I am always cold!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
Ever since my bs #'s have been coming down and have settled around 6.0 - 6.5, I have been cold. Is it normal to be cold? I was used to wearing shorts and t-shirts all year long but now I'm in hoodies and blue jeans every day. Last summer I felt cooler than I ever remember in my entire life. I have frozen over repeatedly this winter and have had the shakes on several occasions.

Is it normal to feel cooler/colder when bs comes down?
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Ever since my bs #'s have been coming down and have settled around 6.0 - 6.5, I have been cold. Is it normal to be cold? I was used to wearing shorts and t-shirts all year long but now I'm in hoodies and blue jeans every day. Last summer I felt cooler than I ever remember in my entire life. I have frozen over repeatedly this winter and have had the shakes on several occasions.

? Got thyroxine? :D

Seriously, get your thyroid checked.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
Yeah, have thyroid levels checked.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
How do docs test for thyroid probs? I don't want more meds!

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

How do docs test for thyroid probs? I don't want more meds!

Simple blood draw.

THOSE meds are one a day, easy to take, and ... they make you FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. :D
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
If your thyroid is low-functioning, you may also notice slower growing, more brittle nails and/or hair, and skin that is dry. The main thing for me was being cold when other people were not. Like Linda said, the one little daily pill does a world of good, and it's a medicine I always need and want to take.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
What are the side effects of the drug? My hair has never looked better, no dry skin or brittle nails.

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,456 posts

Oddly I used to know a Debbie Sue from Kansas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

What are the side effects of the drug? My hair has never looked better, no dry skin or brittle nails.

I didn't either. Have always had oily skin and strong nails .... never noticed a change -- and my TSH was, like 85 at diagnosis -- ie, frank hypothyroidism!

I did have some horrible muscle pain, though, and plantar fasciitis (foot pain), had it a long time, it went away once I began the meds and I never realized it was a symptom till about 4 months later. I also had painful lactose intolerance for a couple years, I read in one text that that has to do with turnover of intestinal mucosal cells.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Oddly I used to know a Debbie Sue from Kansas.

We had a pretty successful crop of em, a few years back! ;)
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

We had a pretty successful crop of em, a few years back! ;)

Actually I'm originally from the Joplin, MO area and not a Kansas native. I do know having the name Debbie Sue makes me feel so old... blah! :T

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1

Hypothyroidism isn't the only possibility; just something to rule in or out easily. Plus, we (diabetics and women) very often have this issue. I've never experienced any side effects from synthroid or levothyroxine. But without it, I get a dull, ever increasing tiredness and susceptibility to cold . . . and eventually weight gain (about 5-10 lbs.).
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Actually I'm originally from the Joplin, MO area and not a Kansas native. I do know having the name Debbie Sue makes me feel so old... blah! :T

Take it from a Linda ... I feel that way a LOT, but we actually have a Linda MUCH YOUNGER than I, on here! :D And I know some pretty youthful Debbies, as well.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
It could also be that your body is "saving energy" by not producing as much heat as before. (see Basal Metabolic Rate). Body heat is produced by our cells and the thermostat can get turned down if the body does not have as much energy as before... or conversely it could have been turned up before when there was excess energy to dispose of. Do you find yourself more or less fidgety than before? Fidgeting is another way we use up energy we have to spare. Again, just a suggestion... not a definitive answer :)

Another question/possibility is: have you lost much weight recently? Less insulation AND less excess energy to use up.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
DebbieSue, it may be that you're on some meds that are "thinning your blood." Some BP meds, asprin, fish oil, all of these can cause your blood to thin....which can cause you to be more cold-sensitive, as well as to bruise more easily.

I notice i'm more cold natured than I used to be. I've always had cold feet, even as a child, but now I just feel the cold more than I use to. My thyroid checks out okay.

You may have had a thyroid test and just not realized it as part of your yearly physical, so check with your doc and see.

I wear socks all the time now.

BTW, Debbie Sue doesn't sound old to me..it's sounds southern. We're known for our "double names." I was "Linda Kay" before I got married and kept my maiden name as my middle name.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

It could also be that your body is "saving energy" by not producing as much heat as before. (see Basal Metabolic Rate). Body heat is produced by our cells and the thermostat can get turned down if the body does not have as much energy as before... or conversely it could have been turned up before when there was excess energy to dispose of. Do you find yourself more or less fidgety than before? Again, just a suggestion... not a definitive answer :)

Another question/possibility is: have you lost much weight recently? Less insulation AND less excess energy to use up.

As far as fidgity, seems like I'm not near as much as before dx'd with type 2 and having lower bsl. I have lost weight, but it was faster closer to dx's. I have put on a few pounds and I do feel better. The coldness has been going on since I hit the 6.0 mark. Sometimes I get severe shakes for a minute or two then it stops.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

As far as fidgity, seems like I'm not near as much as before dx'd with type 2 and having lower bsl. I have lost weight, but it was faster closer to dx's. I have put on a few pounds and I do feel better. The coldness has been going on since I hit the 6.0 mark. Sometimes I get severe shakes for a minute or two then it stops.

How restrictive is your diet? I hope you're not starving yourself?

I'd suggest that shakes -- other than shivering with the cold -- might need further investigation.

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts

I was born, raised, and graduated from high school in Joplin.
After my BG came down, I am cold natured - I may need to check it also. Didn't think of that. All my life, I wore shorts all winter and my wife always said I was like a Furnace. Never cold until dx'd. Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

I was born, raised, and graduated from high school in Joplin. Larry

Oh really? How chaz is that! I attended Columbia grade school, North Junior High and Memorial High School. I finished high school at Central christian academy in 1979. How about you?

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

How restrictive is your diet? I hope you're not starving yourself?

I'd suggest that shakes -- other than shivering with the cold -- might need further investigation.

Just controlling the carbs, between 75 and 100 a day. I have had Parathyroid surgery and had one of those glands removed. I don't know if that'd make any difference. Maybe menopause is starting up. I will be 50 this year...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users