9 replies to this topic

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have been using Valerian Root for sleep and it has been working very well. I have also told several people on this site that I am using it and checked with my doctor about using it nightly in combination with melatonin. My doctor said it was fine. According to a news report last night, it seems valerian root taken on a regular basis, is NOT fine.

The news report last night stated that valerian root, taken on a regular basis, can cause liver damage. I have done some research online and it seems that this claim could be true. The thing that really concerns me is I have had extremely low vitamin D for about six months. I am now taking 3,000 iu per day because it seems my tests show my vitamin d levels are not improving at all on 2,000 iu per day. I am wondering if my liver function is causing this problem. I have also been suffering from extreme dry eye. I ran out of valerian root about a week ago and have been taking only melatonin. The dry eye problem has subsided. I am not sure if the valerian root is the cause or not, but it is an interesting observation. Valerian root is also known to cause dry mouth. Dry eye as well???

Please research Valerian Root carefully before you decide to take it. I have decided to ditch it and hopefully my vitamin D levels will improve and the symptoms of low vitamin D levels will improve. I am also hoping that the dry eye will go away.

USE EXTREME care if you decide to use valerian root on a regular basis.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrammaBear

GrammaBear

• 500 plus
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
Thank you for your post. I just purchased some Valerian Root and was hoping that it would be my solution for insomnia. Maybe I better wait for awhile.

Type 1 - Dx April 2003

Medtronic Revel pump - August 2010
Dexcom Gen4 - Sep 2007

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Oh Lord, back to the Ambien?:confused:

Azile

Azile

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Anything you take, be it natural or not, can cause harm to the body - including vitamins.

Everything in moderation I say.......

:elefant: Him - 35
:stupid1: Me - 33 - My BFF is my Animas 2020 Pump!
:girl: DD - 8
:tongue: DS - 3
:egg: Splodge - due 10 August 2010

Posted Image

RobertIA

RobertIA

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts
notme,

If you are interested in Vit D you may want to read some of the articles by David Mendosa about vitamin D. If you haven't already read it, go to Diabetes - The Big Ds -- Diabetes, Depression, and the D Vitamin and see if this does not answer some questions.

Bob
DX 10/03, T2, Lantus & Novalog
Natural beauty is always the best, in nature and in women
Web site: http://bobsdiabetes.blogspot.com/
Web site: http://diabetestopics.blogspot.com/

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I had read the same about Valerian Root.

But there is also many others that will help with sleep, wife has tried them all.

Kava
Inositol
L-theanine
Gaba
Melatonin
Passion Flower
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks MCS, I actually was using Valerian root with melatonin for sleep problems. I really didn't want to take Ambien as it makes me very nauseated. I thought this combo was my answer to taking prescription drugs. The one thing I can say is I have been off Valerian root for two days and my dry eye issue is SOLVED. I am shocked.

I am now going to ask my doctor about moving up a blood test for Vitamin D to one month from now. If the vitamin D issue is related to liver problems then hopefully this will help solve the mystery as to why I am so deficient. I don't need vitamin D toxicity now.

I am sorry if you purchased Valerian root from something I posted here. It was working for me and I got the go ahead from my PCP. :o

I will read the article posted above. Thank you.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,456 posts

I am sorry if you purchased Valerian root from something I posted here. It was working for me and I got the go ahead from my PCP. :o

I will read the article posted above. Thank you.

No worries, do you know how much I procrastinate? :D

Thank you for the heads up.

Even if something is a natural element, it doesn't always mean it is safe.

Alot of synthetic drugs, have some form of natural derivatives in them as well, or used as the base for synthetic drugs, so you always have to be careful taking something that is "natural".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
One other thing I forgot to add is

Hydroxyzine, a very old medication used for allergys, but makes you very sleepy.

Kava
Inositol
L-theanine
Gaba
Melatonin
Passion Flower
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

Larry H.

Larry H.

• 500 plus
  • 789 posts
Gee, I have been taking for many years the same combination. I wonder if this will turn out like all the other studies that one year tell you something is harmful and about two years later they are saying how great its turned out to be? I get a liver enzyme test now and then and its always been ok so far?

Today I hear that aspirin now is bad for your stomach, which has always been known, but recently they were touting it for preventing colon cancer among other things?

I did like the study now that says Bitter Melon may stop cancer in its tracks, also said to help diabetics.

I remember when nearly all vitamin supplements were called useless. Not too long ago they started suggesting you take your D to help prevent cancer.

But maybe I will look around for another sleep aid?

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users