Blood flooded infusion set

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts
Here's a pic of my last "blood flooded" infusion set!!!
Lovely isn't it? (NOT!)

Attached File  Bloodfloodedquickset.jpg   17.3KB   70 downloads

I've had this happen twice in four days!!! :(

I was first alerted to the problem with "uncomfortable pain" (and more pain than usual) in the site and sky rocketing BGLs.

Does anyone know why this happens?

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Not really, specifically, I guess you hit a blood vessel large enough to bleed out at the cannula hole. I've had it a couple of times. Seems like rotten luck to get it twice so close together. Was it a certain site area it happened?

Actually, I usually get some signs of blood up the cannula. Which is rather freaky and I am not sure what happens then - does it suck up then get pushed out again, leaving some trace (I haven't had blockage warnings at that time). Either way, I guess there is trauma at the site, and blood is seeping or forcing its way to the surface whatever way it can.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Ah, it's great to be reminded of the quirks of pumping, as this and other recent threads have. I'm just about to pop mine back on after a - 4 month? More? break. Wish me luck.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

DaleD

DaleD

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Last week had I had two in a row also. I figure that is my body's way of telling me something. I still got my insulin delivered though, it didn't affect anything and I didn't suspect it until I ripped off the infusion set to see red when I went to replace it as normal with a refill.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts

Ah, it's great to be reminded of the quirks of pumping, as this and other recent threads have. I'm just about to pop mine back on after a - 4 month? More? break. Wish me luck.

Good luck! That was quite a sizeable pumping holiday you had there ;)

Dx T1 Sept 2008

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts

Not really, specifically, I guess you hit a blood vessel large enough to bleed out at the cannula hole. I've had it a couple of times. Seems like rotten luck to get it twice so close together. Was it a certain site area it happened?

This didn't happen straight away, this was a day later?? On both occassions :confused:

Iv'e had a few occassions where I get bleeding in the cannula, bt not like this where it floods the entire prime site. :confused:

Dx T1 Sept 2008

RLK

RLK

• 500 plus
  • 856 posts
I've had it happen when I've knocked a site, or when there's just not enough fat at a site. For me, it happened more often with the straight sets than it does with the angled sets.

Have you lost weight? Using longer sets (9mm vs. 6mm)?
Becky
T1 since 1998
Pumping since 1999

Rebecca

Rebecca

• 500 plus
  • 188 posts
This is a very common occurance.. sorry.
This happens (along with blood up the tubing) when one hits dead on or nics a capliary inserting their set. When one sees blood like this or in the tubing, one shout pull that site and place it at a different area.. As the blood can (and will at times) clot off the cannula or even the tubing and cause the blood sugars to sky rocket (or some cases, some insulin is getting through to control bg's but they will be at a elevated number)

I have had this happen more times than I want to count.. gushers encluded
Type 1 since Feb, 1978....DX'd @ 3 years old
Cozmo Pump
Last HbA1c: 5.9 (02/02/2012)

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I have only had the cannula completely fill with blood once and it happened right as I inserted the set. I immediately removed it. I have seen a little blood in the tubing & cannula at times but it's very diluted, just pink and not very red like yours. Those usually clear up after I bolus and the set seems fine so I ignore it.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts

Good luck, Subby! Let us know how it goes. Are you going to stick with the same insulin? I hope it's a seamless, allergyless (I know that's not a word) transition for you.

Angelkitty,
That's a bummer! Maybe you did just nick a capillary? I've never had that specific thing happen. I've had traces of blood in the tubing though. Also, had my first "gusher" a few weeks ago...when I removed the set, blood gushed out...for a while. :eek:
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts

I've had it happen when I've knocked a site, or when there's just not enough fat at a site. For me, it happened more often with the straight sets than it does with the angled sets.

Have you lost weight? Using longer sets (9mm vs. 6mm)?

I hadn't thought about that - I have lost a few pounds and do use the longer sets (9mm). Looks like I better buy some 6mm sets pronto! Thanks! :)

This is a very common occurance.. sorry.
This happens (along with blood up the tubing) when one hits dead on or nics a capliary inserting their set. When one sees blood like this or in the tubing, one shout pull that site and place it at a different area.. As the blood can (and will at times) clot off the cannula or even the tubing and cause the blood sugars to sky rocket (or some cases, some insulin is getting through to control bg's but they will be at a elevated number)

I have had this happen more times than I want to count.. gushers encluded

I guess this is what must have happened to me, except delayed reaction?

I have only had the cannula completely fill with blood once and it happened right as I inserted the set. I immediately removed it. I have seen a little blood in the tubing & cannula at times but it's very diluted, just pink and not very red like yours. Those usually clear up after I bolus and the set seems fine so I ignore it.

I get that frequently as well, but those ones don't make my BGLs soar, guess I can say I have well and truly experienced a "bad set or two" :T

Angelkitty,
That's a bummer! Maybe you did just nick a capillary? I've never had that specific thing happen. I've had traces of blood in the tubing though. Also, had my first "gusher" a few weeks ago...when I removed the set, blood gushed out...for a while. :eek:

Fun and games! :cool:

Dx T1 Sept 2008

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Oh no AK! Definitely get you some 6mm sets instead of the 9s!

It sure is good to see you around again! Great picture!

Subby -- tell us how the switch goes . . . .
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

RLK

RLK

• 500 plus
  • 856 posts

I hadn't thought about that - I have lost a few pounds and do use the longer sets (9mm). Looks like I better buy some 6mm sets pronto! Thanks! :)

Hope that they solve this for you! Also, don't be afraid to try the angled ones. They look scary, but I find that they're more comfortable when I'm down at my "fightin' weight" ;)
Becky
T1 since 1998
Pumping since 1999

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts
[quote name='Jan B']It sure is good to see you around again! Great picture!
[QUOTE]

Thanks hon! Mwaah! Have missed you! :)

[quote name='RLK']Hope that they solve this for you! Also, don't be afraid to try the angled ones. They look scary, but I find that they're more comfortable when I'm down at my "fightin' weight" ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Will keep that in mind - :)

Dx T1 Sept 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users