- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

danlay

danlay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a not very healthy type2 diabetic-diagnosed about 3 years ago. I'm 58 and I haven't been particularly careful about my meds or diet- and I started smoking again- I know, I'm a fool.

Just this morning I noticed my entire right outer calf is covered in brown web like splotches- it looks like a topographic map, sort of. The splotches are not raised and neither hurt nor itch. They vary in size (Width) from about 1/16 inch to about 1/4 inch.They appear to be linked, as in roads on a map. This is my first post and I hope my lack of taking care of myself will not keep anyone from responding. I would like to know if anyone is familiar with this condition?

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
Please, do not feel badly about not taking care of yourself.

diabetes is hard work.

stay with us, we can help.

I have seen this brown spot question asked a few times here.
I think it may be no huge deal.

BUUUUUUT, reality says you have diabetes, therefore off to the doctor with you! have you been getting regular checks done?
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,783 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Welcome Danlay! Glad you found the forums. I'd encourage you to have your legs checked out, either by your regular physician or by a dermatologist. There are certain skin conditions that are common to diabetics, some require treatment, others don't, that's why it is important to have anything of concern evaluated.

The fact that you're posting tells me you are concerned about your diabetes and are motivated to improve it.

Tell us a little more about youself and how you manage your diabetes.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
My husband has that, has it since his 30's. I think it is a symptom of peripheral arterial insufficiency ... mild. Not too alarming but ask your doc. They do not do much in the way of physical dx anymore ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

TonyV

TonyV

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Danlay, welcome to the forum. You can get a lot of great advice and support here. Now I ask you....if you're this concerned with the splotchy veins that your seeing, how much more concerned will you be when your eyesite starts to falter, or your kidneys start to fail, or one of the myriad of other complications that can arise due to our common ailment. I can see by your post that you may be starting to feel a little sorry about not taking adequate care of yourself, but the fact is that you and I have diabetes and we need to deal with it or face potentially dire consequences. We can't make up totally for past failings but we can certainly strive to keep things from getting any worse. You know what you have to do, now lets get 'er done. Now get to the doctor and have those legs looked at, and embark on the road to healthier living.
Tony V

To array a man's will against his sickness is the supreme art of medicine. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Feb 2nd, 2010 dx Ac1 6.7
June 4th, 2010 Ac1 5.0 :D
metformin 2 X 1000mg

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,513 posts
I agree with the others. Off to see the Doctor. I hope to see you on here more often learning how to control you diabetes. It is a tricky, but the wise people on the forum can help you through this. They have been a wonderful source of information and support for me. Good Luck.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

danlay

danlay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you all for the encouragement- now if I can only muster the good sense to employ it. I will see my Doc next week and post my stats, but I expect them to be dismal . I've been really depressed and, well, I guess insane the past few years ,due mostly to divorce, and just didn't care what happened, but I hope I'm over the self loathing and can begin to try to rectify some of my misdeeds . My one and only 7mo old granddaughter seems to have motivated me. Quitting smoking is my first priority, unless my Doctor tells me otherwise.

TonyV

TonyV

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Its like the old Chinese proverb says....'The longest of journeys starts with but a single step'. I believe you've taken that step. We'll talk about that smoking thing in another thread. :thumbsup:
Tony V

To array a man's will against his sickness is the supreme art of medicine. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Feb 2nd, 2010 dx Ac1 6.7
June 4th, 2010 Ac1 5.0 :D
metformin 2 X 1000mg

LisaTypeI

LisaTypeI

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have had that skin condition off and on for a number of years. I use a pump and do take care of myself but I always wondered why my legs look like this sometimes. I still do not know.

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
Danlay, I have no ideas or advice on the skin condition except to see your doc. Just wanted to say welcome! We all screw up (put my name first on the list!). The most important thing is to learn from it and move on. I find it especially hard to take care of myself in regards to diabetes when other things in my life seem stressful. We understand and are here to support you! Hang around and take care!
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
I had brown spots like you have described for many years. Mine covered both legs from my ankles to several inches below my knees. I saw a dermatologist and he showed me a picture in a book with someone having the same type spots. He gave the problem a name, but that was so long ago that I cannot remember what it was. He told me it was harmless and NOT diabetes related. He also said the spots rarely show up on the upper legs, an never above the legs. I have seen similar spots on some people's faces, but that must be something completely different.

Now fast forward to the present time. I do not have those spots now. They gradually faded and vanished in recent years. Now how could that happen? I rarely have high blood sugar now that I use an insulin pump and a CGM. I had a lot of high blood sugar when the spots first began appearing. Is it possible that the spots are diabetes related and my better control caused them to disappear? I will never know, but I will always think that may be possible.
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
Hi and welcome to this wonderful forum Danlay, please have that checked thoroughly by your doctor asap.

Daniel

cloud9withu4eva

cloud9withu4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know this thread is a lil older...but i to was worried when i noticed all these brown spots on my legs..and so off back to the doctor i went..he said there there was nothing really they could do about the spots..as long as they are not raised or itch or hurt or bust open they are just spots from where the blood vessels leak i guess you could say...he said that nothing to be alarmed about it.

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 4,224 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • I am a:Type 2
brown spots on legs has been discussed here before.
Do a search for diabetic dermopathy
Dx Dec 07 Type2
Control...nutrition & exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users