• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new here but have recently become serious about controlling my diabetes.

My injections don't seem to have the effect they used too. This morning when I checked before eating anything I was at 356.

Over the last week or so I just can't seem to get it below 350 or so. I checked yesterday 2 hours after eating lunch and I was just below 500, I think it was 496.

I take 60 units in the morning of humulin and 45 just before dinner.

Could I have done something that has made my Humulin less effective than what it used to be??

I thank you in advance and figure on being an active member here!

Thank You!
Mm

OlgaA

OlgaA

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts
I'd contacted doctor immediately with those high BG numbers!
Dx Feb 1, 2010
A1C - 12.6, FBG - 324
2/1/2010 weight - 170 lb
October 1, 2010:
AC1 - 6.0, FBG - 115
weight - 145 lb
low carb diet, exercise, supplements
no meds

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts
I agree about contacting your doctor.

What are you eating?

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
First, are you a pumper? Is your pump blocked, or is the infusion site not working? If not a pumper, do you use a basal insulin? Have you tried changing out the vial/pen? If you're not using basal insulin, it looks like it's time to add some.

Second, I would highly recommend against eating, especially carbs, if you are running so high. You really should bring yourself down into a lower range; If you start high before a meal you have nowhere to go but up. At the levels you're reporting you are in all likelihood experiencin significant insulin resistance. This means you'll need more insulin than usual to correct for the high. Make sure you dring plenty of water - NOT sugary drinks.

Third, I agree. Call your doctor. You may need some medical intervention to re-balance your BG.

Hope you're feeling OK. Let us know how you do.

Jen

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,683 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Your readings are are a direct result of what you eat and how much insulin you take. If you are eating too many carbs, then you would need to take more insulin.

Also, it's possible that the insulin is bad. Maybe it was left out too long, or it's past it's expiration date, and is no longer effective. Try using a different batch and see what happens.

To give us some idea of your carb intake, what foods are you eating? What did you have for breakfast?....Lunch?

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I'll give you a little more history about why I'm so high. I have financial problems and have a hard time buying the necessary testing supplies and the insulin.

I'm on Medicare and when they reach their paying limit you are out of pocket for the rest of the year. I met my limit at the end of last October and after that I was only taking my insulin, by injection, in the morning instead of twice a day to try to make it last longer.

At the beginning of the year I picked up my normal amount and started using it as I had in the past but my numbers are not coming down. I take my injections twice a day but they don't budge. Actually the last couple of days I've been taking it three times a day to try to get it down.

Before I ran out in October my Insulin injections were keeping it between 120 and 150 pretty regular like. Now I can't get it below 350 even if I don't eat anything.

I can't test like I'm supposed to because I can't afford the test strips and taking more injections than normal is going to make me run out of syringes and I don't have money for more.

I don't have the energy to punch myself out of a wet paper bag so everything seems to require a ton of effort but I'm trying to deal with this as I'm starting to get scared of what I"m doing to my Kidneys and my liver.

I feel like I'm just rambling now so I'll just ask, do you know of a place where I can get reduced cost supplies and what about foods that lower sugar levels naturally?

I had diabetes for a couple of years but really just now I'm getting serious about getting this under control.

Thanks again!
Mm

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
depending on your state. and are you type 2? i am guessing?
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts

I feel like I'm just rambling now so I'll just ask, do you know of a place where I can get reduced cost supplies
Mm

Walfart has lower cost strips called reli-on and have you looked into ordering your insulin from canada- i have heard it is cheaper to do that.

If you drink alot of diet drinks you may want to slow those down as that can cause insulin resistence. I had to do that. My endo says I take more insulin than anyone he has seen or heard of, 2ml a day of u-500, pumped and mdi for bolus. Also, I didn't see if you are m/f but if you are mail you may want to look into your T levels and also for both sexes your Vit D levels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Your lack of energy is probably directly tied to your out-of-control blood sugar.

What are you eating? If you are including lots of starchy carbs in your meals (pasta, bread, chips, breakfast cereal, crackers, potatoes, large quantities of beans), you will have to reduce or eliminate them. Use leafy greens and other salad vegetables; limit your fruit intake; limit or eliminate dried fruits. Watch out for carbs in milk and other dairy products (except cheese). No fruit juice - eat the real thing instead. Increase the amount of protein and fat you are eating.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but your situation is serious. Your inability to obtain insulin can be life threatening. You will have to find the energy to make some calls. Call social services in your area and find out if there are any programs that will help finance the amount of insulin that you need. Or call the drug manufacturers and see if they can help. Call a local university Endocrinology department and see if they know of patient assistance programs.

My heart goes out to you. It is horrible that anyone in our country should face such difficulty in obtaining the medicine they need.

Jen

scarybunnie

scarybunnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If you drink alot of diet drinks you may want to slow those down as that can cause insulin resistence.

I had no idea that diet drinks could do that. I usually have one can a day. Do you have any more information on this?

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts
My endo was the one who told me about it. I was at 6-8 a day so I think 1 a day isn't on the radar for it. Try these two links- One a thread here and the other on health central.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts
I buy 70/30 from Walmart. It has a fast acting and a long acting insulin combined, and it works well for me. It can be bought over the counter and is about $30.00.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I buy 70/30 from Walmart. It has a fast acting and a long acting insulin combined, and it works well for me. It can be bought over the counter and is about $30.00.

Anyway, good luck to you.

The Humulin 70/30 is what I take. How much do you get for $30?

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

My endo was the one who told me about it. I was at 6-8 a day so I think 1 a day isn't on the radar for it. Try these two links- One a thread here and the other on health central.

I used to drink 2 or 3 diet 7-up or Fresca a day but for the last couple of months its only been water. I found you can buy a gallon of drinking water at Albertsons for .88 cents. I drink about 1/2 gallon a day.

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Walfart has lower cost strips called reli-on and have you looked into ordering your insulin from canada- i have heard it is cheaper to do that.

If you drink alot of diet drinks you may want to slow those down as that can cause insulin resistence. I had to do that. My endo says I take more insulin than anyone he has seen or heard of, 2ml a day of u-500, pumped and mdi for bolus. Also, I didn't see if you are m/f but if you are mail you may want to look into your T levels and also for both sexes your Vit D levels.

I'll have to try Walfart out. They are usually the last place I go to only going at a last resort to save money.

Portland Oregon? We might be neighbors? I'll do some searching online to see if anything Canada comes up. Had not thought of that.
Thanks very much!

Mm

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I thank everyone for your time to reply to this thread. My Doctor was out today but I will call him tomorrow and see what he suggest I do.

I really need to relearn how to cook and eat. I have basically no clue what taste good that I can have and hopefully my family can stand to eat as well.

Thanks everyone very much!

Mm

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts

The Humulin 70/30 is what I take. How much do you get for $30?

I get 1 vial of insulin. I have insurance, but i don't think it would help. If it weren't for Wal-Mart I would be up the creek. I get so many pills each month and they are so much less expensive than other places. You can ask for the 70/30 and they just hand it to you. You don't need to get it filled (at least where I live). I am curious, how much do you pay?

Mmfh

Mmfh

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I usually get 3 vials at a time, that last me about 3 weeks. My co-pay with Medicare is about $45.

Not huge money but if you don't have it you just don't have it. :(

Mm

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts

I usually get 3 vials at a time, that last me about 3 weeks. My co-pay with Medicare is about $45.

Not huge money but if you don't have it you just don't have it. :(

Mm

3 vials last 3 week? you sure you dont have some resistance to iinsulin?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day

Vicki NC

Vicki NC

• 500 plus
  • 229 posts

do you know of a place where I can get reduced cost supplies and what about foods that lower sugar levels naturally?
Thanks again!
Mm

Here is a site you can use to determine if you can qualify for any assistance.

NeedyMeds

Local free clinics can sometimes help, as well.

I hope something happens in our country soon to prevent folks from having to do without life saving meds. Good luck to you Mm.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

T2, 1/09
Low Carb <30
Met 500 1 daily
Vit D3 gels 2800 iu
Mag 400mg
B-12 sublgl 5000mcg
Multi Vit
R-ALA/Bio 100mg/1000mcg
CoQ10 200mg

FBG 1/09 = 148
4/09 = 96-101