- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

FCSDiva

FCSDiva

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi! I know this sounds like a crazy thread, but I'm going to put this out there to all of you in hopes that someone else may have experienced this too..

I survived the first week on metformin. It was TOUGH as I had non stop nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, but I got through it and all my GI symptoms have disappeared. But now, I am experiencing EXTREME itching. I don't have hives, but the itching is 24/7 and it is intense. It is not just the dry skin of winter either. This is the kind of itching that causes you to scratch until you bleed....

I decided not to take my metfomin last night and I didn't take my morning dose and the itching has subsided greatly. I am allergic to many other medications, but they cause me to break out into red itchy hives. I don't have hives, just miserable all over my body itching!!!

Has anyone else experienced this??
FCS Diva

DX 1/13/10
Humalog 3-5 units at mealtime
Glipizide 5mg BID
Vasotec 5mg at bedtime
Zocor 20 mg at bedtime
25 units of Lantus at bedtime

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I've never experienced the itching with metformin. Have you contacted your physician about this?

Is metformin the only thing that has changed in your routine since the itching started? Are you still using the same detergent, soap, shampoo, dryer sheets, etc? Is the itching all over or confined to a specific area?

Have you tried an OTC med such as Benadryl, Claritin or such to see if this will break the itch cycle?

Are you keeping your skin well-moisturized?

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

FCSDiva

FCSDiva

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I have used nothing different since I have been on the metformin. All lotions, soaps, etc. are all the same. The only thing new in my life is the metformin.

I can't take Benedryl as it knocks me out for hours. I didn't think of the Claritin, but that is worth a try!!!

As for keeping my skin moisturized, I use a moisturizing shower gel and baby oil gel as soon as I get out of the shower. Dry skin is not the problem.

This is the type of itching that makes you want scratch your skin off. This is oh my gosh, if I don't scratch, I'm going to rip someone's head off itching.
FCS Diva

DX 1/13/10
Glipizide 5mg BID
Vasotec 5mg at bedtime
Zocor 20 mg at bedtime

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I'd put a call in to your doc before they leave for the weekend. If you're having this much problem with the metformin, you may not be able to tolerate it.

If you don't hear from your doc today, i'd suggest stopping the metformin until you can talk to the nurse on Monday. Keep an eye on your blood sugars, though the stress from the itching may drive them high. When I had shingles, my blood sugars were through the roof from the itching and pain regardless of what I ate. Bless your heart! Hope you get some relief soon!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Marshmallow W

Marshmallow W

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Talk to your doctor! Anytime I have a medication that causes itching, I know there is a possibilty of allergy to that medication. I've had some meds actually cause me to break out in hives.

OTOH, I was born with very dry skin, and the past couple of years before being diagnosed with diabetes, I have had itching that caused me to take Benadryl for relief. Then I read that diabetes can cause itchy skin. :eek: If the itching is not related to the meds, there are creams such as Lactic Acid and Eucerin that can help. But I'm not a doctor so I would advise you to talk it over with your physician.
It's a marshmallow world in the winter...

ShellyB

ShellyB

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Did you start any other medication by chance? My husband suffered from this from one of his blood pressure medications. When we switched places we got them filled, they used a different generic and he was itching so bad, it drove me nuts. They said that all suppliers use different additives and there was no way they could pin point what it was that was making him itch. They ordered the medicine he had before from a different generic maker than they carry and he is fine.

So the same medicine from different makers all have different additives so you have to be so careful.

By the way I caught this only because he still had some pills left from the previous prescription and I could tell they looked different thus the different providers.

Hope that makes sense.
5 Year Stroke Survivor
Dx Jan 2010
Rantidine 150mg 2xday (Acid Reflex)
Lyrica 75mg 2xday (so I'm not so demanding :o & pain)
Lisinopril/HCTZ 10-12.5 tab (hypertension)
Metformin 500mg 2xday (insulin resistance& Type II)
81mg Low Dose Aspirin

FCSDiva

FCSDiva

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm not taking any other new medications other than the metformin. I have a call into my doctor, but I'm not sure if she will get back to me as I called after 3:00 p.m. I think I am going to hold off on taking any more metformin this weekend and see how it goes. I'll just have to plan my meals VERY carefully this weekend.
FCS Diva

DX 1/13/10
Glipizide 5mg BID
Vasotec 5mg at bedtime
Zocor 20 mg at bedtime

jtausch

jtausch

• 500 plus
  • 468 posts
webmd drug info area says itching is a possible side effect. talk to your doctor. It could also be the inert ingredients causing your problems
Diagnosed: DEC-08-08: FBS 304 :A1c 12.2:mad:
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel 12-04-2012
Bayer contour next easy link
NEWEST: A1c 6.0 FBS 97 02/12/13:)
Plavix 75 mg;Aspirin 325 mg;Coreg 2.5 mg
Lisinopril 5.0 mg;Lipitor 20 mg

:)

agi

agi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello! My name is agi a diabetic for 8 years.Pumped with all med by my doctors, finally decided to end the self poisoning and took all matter in my own hands!!!!!!!!!!!
YES, I WAS ITCHING LIKE **** FROOM METFORMIN....... LOST WAIT, MEAT MUSCLE FROM ALL OVER FROM MY BODY. THAN ON THE 1ST OF THIS MONTH IFIRED MY DOCTOR AND INSURANCE COMPANY ANTHEM BLUE CROSS. AND GUESS WHAT? MY SUGER IS BETTER WITHOUT LANTUS, HUMALOG METFORMIN ... I LOOK GREAT FEEL GREAT AND TAKING NO MEDS ALIAS POISONS INTO MY BODY!!!!!!!!!!!
FOLKS, LEARD ONE THING: DIABETIS STARTS WITH THE FOOD WE EAT, WHAT WE DRINK.CHECK THE CONNECTION BETWEEN FOOD-DROG-MEDICAL-INSURANCE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!
THEY ARE ALL CONNECTED, TO MAKE IT SHURE, IF YOU EAT CERTAIN MEET, PROCESSED FOOD,IT IS MADE WITH PRESERVATIVES,CAUSING OUR BODY TO MELT DOWN,OILS FROM MINERAL OIL!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS CAOLA OIL IS MADE OF? CORN OIL! CORN CANNOT BE PRESSED TO GIVE OIL!!!!!!!!! READ THE LABELS.UNFORTUNATELLY I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW, BUT BE BACK TO GIVE MORE OF THIS to those who are interested later today. Just one more thing: I walk now 2 miles with 3,5 speed at 6.30 am. I 'm a new person WITHOUT DRUGS!

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
who are you? please let us know more about your cure...

Daniel

MsMee

MsMee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello! My name is agi a diabetic for 8 years.Pumped with all med by my doctors, finally decided to end the self poisoning and took all matter in my own hands!!!!!!!!!!!
YES, I WAS ITCHING LIKE **** FROOM METFORMIN....... LOST WAIT, MEAT MUSCLE FROM ALL OVER FROM MY BODY. THAN ON THE 1ST OF THIS MONTH IFIRED MY DOCTOR AND INSURANCE COMPANY ANTHEM BLUE CROSS. AND GUESS WHAT? MY SUGER IS BETTER WITHOUT LANTUS, HUMALOG METFORMIN ... I LOOK GREAT FEEL GREAT AND TAKING NO MEDS ALIAS POISONS INTO MY BODY!!!!!!!!!!!
FOLKS, LEARD ONE THING: DIABETIS STARTS WITH THE FOOD WE EAT, WHAT WE DRINK.CHECK THE CONNECTION BETWEEN FOOD-DROG-MEDICAL-INSURANCE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!
THEY ARE ALL CONNECTED, TO MAKE IT SHURE, IF YOU EAT CERTAIN MEET, PROCESSED FOOD,IT IS MADE WITH PRESERVATIVES,CAUSING OUR BODY TO MELT DOWN,OILS FROM MINERAL OIL!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS CAOLA OIL IS MADE OF? CORN OIL! CORN CANNOT BE PRESSED TO GIVE OIL!!!!!!!!! READ THE LABELS.UNFORTUNATELLY I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW, BUT BE BACK TO GIVE MORE OF THIS to those who are interested later today. Just one more thing: I walk now 2 miles with 3,5 speed at 6.30 am. I 'm a new person WITHOUT DRUGS!

Hello Everyone, I have been reading the boards for some time now, and felt compelled to post to this particular message.

I have stopped taking "drugs" to combat Type II Diabetes as well. I had a very bad reaction to Glipizide/Metformin where I broke out from head to bottom of foot - with hives and itching.

I then realized that all I had was a condition that had to do with the food that I ate. Did I really want to risk kidney disease, heart attack (from Glipizide), vision loss... when all I had to do was change how I ate?

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes in December, my "perfect vision" went bad. My hobby is reading, so I had to get reading glasses to read. I had a headache daily and nausea at night.

The very next day after I stopped taking "pills" I regained my perfect vision. I no longer need glasses, I have no more headaches and I am no longer nauseated. Sometimes, it's "the medicine" that causes one to feel badly. The body is designed to heal itself.... with the proper care.

So like the poster, I am a new person "drug free" of those pills which only helped the doctors, pharmaceutical company and insurance company. All I had to do was change what foods I put in my body and that's that.

Again... I will not risk other ailments, when all I have to do is change the food I eat. No pills are necessary. I have never been on medication and don't plan on starting. Other problems that had started, went away, when I left the pills alone.

MsMee

MsMee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Also, my blood sugar as been 91, 105, 110, 113 - which is now the average. And I have not taken metformin and glipizide since the 2nd week in January.

My body rejected the medication. Why? Because it was not something I needed medication to fix. I could fix it on my own - which is what I'm doing now. Baked instead of fried foods; diet drinks instead of regular, fruits and veggies instead of cookies and potato chips. It's that simple.

I have 4 refills for each medicine, so I was to put all those drugs in my body? Just because of the food I ate? When all I had to do was control my eating?

Who's fooling who?

It feels great to not have all those drugs in my body. I have more energy, keep track of my blood sugar, and use common sense. Why add to the problem, with the pills?

When a person develops an ailment, it is not always necessary to treat it with "pills." A change of habit or a change of ways can produce an even better result. I will not risk those "side effects" especially knowing I don't have to.

Bad eyes means more patients for an eye doctor. Bad kidneys means visits to another doctor. Headaches means visits to a doctor. Nausea means taking something on top of the pills.

I was prescribed glasses before I bought the reading glasses by an eye doctor (more money for the doctor), when I don't even need them. I can read every line on the eye chart - now that I've stopped taking that medicine. Which was how I was before I started with the medicine.

Why should I do all that, when I can simply make the change myself? Just because someone told me to swallow pills, did not mean that I had to. My diabetes is under control. How? Because I did it myself.

FCSDiva

FCSDiva

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I was off the metformin for 3 days and the itching went away. I started taking it again yesterday and so far, so good. The itching didn't start for me until day 7 so I've got 5 more days to go to see if I start itching again.

I consider this a "science experiment". :)
FCS Diva

DX 1/13/10
Glipizide 5mg BID
Vasotec 5mg at bedtime
Zocor 20 mg at bedtime

Charmaine

Charmaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi! I know this sounds like a crazy thread, but I'm going to put this out there to all of you in hopes that someone else may have experienced this too..

Yes, I have experienced this awful itching and still am!
I survived the first week on metformin. It was TOUGH as I had non stop nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, but I got through it and all my GI symptoms have disappeared. But now, I am experiencing EXTREME itching. I don't have hives, but the itching is 24/7 and it is intense. It is not just the dry skin of winter either. This is the kind of itching that causes you to scratch until you bleed.... It also causes me to have hives and dry blisters which itch like mad. No, it is not winter skin dryness, It is August where I live. I do use lots many skin lotions to help me alleviate this crazy situation.

I decided not to take my metfomin last night and I didn't take my morning dose and the itching has subsided greatly. I am allergic to many other medications, but they cause me to break out into red itchy hives. I don't have hives, just miserable all over my body itching!!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

I have I take Metforming+Glipizide. Two weeks after taking Glipizide 5 mg my blood sugar went down and it was pretty normal. I was taking it twice daily, then my new family practitioner added Metforming 5 mg for night. I was doing fine with just Glipizide, why did he add this one? After taking the Metforming, intense itching set in. I complained to doctor, he did not change it. The itching is so intense, I have sores from scratching in addition to feeling confused. I do not have a tranquil, peaceful sleep, just fitful sleeping in between itching, LOTS of COLD sweats. My hair and scalp gets drenched in perspiration. I became very hot then cold..It is an insane and painful situation. Help, someone? I have decided to see another doctor and stopped taking the Metforming.
I live in Jacksonville, N.C.

Charmaine

Charmaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, you have described it fully! I use moisturizers, benadryl, which helps some. Last night I scratched myself hard enough to start bleeding. Why? It hurt so much it made me forget about the itching. I mention this to my doctor and he doesnot say a word about this intense itching. I have discovered that the area where the Intense itch is there is a little lump; if I gently scratch it, a dry blister appears and upon scratching the blister off to find out if there is something inside, it is totally DRY, but there is a pinpoint type scar and it is red looking, if I scratch that a tiny little bit of blood comes out without oozing out.

Can someone tell me what this is? Has anyone experienced the dry itchy blisters?

Guest_jeanmc_*

Guest_jeanmc_*
  • Guests
The itching with blisters is a sign of a severe allergy to the Metformin. Stop taking it.

hetalvnp

hetalvnp

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i love your way of handling diabetes. even i hate metforming and gluburied. i had diabetes for only 1 month. but now my blood suger is under and control and wish to leave medicine. so far few experiment has helped me lot. one day i got reading of 124 in morning. i took one spoon of dried bitter melon power and eat one grapefruit and walked 2 miles. even took regular diabetic lunch. in the morning i was worried about increased suger level but when in evening i measured it was 81.

Mound31

Mound31

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Now intense itching is the bodies warning for impending disaster (anaphylaxis). An allergy rarely becomes better but most always gets worse. As for people that view all meds as poison and they don't tend to their high b.s. (or can't with diet and exercise alone) should use insulin Human. Insulin is the same hormone whether it is made by the body or injected (human insulin). It just takes work and time to accomplish that. Nothing in life worth accomplishing is easy. I have an elderly friend (in her 80's) who is a type 2 and her b.s. runs in the upper 200's most of the time had a bad reaction to all oral diabetes meds so she is on Lantus 12 U at night. Her b.s. are still in that range and her Doc raised the Lantus from 10-12 after 3 weeks. She will die waiting for the doc to treat her, You gotta take charge yourself and decide what course to take. They also tell her she has to eat at least 60 grams of carb a meal-what a crock!

mimmie2010

mimmie2010

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
I don't have any issues with itching while taking the met. I do have some hives every now and then, but after 7 months I am still waiting for the headaches and diarreah to go away. 1000x2 daily. Does it ever stop? I really don't know how much longer I can keep going. I have acute gastroenteritis and a hietal hernia. Maybe those problems are making it last longer? Any one on longer and still having problems. Sorry for the hijack thread. ;\

newcster68

newcster68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
New to the forum because I also am taking Metformin 1000x2 and recently over the past week I have been having the itching bouts. I am currently itching right now over parts of my chest, arms, and legs. That is why I decided to do some research on the web and walla ... it led me here. Now I know I'm not going crazy...

I really cannot go off of the med because my bs does go up very high. I just got out of a 10 day hospital visit because I didn't take care of my diabetes which almost caused my Liver to fail and I got a mild (what the doctors called mild to me was severe) case of Panceatitis.

If the itching doesnt stop soon I may ask to go on the insulin shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users