- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Admirer

Admirer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I was put on 2X500 met by my doc a few months ago as I had recent borderline readings. I have been doing some research on the net and have come across some advertisements like Sugalor (or Levolar or proBeta and list goes on) for example claiming (and guaranteed) lowering blood suger by as much as 30 to 50%. My first reaction was too good to be true, but I was wondering if any of members of the board have tried any of these natural herbs claiming to lower BG??. Is this a fact or a fiction?.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,896 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
You'll find all sorts of "miracle/natural cures" available on line, for anything that ails you, not just diabetes. You may find a few that do actually work, but many are just ways to separate you from your money. We do have a few members who use them successfully, but i'm not sure it's the ones you are mentioning.

You'll find tons of testimonials on the benefits of metformin here on the forums...and it's available for $4 at Walmart. Metformin actually originates from the French Lilac, and is one of the most-used diabetic meds out there, usually a first line treatment for T2 diabetes.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Admirer

Admirer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Linda. Yes I am looking for those few that actually work but what are they??. If anyone has any success with any of the natural remedies please do share your experience. We can all greatly benefit from your personal experiences and your input will be highly appreciated.

Metformin is a drug and if I can replace it with a natural supplement having the same or better response, I would do it in a second. The minimum dose of met that I am taking is to some extend effective (reduced my fasting BG from 7 to 6 and my 1.5 hours after meal from 12 to 10) but still I am not happy to have readings above the recommended healthy threshshold of 7.8 for about 4-6 hours of the day. This can be damaging in the long term. If I can reduce it by a further 20% using something natural (don't wish to increase the medication dose though) that would be great. That is why I am looking for natural remedies to lower BG, if such thing really exists.

Abra

Abra

• 500 plus
  • 405 posts
I use MetaglycemX and Insinase daily. I found that my numbers did improve somewhat when I started taking them. Google them to find a supplier if you're interested.
Dx 7/09/09
A1c @ Dx 7.2
A1c 3/26/10 6.0
A1c 6/28 5.9
A1c 10/25 5.7
Lisinopril/HCTZ
Synthroid
Vitamin D
Metformin ER 2000

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
Go to the Opinions Needed thread. I have used a variety of herbs, some with subtle results while others have a dramatic result.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

Metformin is a drug and if I can replace it with a natural supplement having the same or better response, I would do it in a second.

What's natural in man is unnatural to nature, that is the very nature of being human.

Animals are "natural". I am not an animal, and I believe that once, if, you get over your misconceptions, are not either.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

What's natural in man is unnatural to nature, that is the very nature of being human.

Animals are "natural". I am not an animal, and I believe that once, if, you get over your misconceptions, are not either.

Ummm ... last time I checked I am very much an animal! Maybe watchin too much Discovery Channel? :D
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
We are part of nature, we do not exist outside of nature, we exist with in nature. Just as everything else does on this earth.

Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
met is God. well, okay not really. but I have learned to stop fighting it and bond with it.

and then there is diet and excersize.

when someone finds the miracle we will all know it. you won't miss it. trust me.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
Some supplements that I have found to have the biggest impact to me are, (they may not work for you)

Gymnema Sylvestrae
Bitter Melon
Resistant Starch
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Vanadyl Sulphate
Chromium Pichnolate
Vit D
B-12 methy
Magnesium Gyl

There are others. I had to try and determine what my problem was before I decided on what supp I needed. Some help with IR, some with Glucose transport, others with an out of control liver. YMMV

Here is a link to the thread in which I tried various different supps, my reactions and out comes. Be sure that you look up anything before you decide to take it, somethings as simple as cinn can have unwanted side effects.

http://www.diabetesf...ons-needed.html

Thanks Linda. Yes I am looking for those few that actually work but what are they??. If anyone has any success with any of the natural remedies please do share your experience. We can all greatly benefit from your personal experiences and your input will be highly appreciated.

Metformin is a drug and if I can replace it with a natural supplement having the same or better response, I would do it in a second. The minimum dose of met that I am taking is to some extend effective (reduced my fasting BG from 7 to 6 and my 1.5 hours after meal from 12 to 10) but still I am not happy to have readings above the recommended healthy threshshold of 7.8 for about 4-6 hours of the day. This can be damaging in the long term. If I can reduce it by a further 20% using something natural (don't wish to increase the medication dose though) that would be great. That is why I am looking for natural remedies to lower BG, if such thing really exists.

Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

Robertconroy

Robertconroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cinnamon is a miracle drug for lowering your blood sugar. Studies have shown it increases glucose metabolisn in fat 20 times, that's 2,000 percent! Got any prescription drugs that can do this? Try taking 1 teaspoon a day. Just sprinkle it in your hot tea or decaf, or any foods that go good with cinnamon.

Vinegar and lemon juce are miracle foods for lowering blood sugar. It's the acid, they think, that causes this. If you eat a salad with 4 teaspoons of vinegar in the dressing, it can lower your glycemic load for the whole meal my up to 33%. I found this out by accident, now it's well documented. This is huge! You can even buy pills of dried vinegar in health food stores now and also cinnamon extract. Even type 1s can lower the amount of insulin they need by eating low glycemic foods.

Alpha lipoic Acid is the most important suppliment for diabetics because it lowers blood sugar and protects against complications. It's been used for over 50 years in Europe to treat diabetes. Get this book: The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer. Read it and save your life, and several body parts!

TonyV

TonyV

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
If you can point me to just one reputable clinical study, performed on a significant number of people, double blind with a placebo group, then I'll consider a quote/unquote natural remedy. (French Lilacs aren't natural??...lmao...metformin, ie glucophage is one of the safest drugs known for anything.)
Tony V

To array a man's will against his sickness is the supreme art of medicine. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Feb 2nd, 2010 dx Ac1 6.7
June 4th, 2010 Ac1 5.0 :D
metformin 2 X 1000mg

Admirer

Admirer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
What you have commented is very consistent with what has been reported in the net by many different sources. Thanks Robert.

Cinnamon is a miracle drug for lowering your blood sugar. Studies have shown it increases glucose metabolisn in fat 20 times, that's 2,000 percent! Got any prescription drugs that can do this? Try taking 1 teaspoon a day. Just sprinkle it in your hot tea or decaf, or any foods that go good with cinnamon.

Vinegar and lemon juce are miracle foods for lowering blood sugar. It's the acid, they think, that causes this. If you eat a salad with 4 teaspoons of vinegar in the dressing, it can lower your glycemic load for the whole meal my up to 33%. I found this out by accident, now it's well documented. This is huge! You can even buy pills of dried vinegar in health food stores now and also cinnamon extract. Even type 1s can lower the amount of insulin they need by eating low glycemic foods.

Alpha lipoic Acid is the most important suppliment for diabetics because it lowers blood sugar and protects against complications. It's been used for over 50 years in Europe to treat diabetes. Get this book: The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer. Read it and save your life, and several body parts!

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
vinegar had no effect on my blood sugar.

or cinnamon.

its like I am a vampire.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users