Photo

Regular Metformin versus Extended Release (XR)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Admirer

Admirer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I had a very strange experience and wondered if anyone else had a similar one. I was put on on regular metformin 500 twice daily last month and my max readings (1.5 hours after dinner) came down from around 12.0 to between 8.0 to 10.0 which meant it worked (and fasting from 7.5 to 6.0-6.5).

However, I often used to forget the evening dose so I asked my physician to prescribe me an extend release (XR) so that I take the 1000 mg dose it with my other meds and only once. However within a few days I noticed my reading went back up to what they used to be (Around 12.0 after dinner and around 7.0, fasting) which meant that the XR (may be because it was too slow release to be effective after meal) was virtually ineffective!!!!. Anyone else had similar experience with Met XR or an experience to the contrary?? Please share your experience. Thanks.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,055 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I take the metformin XR 500 mg twice a day and it works well. If twice daily dosing works best for your blood sugar, perhaps you could take your evening dose at bedtime--I take mine then, when I'm brushing my teeth and taking my vitamin...it's habit now to do it that way and I don't forget.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Admirer

Admirer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Linda for the response and advice.

The reason I changed to XR was that I thought I only have to take met once a day but if I have to take met XR also twice a day then I guess I stick to regular ones which have proven to work for me.

Regards,

Sneezer

Sneezer

• 500 plus
  • 113 posts
The main reason for the XR version is to get extended release and thus few GI side effects that many folks get with the regular stuff. Most folks still must take the XR twoce daily.

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
I have been on extended for over year. my dose was just increased and also switched to regular.

the regular or the small increase from 500 to 850. I dunno which or both, but things are much better now.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

reddi

reddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi For extended release tablets you can get the profile how it is releasing the medicament. In the lab they do dissolution test to know releasing pattern of medication. It should work for you even you take EX release tablet. For any reason if it is not working i advise you to take two tablets morning and night.

[url=http://www.healthplus24.com/Drug_information56/Metformin.aspx]Metformin is oral anti diabetic medication[/url]

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Another interesting aside from the CDE -- she said "WE (meaning all office, including other endo) ALWAYS presecribe XR met." Huh, guess someone missed that message?

She said it should work equivalent to the regular met, not more OR less. Wonder why the XR max dose is lower, then?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,198 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I was wondering if I should switch to the ER from the regular. I take 2550 of the regular in 3 doses. My problem is the dose I take at night wears off around 5 am in the morning so my bg goes up unless I wake up at 5 am and take the 2nd dose. I know it is DP, but it is driving me nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users