It also makes it easier to have multiple meters that you can leave in various places.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

vol1

vol1

• 500 plus
  • 119 posts

All of the One Touch Ultra series meters use the same strips. The original Ultra, Ultra2, UltraSmart, UltraMini, UltraLink (for Minimed pump users) and the Ping (for Animas pump users). This is why I like my Lifescan meters. I can use my UltraLink during the day, my UltraSmart at night, an UltraMini if I'm running out for a short time and want something small. I only need one kind of strip to use all meters. It also makes it easier to have multiple meters that you can leave in various places.

Thanks for this information. :)

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
I used to mainly use accu-cheks, but I find that Freestyle lite appears a bit more consistent in my experience. They are easy and convenient, too, these issues rate highly for me once a tester is about as accurate as I would expect (which is not all that accurate, given current guidelines).
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I am a relion man, Wally World, cheap, almost free meter, and 100 strips are $40. When it all comes out of pocket you make choices, some you don't like others you do. I trust my meter though, it is accurate as far as I can tell.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

kiva

kiva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I use the one One Touch Ultra system. The strips control range is 97-130 mg/dl. This represents an average of 114 mg/dl, +/-15% within the strips. My assumption is that the precision of the meter itself rather tight and that variations comes from the strip themselves disallowing any user errors or contamination.

It's what we have at the moment and certainly beats the yesteryears of testape and pee sticks.

momof2gr8kidz+1

momof2gr8kidz+1

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I have almost all the one touch ultra brands and have used them all. but I own 7 different colored Ultramini's and love them all. I have tested 4 side by side and they have only been 3 points off +/- I use all 7 because I keep one in each car, one in purse, one in kitchen, one in bedroom one in swim bag, and an extra just incase. plus they have all been free!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dan Gato

Dan Gato

• 500 plus
  • 458 posts
For me, I would say. Accucheck Aviva.
Has any of you have had a meter. let's say for more than 10 years?
Latest A1C
Aprl '10...5.8
Feb '09 ..5.4
Aug '08...5.2
Feb '08...5.5
Dec '07...5.2

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
I used the Accu check active for 10 years or more. The reason I finally changed was that the new testers needed much less blood. It had a brilliant wet-suit skin for a case, that was perfectly ergonomically suited to testing very quickly.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Has any of you have had a meter. let's say for more than 10 years?

I used my Lifescan One Touch Profile for about 8 years. The only reason I switched is because the pharmacy gave me the One Touch Ultra strips by mistake one time and I didn't realize it for awhile, until I used my previous batch. I then opened a box without thinking and discovered they were the wrong strips. I called Lifescan and they sent me an Ultra meter. I then decided I wanted the UltraSmart and got that and I've continued to use meters in the Ultra series ever since. My UltraSmart is closing in on 6 years old and while it's no longer my main meter (I use the UltraLinks mostly now) I still use it at night.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users