- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
Hi Guys,

I had to let go one of my favs since I was growing up , the spicy fried chicken from Popeyes. So, I decided to binge on 6 wings yesterday and a small mash potatoes with gravy, after 2 hours I was sitting still in front of my computer and boom my heart started racing and became instantly light-headed. My heart rate settled down after an hour after the episode but returned within the same hour again. I pretty much know it was the extremely sodium shock that I experience that produce the eventual spike. I bought low sodium bacon from oscar meyers today and will cut the high sodium foods out of my diet. Was a wake up call...

Daniel

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 3,996 posts
Maybe it was the sodium, but maybe it was the breading on the chicken (was it breaded?) and the mashed potatoes & gravy. Did you check your numbers when it was so extreme?

Keri

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6
VLC - No Meds

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
I have been using Soy Flour to bread our nightly fried chicken. Have to keep pieces thin, as it browns quickly - BUT it tastes good and there has been no problem from this meal with my husband's BG.

You could search on the internet and I am sure you can find the ingredients to re-create PopEyes at home using Soy.

Regards,
Janice
Type 2 Husband = 17 units Lantus in the AM

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
As someone with Diabetes I would first suspect an high BG -- especially after mashed potatoes and gravy. Did you test your BG?

Don't Popeyes have un-breaded chicken?

Hismouse

Hismouse

• 500 plus
  • 203 posts
When my BS goes up to fast and high my heart races,, sodium, hum never thought that would do it...
Type 1.5 since age 16, 38yrs of this Diabetes,
Novolin N 11 units Am and 11 at dinner
Diovan 20mg
HCTZ 12.5
D3 50,000 every week
Chelated magn

Psoriasis
Valley Fever
post Pheochromocytoma
So 1 Adrenal Gland in me
:)
A1C was 7 Oct/09
A1C is 6.8 Mar/10
A1c was 7.1 July/10

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I've heard MSG will do that too ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,414 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I've never had Popeye's chicken, but I have had KFC chicken. If you like chicken, have you tried KFC's grilled chicken? It's pretty good. I wouldn't recommend their fried chicken because they are now using that zero trans fatty acid oil, and that stuff tastes terrible. I decided to try their fried chicken once (I usually get the grilled chicken), and it tasted so bad and smelled so bad that I threw it away. The grilled chicken isn't as juicy as their fried chicken is, but it's good and it doesn't spike my numbers much.
Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(If at first you don't succeed, give up. The d*mn thing probably wasn't worth it anyway.):D

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
I love the grilled chicken from KFC but the problems are in 2 folds, one is the fact that they are expensive without much meat secondly, if you happen to leave it overnight it will taste like a concrete brick the next morning. I do try to eat the grill chicken at KFC so when it's hot and soft. But nothing beats Popeyes, and yes, they did have a grilled version but went off the menu co their fried chicken was so much better. I swear you can smell the sodium from the chicken.

You guys can check it out like I did at calorieking.com. That website was a God-send and super informative.

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users