Photo

getting a CDL while having diabetes... can anyone help?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

kplaut08

kplaut08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My boyfriend has diabetes and is trying to get his CDL lisence but they say it will take him four months to process his medical records. Is this the only way of going about this? Does anyone have any information on this issue?

howdysf

howdysf

• 500 plus
  • 597 posts

My boyfriend has diabetes and is trying to get his CDL lisence but they say it will take him four months to process his medical records. Is this the only way of going about this? Does anyone have any information on this issue?

what's a CDL license? California Drivers License?
Diagnosed T1 5/3/07
Check out my band Howdy!
www.outlawfolk.com

someone

someone

• 500 plus
  • 1,227 posts
I didn't even think people with diabetes could get a CDL, but upon researching, it looks like you can get one but you have to apply for a "federal diabetes exemption". Commercial Drivers' Licenses - American Diabetes Association
Type 1 diagnosed in 2003. Experience with MDI, Guardian RT, Dexcom Seven Plus, Animas 1250, Animas 2020. Currently using Minimed Paradigm 722 w/CGMS.
http://www.diatalk.org

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,456 posts

Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure why a diabetic would have any problems getting a flat screen, however, you will find it's quite the upgrade from an old clunky CRT monitor.

Enjoy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

Jae

Jae

• 500 plus
  • 193 posts
There are lots of rules for a CDL. He could have major issues but you also do not say if he is a type 1 or 2? On Insulin? I have a friend who just lost his CDL and is going on disability even thought he is a type 2. Then there is finding a job that will hire him they may not say that is why but there liability issues are huge. I wish you the best of luck!

:D

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
One other thing to consider - is he trying to get it for long-haul driving or local stuff? Rules for local (staying in one state) drivers are more lenient than for those that cross state lines.

valc3

valc3

• 500 plus
  • 3,169 posts
He can have a CDL. If he is on insulin he will only be able to drive intrastate(no long haul) I recommend contacting his local DMV and finding out what additional medical documentation(other than the CDL physical) they require .
Val

Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?

SarahW

SarahW

• 500 plus
  • 143 posts

Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure why a diabetic would have any problems getting a flat screen, however, you will find it's quite the upgrade from an old clunky CRT monitor.

Enjoy!

Wow. That was helpful.

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 3,726 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
My brother-in-law was a long distance driver. He had Type 2 and could not go on Insulin (as he needed) and stay over-the road. He choose the big bucks over life and died last year. At least it was in bed and not behind the wheel.

You did not say if your boyfriend was on insulin. Not too good a career choice, even if he isn't currently using insulin - the time may come when he will have to choose between losing the job and saving his life - it appears the choice is not as clear cut as I would have thought.

J

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

kplaut08

kplaut08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
He is on insulin. He has had diabetes since he was 6 and he is now 24. He has type I as well. He is in the process of filling out the forms for the CDL but the company he has to send it to supposedly takes 6 months to send it back. That is a very long time to process. So the question I was asking was does anyone know of anyone that knows how one can speed up the process.

fiesta

fiesta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Welcome to the forum kplaut,

We need to know what a CDL is before we can help you. Some here thinks it is a California Driver's License. If that is the case you have to go to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles.)

I do not see any way he can speed up the process.

If CDL means something else, let us know. Initials can have a lot of meanings. Please tell me what the initials CDL are and then we can give you ideas.

kplaut08

kplaut08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
CDL stands for commercial drivers lisence... you need it to drive commercial trucks

busdriverDan

busdriverDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have found that rules for CDL's vary greatly from state to state. Check the web site for your state's DMV.

mvg918

mvg918

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Usually they allow diabetics to have CDL if they are on diabetics pills not shots. You also need to have no glucose (sugar in your urine. I would be concered most about the Blood Pressure. This is the thing that seems to trip most of us up. under 140/90 is what is needed. I keep a nice blood pressure log I got from bloodpressurelog.net I show it to the doc doing my physical to prove i have had lower blood pressures usually though once you start recording it you have no worries and it is lower in the office as well

PlantCityRose

PlantCityRose

• 500 plus
  • 205 posts
Dx with T2 diabetes 1973. I got my first CDL in 1983, in Michigan. I moved to Florida in 1997. I still have a CDL. I did have to pass a physical. They didn't ask & I didn't tell. It truely depends on the company you are going to work for. I drove buses & heavy construction equipment. Yes, I'm a girl.
I won't renew it 'cause I'll be over 65 before I need to renew. I have not had any diabetic issues while driving so far. I also don't do long-haul driving any more. I'm retired and intend to stay that way.
basal: (30 - 35 units) Novolin N bolus: (I:C 1u:5g) Novolin R
Metformin - 500 mg x2 Lisinopril - 5 mg Furosemide - 10 mg

HbA1c
Jun 15, 2010 - 13.8, 272#, FBG 370
Aug 23, 2010 - 10.3, 236#, FBG 95
Nov 24, 2010 - 5.8, 226#, FBG 95
Feb 14, 2011 - 5.6, 216#, FBG 85
New Doctor: March 28, 2011 - 5.5, 214#, FBG 85
:D

"Angry people want you to see how powerful they are ~ loving people want you to see how powerful You are." Chief Red Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users