- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

crabtree.perry

crabtree.perry

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
(PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSMENT)

After I was diagnosed with Type 2 I began researching nutrition that was beneficial. One thing I noticed was that caffiene in monitored doses was beneficial. So I began drinking two to three 8oz cups of coffee every other day to every third day. The issue I have with this is that I cant stand the taste of black coffee, and while I like hot Earl Grey Tea the time to boil water and wait for the tea to absorb in the water can sometimes be time consuming. (esp. on a busy day) So a couple of days ago I was researching the pros of Vitiman B-Super Complex. The publishings that I found regarding the benefits of this Vitamin all seemed to be great. So using the monster known as Google I looked up the price for this vitamin and happened to run across a product called "5 hour Energy Drink". I then researched the product, and of course I found pros and cons. I decided to go ahead and give it a try. So far I am drinking 2 bottles a day (its been three days with NO ill side effects), and I can feel the energy that it gives. I also closely monitored my BG to see if it impacted it. It didn't have a negative impact on my BG. So what I would like to get for this thread is input from other people. People who have tried this product, whether for a long period or short period of time, and the pros OR cons that they have experienced. Please include the side effects if you experienced either pros or cons so that I and others can make a more informed decision. Thank you everybody for the information.
A1c
November 13th, 2009- 18.9
February 5th, 2010- 9.4
May 13th, 2010- 6.7

Meds
Metformin- 3000mg
Glimepiride- 8mg
Actos- 30mg
Precose- 100mg

Vitamins
Calcium
Fish Oil
Potassium
Probiotics
Vitamin A
Vitamin B Super Complex
Vitamin C
Vitmamin D
Vitamin E
I will post the quantities later

One Touch UltraSmart

jtausch

jtausch

• 500 plus
  • 468 posts
check your bs closly yho caffine may not affect you because you checked, but check out this article on caffine.

Caffeine May Affect Blood Glucose Levels
Diagnosed: DEC-08-08: FBS 304 :A1c 12.2:mad:
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel 12-04-2012
Bayer contour next easy link
NEWEST: A1c 6.0 FBS 97 02/12/13:)
Plavix 75 mg;Aspirin 325 mg;Coreg 2.5 mg
Lisinopril 5.0 mg;Lipitor 20 mg

:)

Dr Rainbow

Dr Rainbow

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I've cut out caffine because my blood pressure was going through the roof after coffees. It was hiting 190 /100 after coffee, without coffee I had a 24 test and this averaged 140/80. Remember high BP can be dangerous for everyone but especially diabetics. I recomend checking your BP after these drinks.
diagnosed type 2 3/2/2010
2 x 500 mg metformin
Inegy (Simvastatin and Ezetimbe 40+10mg)
Asprin 75mg
3.5 miles walk every 2 days
'sensible diet'

My on screen name is an anagram of real name.

feretmom

feretmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've recently tried this product myself and find no ill effects though I've never taken more than one a day. I wouldn't advise more than one. A friend of ours (40 years old without diabetes ) who's been eating ephedra , caffine tabs, drinking Red Bull along with heavy drinking (alcoholism) is having all kinds of problems with his heart now. I don't think one a day will hurt you but too many people are having issues after years of misuse to take any undo chances.
I personally will probally continue to use this product maybe once a day or every other but everything in moderation.
Hope this insight is helpful, Kate

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 4,003 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Buy Dried Nutritional Yeast. One Tablespoon in a glass of "insert beverage of your choice here" will give you more B Complex than you have ever seen. No caffeine (which raises my husband's BG about 25 points). It is a 'natural' product, too, nothing artificial. I tried finding out what those drinks were actually made of and could find no clue. They only talk about the added B's. No mystery, miracle drinks wanted here,

Not to mention the cost of those tiny containers. Yikes!

Janice

MikeJsimon

MikeJsimon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
A regular caffeine drinker's body adapts to having caffeine all the time. It has to produce more adenosine, which is a brain chemical which stops the release of our natural stimulants, dopamine and adrenalin. What happens then is that when we don't get our caffeine fix, we feel anxious, tired and unable to cope. This starts a vicious cycle which can have some serious health effects. It is interesting to know that as little as 100mg of caffeine a day - which is about 1 cup of coffee - is enough to cause withdrawal symptoms when we stop drinking caffeine.
Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well

networkguy

networkguy

• 500 plus
  • 451 posts
Energy drinks have zero effect on my blood sugars. I consume quite a bit of caffeine. That said, its not the caffeine in 5 hour that provides most of its energy...its taurine and tyrosine. 5 hour has the same caffeine as a regular cup of coffee. One cup.

If you want to read more about taurine here's the wiki: Taurine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the link for tyrosine is Tyrosine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A few excerpts:

Taurine in regularly used as an ingredient in energy drinks, with many containing 1000mg per serving,[16] and some as much as 1,420 mg.[17] A 2003 study by the European Food Safety Authority found no adverse effects for up to 1,000 mg of Taurine per kilogram of bodyweight per day; however this was in regards to Taurine alone, noting they did not compare the effects of Taurine when combined with the other ingredients in energy drinks.[18]

A review published in 2008 found no documented reports of negative health effects associated with the amount of taurine used in energy drinks, concluding that "The amounts of guarana, taurine, and ginseng found in popular energy drinks are far below the amounts expected to deliver either therapeutic benefits or adverse events".

Aside from being a proteogenic amino acid, tyrosine has a special role by virtue of the phenol functionality. It occurs in proteins that are part of signal transduction processes. It functions as a receiver of phosphate groups that are transferred by way of protein kinases (so-called receptor tyrosine kinases). Phosphorylation of the hydroxyl group changes the activity of the target protein. (It's an amino acid)

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

I've tried different energy drinks too, till I found out about this EFUSJON energy drink, not that it looses your weight, it is also the best natural energy drink. And if you would read the label, it is made from 100% all-natural ingredients and with no preservatives or additives, efusjon's energy drinks give you a rich, smooth flavor you can enjoy anytime - completely guilt-free. And I've found out on this site efusjon energy drink and it also provides job opportunities to some people.

I find it odd that you tote 100% natural. Bee stings are also 100% natural and have been known to send some people into anaphylactic shock and possible death (in the absence of medical assistance and/or epi pen administration). Same with peanuts for many people. Sometimes these natural ingredients can interact with medications and since the quantities aren't usually regulated, the chances of this can be variable and that can be dangerous at times. I avoid energy drinks for this reason. I know the chances of it interracting with my BP meds could be devastating. That, and I had a friend who drank them frequently and was taking ephedra and had a heart attack at 27 y/o. The heart attack was largely influenced by ephedra but they said the energy drinks were making it things a lot harder on his system.

Fawn

jumbo9312

jumbo9312

• 500 plus
  • 1,492 posts
I use the 5 hour energy drink when I play golf. I used to run out of gas the last 6 holes. So now I take it after the sixth hole. It gives me the boost that I need for the rest of my round.
Rod

"Do or do not...there is no try."
Yoda

dbaratta

dbaratta

• 500 plus
  • 1,673 posts
I don't trust those energy drinks, I would rather drink a cup of coffee. :)

but for me too much caffeine makes my BG go up. :eek:
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
The 5 hour energy drinks will drop my BG levels. I think it has to do with you wanting to move around after you drink it. It also has lots of Taurine, Bx's, caffiene, no sugar. They do work pretty good. I have found out that if your eating a healthy diet and taking the right Vitamins, they have little effect other than a cafiene buzz.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
Caffeine is metabolized by the polymorphic cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) enzyme. Individuals who are homozygous for the CYP1A2*1A allele are "rapid" caffeine metabolizers, whereas carriers of the variant CYP1A2*1F are "slow" caffeine metabolizers.

At present humans are roughly evenly divided between these two groups. There is as yet no commercially available test for this genetic trait - so most likely you don't know which you are.

This goes to all the controversy regarding caffeine being "good" or "bad" for you. Any studies or claims about it which disregard the fairly recent discovery aren't worth a cup of coffee.

Posted Image

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 5,159 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

You can get the same benefits from much cheaper beverages and a proper diet.

GREAT! So, how 'bout giving it up? I've got the "proper" diet thing covered, so let's skip past that. What beverage is it that you've tried that will "jack" me up for 5 hours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users