Recycling Pens

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mussakka

Mussakka

• Seniors
  • 808 posts
We recycle everything else in our house, so I was wondering this morning as I tossed out yet another pen, does anyone recycle their insulin pens (or Byetta)? Do the manufacturers recycle them?
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
As far as I know, there's no way to recycle a flexpen. I even disassembled one to see if I could reuse it. No such luck (and it was a glassy mess!). You can get re-fillable metal pens - Novopen Jr. and Novopen 3 - and use small penfill cartridges for Novolog and Levemir. Much less waste. I wish this was the standard.

Jen

HeartMan

HeartMan

• Members
  • 366 posts
I can't recycle the pen part with the insulin, but I do recycle the caps, the large pen needle caps, the smaller needle covers, and the little disks that cover the lancet. My plastic shopping bag is almost full and it's bugging my wife. I consider it my diabetes ball of string that keeps growing.
Post Transplant Diabetes 2004
FreeStyle Lite, Accu-Chek Aviva, Contour USB meters
NovoLog & Levimir Insulins
A1C 04/10 5.8
A1C 08/10 5.6

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

I can't recycle the pen part with the insulin, but I do recycle the caps, the large pen needle caps, the smaller needle covers, and the little disks that cover the lancet. My plastic shopping bag is almost full and it's bugging my wife. I consider it my diabetes ball of string that keeps growing.

Does your town/city/county whatever actually recycle all that stuff? Here in NYC we're only allowed to put plastic that have the #s 1 or 2 into the recycling bins. Everything else goes into the trash. They're not set up to handle any other types of plastic.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

As far as I know, there's no way to recycle a flexpen. I even disassembled one to see if I could reuse it. No such luck (and it was a glassy mess!). You can get re-fillable metal pens - Novopen Jr. and Novopen 3 - and use small penfill cartridges for Novolog and Levemir. Much less waste. I wish this was the standard.

Jen

I used to use BD Mini pens that took 1.5ml cartridges. I was using NPH and Humalog and/or Regular at the time. The pens were called Mini because they dosed in 1/2 unit increments. Eventually Lilly stopped making the 1.5ml cartridges and I was unable to find any refillable pens that took the 3ml cartridges of Lilly insulins. I ended up having to use the disposable Humalog pens which I hated. Full units only and it was a big waste of plastic every time I finished one. I also tried taking it apart and found absolutely no way to reuse them.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

HeartMan

HeartMan

• Members
  • 366 posts
Does your town/city/county whatever actually recycle all that stuff? Here in NYC we're only allowed to put plastic that have the #s 1 or 2 into the recycling bins. Everything else goes into the trash. They're not set up to handle any other types of plastic.

A couple years ago the city combined all recyclables into one big blue can. Paper, plastics regardless of number stamped on the bottom, anything...gets put in the bin. We are told they sort it all and recycle what they can. I prefer to think they actually sort through it and use it...we do get recycling credits on our bill. But I have no idea what they do and how they do it.
Post Transplant Diabetes 2004
FreeStyle Lite, Accu-Chek Aviva, Contour USB meters
NovoLog & Levimir Insulins
A1C 04/10 5.8
A1C 08/10 5.6

Mussakka

Mussakka

• Seniors
  • 808 posts

I can't recycle the pen part with the insulin, but I do recycle the caps, the large pen needle caps, the smaller needle covers, and the little disks that cover the lancet.

That sounds like a pretty good compromise. I wish we could recycle the whole thing, but some is better than nothing.

I should have asked about plastic prescription containers too. I'd like to recycle those, but suspect they're prohibited because of the materials they used to contain.

Obviously this all varies depending on locality, but it's still nice to see what is done in different places.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

I should have asked about plastic prescription containers too. I'd like to recycle those, but suspect they're prohibited because of the materials they used to contain.

I only get one prescription pill and the vial it comes in has the #1 on the bottom and that means I can recycle it. I usually give it a quick rinse under water, peel the label off and put it with my other stuff. When I finish my Advair inhaler it has to go in the trash. More waste. :(
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

That sounds like a pretty good compromise. I wish we could recycle the whole thing, but some is better than nothing.

Obviously this all varies depending on locality, but it's still nice to see what is done in different places.

If you are interesting in cutting down your waste footprint substantially, refillable pens are definitely the way to go. They are not inconvenient to refill.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Don't know where my head was when I originally responded, but as for disposing of the pens (sometimes I can't get Levemir cartriges) and cartridges - I save all the spent ones and a couple of time a year take them, along with my used syringes, to our local hazardous waste drop off.

Jen

Mussakka

Mussakka

• Seniors
  • 808 posts

If you are interesting in cutting down your waste footprint substantially, refillable pens are definitely the way to go. They are not inconvenient to refill.

Thanks, Subby. I'll investigate that further. I suspect they might be cheaper as well, but we'll see.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users