- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

LoKarb

LoKarb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
At diagnosis, my ferritin was 460. Five months later it is 412. Any ideas how to bring it down? Shall I cut down on red meat, spinach? Or will it go away as I reduce my weight via Atkins style low carb that includes red meat? Is ferritin related to fatty liver, damage to liver etc.?

Moonpie

Moonpie

• Seniors
  • 3,927 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
you may want to get checked for hemochromatosis aka iron overload. It is common amongst those of Irish ancestry & some African nations too. It is a genetic disease, that can be cured by phlebotomy or blood donations. I have it, & see the dr every 3 months to check my iron levels, I will probably have to get some blood drawn later in the year. I read yesterday, online, that diabetes can be a symptom of hemochromatosis, so I am willing to try some blood draws to see if it helps on both counts ( D & H) It can be more serious in men rather than woman due to woman loosing blood every month in menstration. I only eat red meat once a month, I am so sick of chicken & fish. Pork is ok.

:D

Davidus416

Davidus416

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Hemochromatosis is sometimes missed as the cause of diabetes. It is easy to treat, requiring only frequent phlebotomies

jps

jps

• Seniors
  • 1,105 posts
It's not necessarily an iron issue. Ferritin can also act as an acute phase protein. Like a CRP or Sed-rate. In the case of elevation of acute phase proteins, it doesn't tell you with exactly what's wrong, just that something is wrong. Just like running a fever. You're running it for a reason, but the fever in itself can't tell you whether it's a bacterial infection, fungal infection, viral infection, etc.

I don't have it listed in my signature below, but as a laboratorian, I basically run most labs available to me on a regular basis.

At diagnosis, my ferritin was elevated:

Diagnosis Aug 08 Dec 08 Aug 09
Ferritin 687.4 (H) 342.8 (H) 130.0

Normal range: 10-274 ng/dL

As I gained and tightened my control, my ferritin fell into line. In fact, every single abnormal lab I had did the same (glucose, A1c, ALP, AST, ALT, Na, MG, CRP, TG, VLDL, Chol/HDL ratio, ferritin, transferrin, blood pressure, weight, pulse rate...

I blame the entire turnaround in every lab on proper nutrition, exercise and impending weight loss.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

LoKarb

LoKarb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Jps,

I see it as listed in your signature.

Thanks very much everybody. I read in the Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein that high ferritin levels cause liver insulin resistance and if one can bring them down, it can lower liver insulin resistance. Seems like my liver is inflammed although all my liver function tests are normal (within range). Biliburin is elevated but with normal limits.

LoKarb

LoKarb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

I blame the entire turnaround in every lab on proper nutrition, exercise and impending weight loss.

Does that include red meat? If so, how much on average per day? I love red meat. I can have a steak every day.

On a different note, on average, how much fat and unsaturated fat, and how many calories from food per day? Atkins says fats are okay, others say it is not, but how much fat per day is okay? I am a bit confused.

Cheers,
LK

jps

jps

• Seniors
  • 1,105 posts
You can't love red meat or pork as much as me. I've actually upped my meat (and fat) intake while skimping greatly on the carbs.

I don't use calories for anything. I eat when I'm hungry and stop just before I get full. I don't eat breads, rice, pasta, etc. No processed foods. I don't discriminate with natural fats either. I eat a ton of it - in the meat, in nuts, in cheese, in butter, all sorts of natural oils, etc. I still eat plenty of veggies, I love those too.

I'm one of those that falls into the camp that thinks natural fats aren't bad for you, so I don't worry about how much of it I have. I was very skeptical about going this route initially, but my labs and general well being are strong enough proof to myself.

With that being said, common sense does tell me that overindulgence of anything isn't going to be good in the long run. But there's a huge difference between being afraid of fat and overindulgence of fat.

PS, sorry, I didn't realize the ferritin was listed in my signature. I should have looked first - it would have saved me 10 minutes trying to find the records on this slow computer.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users