• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Mat

Mat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
as the title says...

just curious to some famous people (movie stars, sports stars and etc) that has Type 1 Diabetes...

Nicci

Nicci

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Halle Berry, and one of the Jonas brothers, and the blonde chick on American Idol (I'm from Australia, no idea what season it is or anything, and don't watch the show, but remember reading something today about it)

Celebrities With Diabetes | Type 1 | Type 2 | Insulin | Pancreas | Tommy Lee | Jackie Robinson | Anne Rice has a list:

They've mixed some type 1 and type 2's but you get the idea.

Halle Berry - Diabetes didn't stop her from appearing as the super-powered mutant Storm in the X-Men movies. However, her recent statement that she's gone from having type 1 to type 2 diabetes did raise a lot of eyebrows - because it's impossible!
Nick Jonas - This 14 year-old star of the pop rock band the Jonas Brothers was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2007.
Adam Morrison - Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14, Adam worked hard and made it all the way to the NBA where he plays basketball for the Charlotte Bobcats.
Gary Hall - This Olympic athlete didn't let type 1 diabetes stop him from earning a gold medal in swimming.
Mike Huckabee - This former preacher isn't letting diabetes stop him from running for the 2008 Republican nomination in his quest to be the President of the United States!
Elliott Yamin - After being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 16, he went on to become one of the top singers on American Idol in 2006.
Vanessa Williams - Not only was Vanessa the first African-American Miss America, she is also a diabetic.
Doug Burns - Mr. Universe doesn't let his type 1 diabetes stop him from being an award-winning bodybuilder.
Jackie Robinson - The first black baseball player in the major leagues had diabetes.
Anne Rice - The famous vampire novel writer is a diabetic.
George Lucas - The creator of the Star Wars saga is a very mild type 2 diabetic.
Chris Dudley - Before Adam Morrison, Chris Dudley played in the NBA with type 1 diabetes. Now he runs the Chris Dudley Organization to help kids with diabetes.
Bret Michaels - The lead singer of Poison was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age six.
Bill and John Davidson - The big bosses at Harley Davidson Motorcycles are diabetic.
Ray Kroc - The founder of McDonald's is diabetic. Big surprise? Not really.
Mikhail Gorbachev - The former leader of the Soviet Union is a diabetic.
Hatshepsut - According to historians, this long-dead female pharaoh of Egypt was a diabetic.
Johnny Cash - The famous country musician was a diabetic.
Evel Knievel - The most daring man to ever live was a diabetic.
Peter O'Tool - The famous actor, who voiced Anton Ego in Ratatouille, is a diabetic.
Elvis Presley - The former king of rock 'n roll had diabetes.
Sharon Stone - Halle's Catwoman co-star also suffers from type 1 diabetes.
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue drummer and one-time hubby to Pamela Anderson is diabetic.
Thomas Edison - The inventor of the light bulb was a diabetic.
HG Wells - The famed science-fiction author had diabetes.
Nicole Johnson - 1999's Miss America has diabetes.
Kendall Simmons - Busting heads on offense for the Pittsburgh Steelers keeps this diabetic athlete busy.

I'm pretty sure that there was a male skier in the winter Olympics that was type one.
Dx Dec 1st 1999
Animas 2020 Insulin Pump "Petey"
Using Novorapid
27/04/2010 :):)

A1C
21/05/09 - 9.7 :(
23/04/10 - 10.3 :mad:

Joeprep4820

Joeprep4820

• 500 plus
  • 1,009 posts
Former all star hockey player on the Stanley Cup winning Philadelphia Flyer team and current Philadelphia Flyer vice president Bobby Clarke is a long time Diabetic, Type I, and never let it stop him on the ice, even back in the mid 1970s when care was relatively primitive.

It's rumoured that Gaius Julius Caesar also was a Diabetic, but it is unknown if it is true or not.

Sonia Sotomayor is a Type I Diabetic, as is Jay Cutler, although judging from his performance on field I wouldn't consider that a point of pride.
Georgetown University Class of 2008
Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
Type I Diabetic since 1988
Pumper since 2007
12/09 A1C - 5.7
Complication free and keeping it that way
Go Hoyas!

SueM

SueM

• 500 plus
  • 1,399 posts
Do a search there are loads of threads on this subject.
Sue
Pumping using bovine insulin. (Pump kindly donated by Solox)

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,943 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Sir Steve Redgrave - has T1, and is one of only four people to ever win gold at five consecutive Olympics.

Basically, one of the greatest athletes who's ever lived.

It Ain't Over

It Ain't Over

• 500 plus
  • 581 posts
The spokeswoman for The Juvenile Diabetes Association for many years has been Mary Tyler Moore, a long time type 1.
Type 1 since September 1978. Pumper since 1998.

I want to die sleeping peacefully, - like my grandma; not screaming with horror, - like those, who were as passangers in her car.:ciao:

lizard99

lizard99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Jonathan Hayes - played for the Pittsburgh Steelers...currently tight end coach for the Cincinnati Bengals.
T1 - diagnosed 3/11/10
A1C 3/11/10 - 11.1
A1C 4/2/10 - 7.5
A1C 7/15/10 - 6.1

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
The only famous person I know with Type 1

is Jason

Posted Image

He must be famous. I know he knows someone famous - Saw it in a post. Hi Jason, where you been. Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

juan_perez

juan_perez

• 500 plus
  • 166 posts

George Lucas - The creator of the Star Wars saga is a very mild type 2 diabetic.

George Lucas does not have diabetes. His website (starwars) has clear information about that myth.

And "a very mild type 2 diabetic" sounds just wrong.

Have a nice day!!!

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,989 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1

The only famous person I know with Type 1

is Jason

Posted Image

They said "famous", Jason. Not notorious..... :T
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Joeprep4820

Joeprep4820

• 500 plus
  • 1,009 posts
Star guard for the Georgetown Hoyas, Austin Freeman, is a recently diagnosed Type I Diabetic.
Pumper since 2007
12/09 A1C - 5.7
Go Hoyas!

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
Still laughing Nancy!
Poor guy - I probably shouldn't have picked on him. Ha!!! Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,455 posts

Still laughing Nancy!
Poor guy - I probably shouldn't have picked on him. Ha!!! Larry

Was a great choice. :D BTW, my full name is Jason Troy Perry. I wonder if my mother might have been a fan of Greek mythology. :T

PS - A bit off topic, I also have heterochromia. My right eye is blue and my left eye is brown.

One very well known person also had this(Among many others of course), but the uniqueness this, is one was a student of Aristotle and the student, with the freaky eyes, was none other then Alexander the Great. Aristotle tutored Alexander when he was very young, around 13 or 14, and coined the word, heteroglaucous, for the condition Alexander had.

So I wonder if some people who have this condition, may also become a host for diabetes down the road, or already have it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,455 posts

They said "famous", Jason. Not notorious..... :T

I wish there was a single a word called "mornotorious". Yes, that would be even closer to the real Jason. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+++ Jason

lizard99

lizard99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Was a great choice. :D BTW, my full name is Jason Troy Perry. I wonder if my mother might have been a fan of Greek mythology. :T

PS - A bit off topic, I also have heterochromia. My right eye is blue and my left eye is brown.

One very well known person also had this(Among many others of course), but the uniqueness this, is one was a student of Aristotle and the student, with the freaky eyes, was none other then Alexander the Great. Aristotle tutored Alexander when he was very young, around 13 or 14, and coined the word, heteroglaucous, for the condition Alexander had.

So I wonder if some people who have this condition, may also become a host for diabetes down the road, or already have it.

my brother has 2 different colored eyes & has hemochromatosis - which is said to have a link to diabetes...but he doesn't have diabetes
T1 - diagnosed 3/11/10
A1C 3/11/10 - 11.1
A1C 4/2/10 - 7.5
A1C 7/15/10 - 6.1

It Ain't Over

It Ain't Over

• 500 plus
  • 581 posts

The famed rock star David Bowie has heterochromia. He is an... interesting character.
Type 1 since September 1978. Pumper since 1998.

I want to die sleeping peacefully, - like my grandma; not screaming with horror, - like those, who were as passangers in her car.:ciao:

Joeprep4820

Joeprep4820

• 500 plus
  • 1,009 posts

The famed rock star David Bowie has heterochromia. He is an... interesting character.

No, he doesn't. He was in a fistfight with a chap when he was 15, in which the other person punched him in the eye with a ringed finger. After surgeries, the doctors at best left his eye permanently dilated, giving people the false impression that his eye is a different color, when in fact they are the same color.
Pumper since 2007
12/09 A1C - 5.7
Go Hoyas!

Nicci

Nicci

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
juan_perez

I just copied from the webpage supplied, so I'm sorry for providing incorrect information.

:)
Dx Dec 1st 1999
Animas 2020 Insulin Pump "Petey"
Using Novorapid
27/04/2010 :):)

A1C
21/05/09 - 9.7 :(
23/04/10 - 10.3 :mad:

Rekarb

Rekarb

• 500 plus
  • 652 posts

In the movie, "28 Weeks Later", they were the carriers of the disease.

Mike
Dx'd 6/04/09 at dx -C - peptide > 1.5, GAD - Negative, BMI - 22, A1C - 9.9, FBS - 300

A1c 9/09 - 5.8, 12/16 -5.2, 3/18 - 5.6, 7/10 - 4.7
Was on Met and Insulin, now just diet (LC/HF)
Ketosis-Prone T2: http://www.annals.or...tract/144/5/350
Sudden onset T2 blog: http://ketosisprone.blogspot.com/

Delphinus

Delphinus

• 500 plus
  • 2,455 posts

In the movie, "28 Weeks Later", they were the carriers of the disease.

Mike

Oh yea, I remember that.

Freaky. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+++ Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users