Why does Lantus sting only sometimes?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
I do every injection exactly the same way, always warming up the Lantus first. So why does the Lantus sting in about one out of three injections and not every time?

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
http://www.diabetesf...difference.html

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
Great article but it doesn't explain why Lantus stings only sometimes. Also, should I derive from this that Levemir does not sting at all?

jtausch

jtausch

• Members
  • 468 posts
I use levemir and it does not sting. I read somewhere that it is the PH of the lantus causes it to sting when injected. I is a different PH than you body so it can sting when you use it. Don't remeber tho where i read it.
Diagnosed: DEC-08-08: FBS 304 :A1c 12.2:mad:
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel 12-04-2012
Bayer contour next easy link
NEWEST: A1c 6.0 FBS 97 02/12/13:)
Plavix 75 mg;Aspirin 325 mg;Coreg 2.5 mg
Lisinopril 5.0 mg;Lipitor 20 mg

:)

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,187 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
Since Lantus needs a pH level of 4 in order to maintain a liquid state it's acidic in nature and will remain so until the fluids around your injection site neutralize it. Once the pH of Lantus reaches your body's pH level of 7.0 it crystalizes and starts releasing insulin.

Being a "subcutaneous" injection the Lantus is neutralized by the fat cells. The more fat cells around the injection site the quicker the Lantus neutralizes. Were you to use a needle that injected the Lantus deep into a fat area you'd never feel the acidic burn; fat cells have no pain receptors in them.

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts

Since Lantus needs a pH level of 4 in order to maintain a liquid state it's acidic in nature and will remain so until the fluids around your injection site neutralize it. Once the pH of Lantus reaches your body's pH level of 7.0 it crystalizes and starts releasing insulin.

Being a "subcutaneous" injection the Lantus is neutralized by the fat cells. The more fat cells around the injection site the quicker the Lantus neutralizes. Were you to use a needle that injected the Lantus deep into a fat area you'd never feel the acidic burn; fat cells have no pain receptors in them.

So this is could make a case for using longer needles.

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• Seniors
  • 4,026 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
This could account for the sting my husband is getting lately. He switched from 8mm length to 5mm length. It is considerable shorter. Looks more like a Rose thorn. :eek:

Never have to prime it, plug the thing in and it immediately forms a droplet.

The sting is not awful but at times a wake you up thing.

Interesting thread and that article, especially.

Thanks for the explanations,
Janice & Husband

NewdestinyX

NewdestinyX

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,591 posts

So this is could make a case for using longer needles.

Yes exactly. You can get longer needles. I use the 8mm and get a sting once every 20th injection or so. Not one in three for me. I always use the sides of my belly which still have 'plenty' of fat. And I press in the needle pretty good.

You implied you 'warm up' the Lantus each time. Are you putting the pen back in the frig every day? You shouldn't be. Leave it room temperature from the day you start a new pen. It will last for up to 35-40 days. Cold Lantus will always sting more. You're only supposed to be leaving un-started pens in the frig.
Grant

Dx 7/15/09 - A1c 10.6 :o; 10/26/09-7.2 :); 1/20/10-5.7 :D; 4/10/10-5.6 [Bayer Home Test] :D
Meds: Metformin XR 500mg-2/day, Lantus 16iu morning, Diovan 80mg-1/day,
Nexium 40mg-2/day, D3 2000iu, B12 2500mcg; Diet: for now, low carb:<70g/day
Weight mngm't: Down 30 lbs since Dx :thumbsup: Exercise reg: Biking in combo w/ 45 min at gym 3-4x/week

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts

Yes exactly. You can get longer needles. I use the 8mm and get a sting once every 20th injection or so. Not one in three for me. I always use the sides of my belly which still have 'plenty' of fat. And I press in the needle pretty good.

You implied you 'warm up' the Lantus each time. Are you putting the pen back in the frig every day? You shouldn't be. Leave it room temperature from the day you start a new pen. It will last for up to 35-40 days. Cold Lantus will always sting more. You're only supposed to be leaving un-started pens in the frig.

I don't use a pen. I use syringes with the 8mm needles. The Lantus is left out at room temperature, but after I fill the syringe, I warm it a little more by rolling it between my hands for a few seconds.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,187 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

I don't use a pen. I use syringes with the 8mm needles.

If you're feeling the sting a little too often, try a more acute angle with the needle. The more the angle towards vertical, the deeper the injection.

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

It will last for up to 35-40 days.

What is your source for this? The Lantus website gives the indication that a vial or pen should be discarded at 28 days.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users