Question about Units in a Lantus Pen.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,838 posts
My Diabetic doctor wants me to take 30 units of Lantus in the morning before breakfast and also my Novolog shot. My Lantus holds only 100 units and wondering if I can get a larger pen with more units so it will last longer?

My morning Lantus shot will only be one time a day. My Novolog shot will be three times a day.

Thanks, Rob

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Perhaps 150 units in your pen? I didn't think that size was still around.

The common capacity of pens, either disposable or refillable, is 300u. That's the size you want to ask your doctor to prescribe for.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Hi Rob43,

My husband's Lantus pens say they have 100 units/mL.

We dial up to 34 each morning for his shot and the pens last a l-o-n-g time.

Somehow I don't think 34 clicks on the pen are actually 34 units. Hope someone else can illuminate this for us.

Janice & Husband

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Are you sure it is not saying it uses u100 insulin? That is a reference to the strength of the insulin, not the amount. u100 is the common strength or potency of insulin. A much less common one is u500, it is 5x stronger. Youl would know if you use u500 insulin, it is used when people need a lot more insulin than typical and they would usually be aware of that.

It would be strange indeed if 34 clicks, or dialing to the number "34" is not a reference to 34 units.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
This is the way Lantus is packaged and sold. Most all of your pen insulins(Humalog, Novalog) are packaged and sold in the same amounts as pertaining to U-100 insulin.

Solution for injection 100 units/mL (U-100) in

•10 mL vials
•3 mL cartridge system for use in OptiClik (Insulin Delivery Device)
•3 mL SoloStar disposable insulin device (3)

The vials are the cheaper way to go... about half the cost. Pens are sold in package of five which = 15ml of insulin.:)
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Hi Stubby,

You make a good point there. It does say (U-100) after the part where it says 100 units/mL on the box.

Just did the shot and the marker on the vial part was on 200. Injected 34 clicks and the marker is now on 180. Go figure????

Need more info, for sure. :confused:

OK, just read more of the 'fine print' and it says the pen is Prefilled with 300mL.

Tomorrow, I will try and remember to pay attention to what the container reads after the shot. Matter of fact, I will put a 'sticky note' on the pen or else my age/addled brain will forget. :T

Don't want to 'hijack' Rob's thread. Do you think I should start another?

Janice

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Nope, I think this is very relevant to Rob's question. You've cleared it up for yourself - now you know how many units in one of your pens. But double check if it really says "300ml" though because that would be over a cup of insulin :) It should say either 3ml, or 300 units, they indicate the same amount.

Rob, you need to do the same, and check the amount, not the concentration - which is probably the 100 figure you are seeing.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
If you have any doubts about the accuracy of the dose: I notice that my needle box (Novofine) comes with directions for testing the function of the pen. Basically you dispense insulin into the pen needle cap which is designed for a certain volume

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,787 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

My Diabetic doctor wants me to take 30 units of Lantus in the morning before breakfast and also my Novolog shot. My Lantus holds only 100 units and wondering if I can get a larger pen with more units so it will last longer?

Lantus pens hold 308 units per pen. I don't really need to use any Lantus to clear the needle of air as the pressure in the pen usually produces a bead of insulin at the tip of the needle a few seconds after I screw it on.

At 30 units each morning your pen will last you 10 days. A box of pens (5) will last you 50 days. Lantus pens only hold 300 units so that they don't expire before you've used up the insulin in them. Pens are designed so that if you use at least 11 units a day (9 units and 2 units to clear the needle) the pen will be used up in 28 days. 11x28=308.

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,838 posts
My gray colored Lantus pen I think is only for seven days because I need 30 units a day. My Lantus pen says on it has only 100 units.

Thanks, Rob

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,676 posts
I think what is confusing everyone is how they are reading the pen. I have my pens in front of me and if you read it, it says it contains 100 units/ml. That means that it contains 100 units of insulin per milliliter. The pen contains 3 milliliters, so that means the pen has 300 units of insulin in it. The pen also says that it is a 3ml Prefilled pen.

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 576 posts
I have been taking 20 units of Lantus a day for about 10 years and have always used a 10ml vial and syringe. I don't trust the accuracy of a pen and find that the pen occasionally leaks slightly before and after injecting. I also take Byette by pen because that is the only way it is available so I am familiar with both. If I could switch Byette to a syringe, I would in a NY minute.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,838 posts
You would not believe what I will be paying for five shots from Wal-mart. It's 375.00 dollars. :eek:

Rob

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,787 posts
  • Location95965
$375 for 5 shots of Lantus at WalMart? Is there free Vaseline involved in this transaction?

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,838 posts

$375 for 5 shots of Lantus at WalMart? Is there free Vaseline involved in this transaction?

And this price is with my health insurance. One good thing is I get 80% money back at the end of the year. I would hate to think if I didn't have insurance what would the price be.

Rob

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,676 posts

I have been taking 20 units of Lantus a day for about 10 years and have always used a 10ml vial and syringe. I don't trust the accuracy of a pen and find that the pen occasionally leaks slightly before and after injecting. I also take Byette by pen because that is the only way it is available so I am familiar with both. If I could switch Byette to a syringe, I would in a NY minute.

I don't think you'll ever be able to get Byetta in a vial. The pre-measured dose you get from the pen is such a small quantity, that trying to use a syringe to take such a small dose would result in people taking too much.

Think about it.....in that little pen, you get 60 doses, each dose (depending on which pen you use, the 5 or the 10) contains 5 or 10 micrograms per milliliter. A milliliter contains 100 units of insulin, so one unit of insulin is .01 milliliter. One mcg of the Byetta is .001 milliliter, or about one tenth as much as one unit of insulin. That's a small amount.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 576 posts

You would not believe what I will be paying for five shots from Wal-mart. It's 375.00 dollars. :eek:

Rob

I get my Lantus from CVS/Caremark. I order 3 10ml vials at a time and the cost is $278; although after insurance, I pay $50.
The three vials contain 30ml or 3000 units which works out to 100 30 unit shots at a cost of $2.78 per shot. I would check with Walmart to compare the price of vials verses pens.

I think my math is right, but correct me if I am wrong.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,676 posts
The Lantus SoloStar pens do cost more than the vials do. I prefer the pens because they are easier to use, and easier to carry around with you. My only disadvantage is that I need a lot of insulin, so one pen only lasts me two days, whereas a vial would last me about a week. Since my insurance covers most of the cost, and my co-pay is only $50 for either one, I prefer the pens.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

sarahspins

sarahspins

• 500 plus
  • 862 posts

My gray colored Lantus pen I think is only for seven days because I need 30 units a day. My Lantus pen says on it has only 100 units.

You're clearly reading the label wrong. It has 100u/ml but it's a 3ml pen. It's right on the back....

Posted Image

At 30u a day, one pen should last you 10 days, which means the whole box should last about 50 days. It is MUCH cheaper to buy insulin in a vial though.. one vial (at about $90) will last you all month.. a box of 5 pens SHOULD retail at no more than about $240. If you're being charged more, shop around.
Sarah, T1 since 2000
PINGing Apidra along with Dexcom 7+

moorep299

moorep299

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
At Fruith Pharmacy where I get my Lantus pens I just paid $385 for the box of I think 5 and $165 for a vial of Novalog. I have no insurance and after I had the 2 strokes in Feb & Mar I am broke tried to get help but said my husbands disability puts us $45 over income. I personally have no income.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users